Whats wrong with the good ole 7mm?

My old R700 I received from my grandpa was rebarreled by Travis at R Bros & throated for Berger 180s. Easily reaches 3,000 and shoots 1/4". That was back when he had the time to true a factory action.
I had a 28 Nosler and loved it too. It dropped an elk on my only hunt out west. But I decided I needed a 338 Lapua if I was going to load that much powder. Needless to say, I hunt with the 7RM and the rest just sit in the safe.

Just wait until my belted 6.5 CM makes the scene! :D
Had you been around fifty years ago you would have witnessed the death of a very good and very popular belted 6.5 cartridge among long range hunters.
That being the 6.5x300 WBY. which first saw the light of day in the early fiftys.
And the cause of its death was a 162 gr 284 Hornady match bullet in a 9 twist barrel and a 300 WBY case.
The STW came along about a decade later, and shared the same performance level using the same bullets.
The 7 Ultra Mag. later yet, and only slightly better velocity if loaded to the max.
So the only thing thats really happened in the last 50 years is much more B S ing about cartridges, and a whole lot of how can we fool them today by the cartridge makers.
At least in the 6.5 and 7mm realm of it.
The larger cartridges owe their popularity to better machinery for building better actions than was available back then.

Gotcha, just wondering since you seemed like you stated you wished your LR was an 8T.

Well, only the fact that they seem like they improved it like after the fact, don't get me wrong
Gotcha, just wondering since you seemed like you stated you wished your LR was an 8T.
Well don't get me wrong I think a faster twist is better, the 9.25 isn't terrible but will work, but an 8t would stabilize better all across the board. They should have made improvements at the start of production not years after that model came out. For me it's not really an issue and another member on here with the same rifle uses180eldx and does just fine which I was surprised. I guess I'm saying I would have been a little happier if mine was 8t you know to keep up with modern times. I have always thought they've had the twist a touch on the slow side with 7mm

I'm actually not worried with my 7RM cuz I'm not going to go heavy with that. I'll stay somewhere in between likely no heavier than 168. I've got another guy with a much bigger appetite for powder and the heavy duty stuff. Although I may just have some fun trying the heavier ones in the RM just for some target fun
That's what I'm going to do with my STW's, that way I can push them fast.
I don't see needing anything bigger to handle any animal in North America out to 1000yds.

I've reloaded the 7RM for 36 years and the belt has NEVER been a problem. Retumbo and 168gr classic Berger have killed Bison, Elk and Moose. I still say the 7RM is still the best North American cartridge when you factor in killing power, ballistics, recoil, availability and factory loads.

If there ever was a match made in heaven, I think it is the 7mm RM with a high bc 160 bullet. That combo will cover alot of big game. I like a max load of reloader 22 behind them for a smidgen over 3000 fps. It just works!
I think that would cover just about everything in North America and Africa. Cape buff and possibly a brown bear excluded.

That's what I'm going to do with my STW's, that way I can push them fast.
I don't see needing anything bigger to handle any animal in North America out to 1000yds.
Especially since a few think tackling everything out there with a needmoor will do the trick. Some want to go after elk with a 243 or similar and think that's all you need. I'm not saying it won't do the job but it needs the right components but an elk gun it is not. The 7RM is about in the middle of the spectrum and has plenty of power for any game at most ranges and if the range needs to be way out there then bigger case is better.

Last edited:
Well don't get me wrong I think a faster twist is better, the 9.25 isn't terrible but will work, but an 8t would stabilize better all across the board. They should have made improvements at the start of production not years after that model came out. For me it's not really an issue and another member on here with the same rifle uses180eldx and does just fine which I was surprised. I guess I'm saying I would have been a little happier if mine was 8t you know to keep up with modern times. I have always thought they've had the twist a touch on the slow side with 7mm
I have 8, 8.4 and 9.25s and they all shoot 180s. Although an 8t is probly top choice I really cannot tell you why. I think it's because everyone "thinks" you need an 8t. But with all due respect, stable is stable. I completely understand what you're saying but I think for the topic of twist in the 7rm a 9.5 is sufficient for the heaviest bullets at most all hunting elevations. Except for maybe a rifle that's slower than 2650fps haha.

I've reloaded the 7RM for 36 years and the belt has NEVER been a problem. Retumbo and 168gr classic Berger have killed Bison, Elk and Moose. I still say the 7RM is still the best North American cartridge when you factor in killing power, ballistics, recoil, availability and factory loads.
Although I have migrated to heavier bullets for my 7s I still have one that eats 168s like skittles. That rifle doesn't get used much anymore but holy smokes it's a shooter! Retumbo behind a 168 in that 7mag still puts a smile on my face!!

Not a damned thing wrong with the 7mm Rem Magnum.

It just lacks the necessary energy for large game once you get past about 900yds.

As for the others, the WSM, 7mm-08, some people like the performance of the 7mm bullets but want a short action for a shorter/lighter rig.

Of course they can also be utilized in an AR format whereas the longer overall length of the long action 7's cannot and they are gaining popularity with AR format lovers.
My 280ai carries enough fpe at 1K to kill elk... I see no reason a 7Rem mag couldn't be loaded to do so.

Belt only becomes a problem if you're full length sizing correct?