Yellowstone wolf population is declining

I was at a hunting and fishing seminar one time and one of the guest speakers was talking about hunting coyotes. One of the questions was regarding to killing them completely off. His response was if there was a nuclear bomb dropped and the entire earth was killed off that there would be 3 species that would still survive . Rats coyotes and roaches.
I think we have been trying to hunt rats to extinction for a while now. It's not working.

If wolf lovers wanted the wolves brought back, why didn't they reintroduce them in their own back yard. Wolves were wiped out in the East first, put a couple hundred on the east coast and see what happens. Lets see what happens to the deer,coyote populations. And the new elk populations that have been reintroduced to the East. Gone. Face it, gun grabbers want to get rid of game so one less reason to own a firearm.

........Funny stuff??
Please explain......

mtmuley and I disagree on a few things surrounding the wolf issue, and he doesn't require me to explain his thoughts. I can however explain why I "Liked it".

The "3 S's", and "smoke a pack a day" may sell a lot of bumper stickers, but grossly oversimplify the issue. Neither has any effect, and in my mind hurt the cause more than help it.

In general it's the hyperbole of folks feeling powerless to effect any real change.

The wolf, and grizzly are just the current poster child of the "green" movement. Kill them all and there is another snail darter, spotted owl, dusky frog etc. to weaponize.

None of these battles take place in the wood's, the solutions are in the political, and legal arena.

Shoot ,, Shovel ,,, Shut up.....
I actually had 2 game wardens on 2001 tell me about the 3S tag for mtn. lions at a bighorn seminar for a sheep tag I drew. The F&G werent for the moritorium . It was added it to a propsotion bill with other things in it. I bet half the people who voted for it didnt even know. Its BS multiple proposals can be included in one . Now you pay government hunters to kill and trap lions because of over pooulation and killing livestock . Deer herds get thin, move on to domesticated animals and people . I spoke with a warden I know in an area I was hunting. He told me they killed 22 lions I think it was there the year before. Only 5 that year. Don't let hunters do it. F&G couldnt use the money roght ? Ban hunting with hounds . Put the bear hunters out of business. Seems the anti's get there way with sympathic anti judges all too often . The wolf story is a giant **** show that has screwed up the balance in Wy. Id. and Mt. with more states to come.. at least Ut. had the balls to say no wolves.

I wish to thank all of you who still retain an ounce of brains, do not hug trees and still know 1 and 1 are still 2.
A wise man once told me " The uninformed are always the most positive" Hunters are those most aware of game population and management methods same as farmers know land. There are simply more of them in a direct relationship with the land than politicians and bean counters.
An idiot could have predicted the wolf's affect on game population.

As a child I grew up believing that Politicians, Police and Game wardens always told the truth.
I am here to tell you from personal experience this is NOT true today and this saddens me. Please know I am not for breaking the rules but if those that took an oath to serve and protect and enforce our laws are flawed and cannot be trusted who can we have faith in but our selves...... Then unfortunately 3s becomes a viable solution to a serious problem.
I lived in a state where I was a serious hunter of elk ( to the point my wife divorced me) and a state hunter safety instructor. I watched the Game and Fish offer 47 elk permits on a piece of property that historically didn't have a a single elk on it........yep, to all out of state hunters.
Very well said. Very true and I also HAD a wife like that 23 years ago. Fortunately we are like best friends to this day.

Like many, many, many for instances the government has stuck their butts into and made worse. Or flat out created a problem where none existed prior. The invasive species canadian timberwolf is part of Agenda 30, make no mistake. All part of the plan to make rural, self sufficient living too hard, too expensive, too dangerous, and push people into the large cities. Find a way to remove the game populations and we will be forced to buy food rather than hunt it. It's on the Georgia guide stones for peats sake. People keep sticking their heads in the sand, saying it doesn't effect them so they don't care, and things get worse. We all know what needs to be done. In regards to the wolves, and many other predators ruining our way of life. Sometimes I wonder where people's "line in the sand" is. If they even have one. The USFS stole the money to push forward the wolf introduction. They did so after the legislation was denied. They just stole the money and did it anyways without authority, 132 million if I remember correctly. Just like the USFS locks gates into public land every winter, and prevents us from accessing OUR lands. Then when they feel like it in the late summer they unlock the same gates. Never the same date, later and later every year. The USFS is left wing activists who violate rights constantly. Wolves being just one example.
Well said and unfortunately very true.

. Not managed by anti's and politicians. By state game management by hunting
Unfortunately here in Montana's region 1 are game is getting less and less managed by our F@G department and I'm convinced after attending some meetings and listening to comments are leaning more and more to the "green" side.
Until we get some politicians and F@G officials who want to fight the fight instead of stand on the sidelines were screwed.

My buddy & I hunted wolves hard in North Idaho for three years, using every technique in the book. We managed to kill one (1) wolf. Trappers, on the other hand, have much better luck. The Foundation for Wildlife Management, https://www.foundationforwildlifemanagement.org/, reimburses expenses up to $1,000 for each legally harvested wolf.

We are now dedicated to help raise money for the cause. The foundation's goal is to eventually increase reimbursements to $2,000 per wolf. We've made reimbursements for 575 wolves, which we estimate has saved 80,000 elk
to date.
mtmuley and I disagree on a few things surrounding the wolf issue, and he doesn't require me to explain his thoughts. I can however explain why I "Liked it".

The "3 S's", and "smoke a pack a day" may sell a lot of bumper stickers, but grossly oversimplify the issue. Neither has any effect, and in my mind hurt the cause more than help it.

In general it's the hyperbole of folks feeling powerless to effect any real change.

The wolf, and grizzly are just the current poster child of the "green" movement. Kill them all and there is another snail darter, spotted owl, dusky frog etc. to weaponize.

None of these battles take place in the wood's, the solutions are in the political, and legal arena.

I had a wolf in my front yard years ago south of Missoula(Remember the movie"A River Runs Through It", lived across the river from Lolo), towered over my 110 lb dog Airedale. FWP told me that the pack sends a female in to draw out a pet, then they kill them. Andie McDowell lost 2 dogs to wolves in 9 Mile area(she supported to bringing the wolves back), she moved shortly after that happened to N.C. I believe. Warden also told me if it happens again the 3s rule would work just fine. The wardens don't like them any more them we do. Wardens want to see successful hunters ,that's what makes game management work and they get to keep their jobs. Can't sell non-resident elk tags if there are no animals to harvest.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts