Yellowstone wolf population is declining

Gee....what a brilliant observation...wolf numbers are down in Yellowstone......because they are allover the rest of the area.....no food in Yellowstone any longer..........would you stay there to.....
Hell..even the Neanderthals moved when the food sources were depleted.........friggin idiots....

The article was so short and the link has been provided so here is what it says:
By Mark Davis, Powell Tribune, Associated Press
POWELL, Wyo. (AP) – Officials say Yellowstone National Park's gray wolf population has dropped to about 80 wolves—less than half of the highest population mark in the park.

The Powell Tribune reported on Thursday that while park officials won't have an accurate count until the fall after surviving pups are visible, the park's top biologist, Doug Smith, doesn't expect the numbers to rise dramatically after litters are included in population estimates.

Smith says the survival rate of gray pups is only about 7%.

Smith says Yellowstone had as many as 174 wolves in the park in 2003.

Smith largely blames outbreaks of disease—including distemper, mange and the parvovirus—and packs moving out of the park for the decline.

Smith says the leading cause of natural mortality is wolves killing wolves.

Wolf numbers are also reportedly down in the Gros Ventre Wilderness as well after increased hunting quotas. Game managers are saying that has likely been the reason more elk wintered in that area than last year.
============================
I like the part about more elk wintering in Gros Ventre Wilderness. That's a good sign. My buddy hunts Idaho and says the elk populations have dropped dramatically (in his opinion) since the wolves arrived. Like any critter, wolves need to be monitored and managed, too, if balance is to be maintained. Seems like 'nature' is providing some management of it's own in Yellowstone ("distemper, mange, and parvovirus".)

Old hunters told Mt. FWP that this would happen, as game populations drop they would leave the park looking for more food. Park population may be down but pack population is up and the bunny huggers want more. If they want wolves plant them in their home states and not the northwest. Wolf counts have over 4000 animals in the Pacific Northwest and growing, elk populations took a nose dive. No more, the 3 S rule needs to go into effect.

It's time hunters take predators in our own hands. The courts and legislators are of no help as the bleeding hearts are in their pockets. Either we follow the the 3 rule, or there will not be big game animals to hunt. Don't tell your friends, family, and certainly no social media or pics. It's time to do what needs to be done with out pride and self.

I wish to thank all of you who still retain an ounce of brains, do not hug trees and still know 1 and 1 are still 2.
A wise man once told me " The uninformed are always the most positive" Hunters are those most aware of game population and management methods same as farmers know land. There are simply more of them in a direct relationship with the land than politicians and bean counters.
An idiot could have predicted the wolf's affect on game population.

As a child I grew up believing that Politicians, Police and Game wardens always told the truth.
I am here to tell you from personal experience this is NOT true today and this saddens me. Please know I am not for breaking the rules but if those that took an oath to serve and protect and enforce our laws are flawed and cannot be trusted who can we have faith in but our selves...... Then unfortunately 3s becomes a viable solution to a serious problem.
I lived in a state where I was a serious hunter of elk ( to the point my wife divorced me) and a state hunter safety instructor. I watched the Game and Fish offer 47 elk permits on a piece of property that historically didn't have a a single elk on it........yep, to all out of state hunters.

Could be a temporary thing, Animals migrate all the time, because of weather, food shortage or trying to enlarge their territory.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts