How Often Do You Hunt Big Game Out Of State?

How Often Do You Hunt Big Game Out Of State?

• Never so far, looking forward to it, though!

Votes: 531 38.4%
  • Once every 5 years.

Votes: 190 13.7%
  • About once every couple of years, my wife is great!

Votes: 332 24.0%
  • At least once every year, I am not married!

Votes: 331 23.9%

• Total voters
how do people afford to go hunting out of state every year? Not to mention out of country! Non-resident tags are EXTREMELY expensive. It'll take close to 15 years for me to draw an elk tag here in SD (with close to zero chance of ever drawing a big horn sheep), and going out of state is ridiculous in price.

One thing that I do is take at least one cow elk hunt each year. A Wyoming NR cow-calf tag is just over $ 300.00 , Colorado cow tags are under 400.00.
Cow hunts as a rule have high sucess rates, and you living in Rapid are pretty close to some good hunting in Wyoming and Colorado. Many ranchers will let you hunt for low trespass fees and some will let you cow hunt for free. The ranch I guide on in New Mexico on sells bull hunts for 9 to 12 thousands dollars, cow vouchers with 4 or 5 days unguided hunting are 550 to 600 dollars. Guided cow hunts are 300.00 a day there.
Trust me , if you're in shape, you don't have to be rich to kill elk in this day and age.

I lived in Alaska for 18 years and never hunted out of state, but now that I live in Pennsylvania, I try to go every year.
budira

guys,
in this world of ******** ,I must confess. I am married 30 years hunt all over the world and when the kids were little, my wife hunted with me,now they are grown and she just got back to it. out of state, out of country, wherever and just about whatever i can get a tag for,...................................all this from a guy in new York( 87 heads in my trophy room TRUE)
you folks have made my time on this sight enjoyable
Johnnygun)

First out of state hunt will be with a buddy that lives out in Montana next year, I cant wait! Hope that is the first of many yearly trips to that great state...till I eventually move there and I get to hunt as a resident :D

If ur a trophy hunter one must hunt areas where a higher percentage of those animals live. Which requires points. And in order to hunt often it requires multiple states. In order for this to happen one must set the ground rules early in a relationship and never waiver.

Its really not the same but I hunt WI every year and live in MN. The area in WI I hunt id a shorter drive than most of the areas I hunt in MN so although the tag costs more overall it costs less to hunt out of state for me. I do plan on going out in the western states more often too. I am married but its been for like 20 years and at this point she wants me out of the house. :D

Since I live in California it is a necessity to hunt out of state every year. I no longer donate my money to California Fish and Game or now Fish and Wildlife.

I live in North Idaho and it's nice to see some flat (flatter) ground than we have here. If you want a level surface here, you make it with a dozer ! Residents usually have one leg longer than the other to stand upright on the hills.

If ya live in Idaho why would you ever want to hunt out of state?

Except form maybe PDs and antelope.

Less hunter pressure overall and much nicer animals all around.

That's why I apply for AZ Elk, UT Elk, Nevada Elk, Deer and Pronghorn. I did draw a nice Elk Tag here in Idaho last year. I hunt out of state when I draw a tag.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.