BELOVED YELLOWSTONE WOLF'S KILLING BY TROPHY HUNTER

Like it or not the wolf is here to stay. There is no way they will be hunted out of existence. When they got rid of them the 1st time it was done with poison and paid for by the gov. The idea that if everyone does the shoot shovel and shut up and we can get rid of them is simply not realistic.

The other thing that gets me is when I hear guys say that all the elk are gone and the only thing left is wolves. This just doesn't make sense. Without game there is no wolves. If the elk are gone so are the wolves. If there is lots of wolves around then there is lots of game around as well. The game populations have been impacted for sure, and the game has changed their habits, making hunting different than it used to be.

Don't get me wrong, I am not glad they are here. But they are...
The Government Extremist and their bucket biologists played God and introduced these hybrid wolves on us telling us they would be delisted when ten packs were established. That never happened so now they're out of control and yes, we've reached a point of no return. Our moose in Montana should probably be listed as Endangered but the greenies in our FWP will deny there is even a problem! Your right about hunting and trapping not making a dent in them since over 70 % of the population would need to be removed yearly to even begin to reduce their numbers. So I say get out the poison and start removing a bunch of these packs to bring them down to reasonable numbers so our wildlife can start recovering.

The Government Extremist and their bucket biologists played God and introduced these hybrid wolves on us telling us they would be delisted when ten packs were established. That never happened so now they're out of control and yes, we've reached a point of no return. Our moose in Montana should probably be listed as Endangered but the greenies in our FWP will deny there is even a problem! Your right about hunting and trapping not making a dent in them since over 70 % of the population would need to be removed yearly to even begin to reduce their numbers. So I say get out the poison and start removing a bunch of these packs to bring them down to reasonable numbers so our wildlife can start recovering.
I for one can not take that kind of risk.

Are they not delisted? I shot 1. I think we are allowed to shoot 5 per year?

Is that, packs of humans? I'm all up for any population control or protection of valuable ranching resources or hunting in a sustainable fashion, but to think this is some issue that has nothing to do with humanity's encroachment and outright overpopulation, or worse yet, is political. As always, the real solution come out of more balanced thinking.

I won't take that kind of risk either but that wasn't my point. Yes they are delisted but your or my taking of a few or up to 5 a year (if you could even accomplish that!)isn't going to make enough difference as I stated previously. With the bitches dropping litters of 20 at a time It's a losing battle!

Is that, packs of humans? I'm all up for any population control or protection of valuable ranching resources or hunting in a sustainable fashion, but to think this is some issue that has nothing to do with humanity's encroachment and outright overpopulation, or worse yet, is political. As always, the real solution come out of more balanced thinking.
Yeah you nailed it. No balanced thinking when the Extremists and their activist judges politicized it to further their agendas!

If you can hunt them in the spring You can get them under control fairly fast. We kill coyotes in April n May. You go after the females. Hunt denning areas. They need the dens for the pups. Kill the female and you kill the litter too. The lactating females need to eat and come in readily to calls. Making the time to do it is the task.
I don't know the regs in the states that have wolves. I know how hard it is to mfg time in the spring. However if your a guide or rancher that can get people out on them it is a perfect time to get on them. Just the extra stress from winter hunting them can limit the amount of pups.
Start a networking group to get on them see them say something so someone can get out there to hunt them where they are now. Provide some insight or rent a room out to someone. I have people fly in and drive in to fish with me. Half of them stay at our house or on the boat(on the deck mostly) due to the hour they get here. If that wasn't an option they wouldn't or couldn't go because the extra 250+ for the room(summer tourist trap) is just out of the budget.
I'd love to come out to hunt wolves. I cannot make the time for big game seasons because I fish till about now. In the winter though if I had access and a way to move around with a good opportunity to be successful. That becomes attractive

The problem with only 5 tags is that only 10% of the hunters are successful afield. Of those ten percent some are just Outhouse lucky. 10% of the hunters that harvest critters are the only ones capable of repeatedly lowering wolf numbers. If my math is a little off, hope y'all get the picture.
SOME Sportspeople afield are only avgerage at best. MOST are below average. It takes quite a skill set to go deal with wolves on a daily bases, I am not for the use of poison in civilian hands but licensed, trained depredation officers using M44's or what have they....I'm all for it. The few incidentals that would occur....phfft.

Last edited:
As far as trapping goes, wolf trapping is expensive. The gear required should be top shelf. Traps, spare trap parts,chain,springs,drags, lure-sent-urine, snares(were legal). Snowmobiles, snowshoes, vehicle and possibly trailer. And a good bank acct to roll the whole venture. I would love to trap and call full time and use other animal fur to supplement something like that . But it's seasonal, the fur market dictates that.
Now if someone out there wants to do a go-fund-me. Shoot me a p.m., we'll make plans to go mess them up. I'm not saying I'm the guy that's needed to go put a whoopin' on the gray wolf population, I'm saying it's expensive as a sportsperson to get your 4 or 5 wolves a year. GOOD LUCK !!!

As far as trapping goes, wolf trapping is expensive. The gear required should be top shelf. Traps, spare trap parts,chain,springs,drags, lure-sent-urine, snares(were legal). Snowmobiles, snowshoes, vehicle and possibly trailer. And a good bank acct to roll the whole venture. I would love to trap and call full time and use other animal fur to supplement something like that . But it's seasonal, the fur market dictates that.
Now if someone out there wants to do a go-fund-me. Shoot me a p.m., we'll make plans to go mess them up. I'm not saying I'm the guy that's needed to go put a whoopin' on the gray wolf population, I'm saying it's expensive as a sportsperson to get your 4 or 5 wolves a year. GOOD LUCK !!!
This might help https://www.foundationforwildlifemanagement.org/

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.