Longest Big Game Kill With Rifle

In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?

• 0 to 200 yards

Votes: 1,160 26.4%
  • 201 to 400 yards

Votes: 1,438 32.7%
  • 401 to 600 yards

Votes: 1,020 23.2%
  • 601 to 800 yards

Votes: 460 10.5%
  • 801 to 1,000 yards

Votes: 168 3.8%
  • Over 1,000 yards

Votes: 153 3.5%

• Total voters
427 yards, upstate Newark Valley, New York on a friends farm with a cal 308, 180 grain Cor-lockt remington Roundnose. In over 150 deer harvested over 40 years no more than 10 went over 10 yards after being hit. I beleive now you have to order direct from Remington as very few dealers carry RN's. Everyone wants Spire points but they lack the shock factor that a roundnose has. Have used the same bullet all over this country, and it has never failed me. If anyone remembers the shots that were taken with the M-24 and M42, in Nam by Carlos Hathcock the .308 has all the distance and accuracy that was necessary. Accuracy was achieved with cal 308, 168grain BTHP from Lapua. It was called a Kate.

Best shots in the past 12 months. 2 hits on a coastal brown bear from an ocean floating 40 foot boat at an estimated 400 yards (rain was giving my RF fits) with a 375 Ruger and 270 grain TSX. 1st shot center punched as he was stepping up the bank from the beach. The shot spun the bear back down the beach to provide an opportunity for a 2nd shot. 2nd shot hit right behind the ear to put him down.

Now there's some shooting--and using a RF too! I've shot blacktails off bobbing boats off Hawkins and Hinchinbrooke islands years ago. Then you got to get them and if surf's up, well--you can imagine--but usually they won't present on the windward side due that biting wind. Challenging.

Now there's some shooting--and using a RF too! I've shot blacktails off bobbing boats off Hawkins and Hinchinbrooke islands years ago. Then you got to get them and if surf's up, well--you can imagine--but usually they won't present on the windward side due that biting wind. Challenging.

I tried using the RF but I wasn't getting any feedback due to the rain, so I had to make a quick estimate on the range. Luckily, my estimate was close enough to hit the bear twice. My estimate was 400 yards. I have no idea what the true range was. It wasn't a huge bear, but I'll never forget the kill shots.

My first ever big game kill yesterday :D 201 yards. 8 point buck taken using a Savage 10FP .308, with a Centerpoint 4x16x40 scope, firing 155gr A-Max at 2850 fps.

Used a standing position braced against an Oak tree.

605 yards, spike elk at the coast. .300 weatherby mkv with leupold 3.5-10x40 cds vx-3. 180g nosler accubonds at 3100fps. My first game animal taken at long range. I spent quite a bit of time in the woods practicing with this rifle/scope combo proofing the cds system at various ranges for my dad before the season for his very limited entry elk hunt in eastern oregon. So when general season came I packed it along having spent some time with it before the season. Now I have been bit by the long range bug and plan on building a long range shooter in the near future and get it set up and get some more shooting under my belt at greater distances. Then there is next year:D

How about 6 feet on an 6 point buck on opening day. I didn't think I could shoot that close with a scoped firearm but I did and hit the target. Wasn't pretty but did the job.

The buck walked right up to me from the side, I turned and there he was. I think he fogged my glasses..........:D

If I could have unholstered my .44 Smith I would have. (I carry a handgun on our property during season because we have a poacher problem). Actually, I carry a handgun at all times when on the property, season or not. You never know.....

Do I get a cookie for the closest shot?????

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.