Longest Big Game Kill With Rifle

In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?

• 0 to 200 yards

Votes: 1,160 26.4%
  • 201 to 400 yards

Votes: 1,438 32.7%
  • 401 to 600 yards

Votes: 1,020 23.2%
  • 601 to 800 yards

Votes: 460 10.5%
  • 801 to 1,000 yards

Votes: 168 3.8%
  • Over 1,000 yards

Votes: 153 3.5%

• Total voters
600 yards on a cow elk in New Mexico. A Fine Firearms built 6.5 RSAUM - 60 grns H1000 pushing a Hornady 143 ELD-X @ 3025FPS.

Question for you really long range shooters, how do you determine the quality of the animal your shooting?

I often glass out to 500 yards using Ziess 10 x40 but at any further distance it is tough to tell the quality of the animal escpecially in low light, or maybe my old eyes are just not what they should be. The longest kill I've had on a deer was 250 yards and that was doe so all I needed to determine was size and antlerless. I've only hunted elk once but was prepared to shoot 300 to 400 yards perhaps a little further but I had both cow and bull tags.

Not sure how you protect from ground skrinkage at those long distances, I see a lot of hunters miss judge deer inside 100 yards.

I cant speak for others...but i use a HD spotter with an 80mm obj on a tripod...I can count the tines at 1000y sometimes...

I would almost be inclined to say field judging is a little easier with some distance between you and the animal. It gives you some valuable time to really assess the animal. Being from the Midwest where the woods are so thick that you may not even see a whitetail until it's within 50yds trailing a hot doe, you might only have a couple seconds to decide whether or not to shoot, and with all the adrenaline in that situation it's easy to exaggerate the bucks size.

Overall, judging the quality comes mostly with practice and experience. When I began hunting in Alberta years ago, I found that the larger body size of the mature whitetails and mule deer often made the racks look smaller and lighter then they actually were, particularly at long range. While it's not always possible due to position of the game and time restrains, I will use my MOA reticle to measure width and height off the main beam. Once in position with a sold rest, it's easier then it seems using a 20x scope, particularly if you have practiced the math and have established a go-no go criteria. A few years ago hunting Wyoming I had originally used my reticle to gauge this atypicall rack at 800 yards and decided to go for him based on the height of his rack using my reticle which was more then 2MOA tall. Passed on him at 800 due to poor wind conditions but got lucky and shot him two days later a little closer(652 yards) with a more manageable wind. Not my farthest kill, but a great hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 35
512 yards, 6.5 creedmoor 140gr amax, savage 10 action, 22" loather walther, mdt chassis, swfa 10x moa, 252 lbs boar, 4" cutters.

720yds Cow Elk 338L, 833 yards 6pt Bull 300 Rum with 230's, My son 560yds with same RUM on a mule deer. At home, my buddies, many deer over 1000 with 1600 and some change being the furthest with a 338-378 Weatherby improved.

404 yards on a cow elk. buddies knocked down 2 out of herd of 150 then the herd took off running. they shouldn't have stopped to look back. when they did I put a accubond through both lungs of a cow that had gotten separated from the herd.
300 win mag, 180 accubond over 79 gr. H1000

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.