Whats wrong with the good ole 7mm?

Whats wrong with it....NADA!! Its just that its NOT the latest and greatest 7mm WhizBang...or 7mmGeezelPete or..( you get the idea) Plus most of the new whiz bangs are shorter..so you save weight..( the weight of about 5/8" of receiver action weight!!!)
From dunc in canada.if you don't like the good old 7mm rem don't shoot it.i have shot this round for almost 40yrs and let me tell you I have never seen a moose walk away.yo much crap out there today and as far as making these so called 900yrd shots any good hunter would shorten up the distance or let it walk before you wound it or never find it.cheers

……And limited by bullet weight choices.

The best thing the .264 WM ever did was parent the 7 RM, and the offspring effectively cancelled out the parent. Many many times over.

I'd hate to be credited with the writing of that bogus article.
Well when you can run a 85gr HP over 3800fps and a 160gr PPSN over 3200fps have fun.

That's no trouble to accomplish, with sensible cartridge and caliber choices. I like long barrels anyhow, and I sure don't limit myself with wimpy sized cases.

In the last 2/3 of a century there have been quite a few advancements made concerning cartridges, bullets, efficiency AND performance.

By the way, what twist rate do you use for those bullets and velocity?

Well when you can run a 85gr HP over 3800fps and a 160gr PPSN over 3200fps have fun.
In a 6.5mm or 7mm?

Those numbers could be stomped with a 257cal and a 90gr hammer and a 135gr berger. Especially at distance.

Nothing wrong with a 264wm or 7RM. Both are very capable. Better cartridges and bullets have come to market post 9/11 though.

Last edited:
In a 6.5mm or 7mm?

Those numbers could be stomped with a 257cal and a 90gr hammer and a 135gr berger. Especially at distance.

Nothing wrong with a 264wm or 7RM. Both are very capable. Better cartridges and bullets have come to market post 9/11 though.
Better is subjective. Modernized is more proper. There is not a lick of difference between 308 win and 30 TC yet the latter is modernized and obsolete. There is not one thing the 7 PRC can do that the 7 Mag cannot also do (in the hunting sense). Likewise with the 300 PRC and 300 Win Mag. Likewise with the 375 Ruger and 375 H&H. Wait I'm starting to see a [Hornady] trend in this response...

That's also not even considering the 280 AI, which for all intents and purposes is 60+ years old at this point; it's the most "modern" standard cartridges in recent standardizations, sans the WBY RPMs.

Last edited:
It's not so much a matter of what 7mm cartridge is best and why. As a reloader and long range shooter. We want a case with our bullet choice that is tuneable. The 284 win and 7x6.5prc are two of the most tuneble and efficient 7mm's out there. Are they speed demons? No, not really. 2800 to 2900fps with 180 class bullets. That will never satisfy the velocity fan boys. Most 7mm magnums are over bore capacity. Most 7mm cartriges do the same thing. Some are easier to tune and keep tuned. That's how I look at it. Bullet choice is a huge plus as well.

I was thinking to myself today...with all of the off breeds of the 7mm Remington Magnum, do they really offer that much of an advantage? I am no shooting professional and will never claim to be! but I was looking through my reloading book and there is the 7mm Remington mag, 7wsm, 7stw, 7 ultra mag, 7mm-08, 7 short action ultra mag, and the list goes on. Lots and lots of options! actually kind of crazy how so many different rounds have been produced off of the 7mm. But I guess the 308 brass has brought many many new rounds to the world of shooters as well. Anyway, just some food for though. Gave me something to ponder on for a while today. I know that the 7 STW proved itself to be a really productive caliber, but is there really much that these new super ultra short hyper mags do that the boring little 7mm Remington cant?:D gun)

Have a good week everyone!
Not anything I loaded up some 160 grn Sierra game king and shot a 1/2" group at 100yds and moved it out to 300 a little less than a 1 1/2" group with my nothing special browning abolt 2 with a BOSS on it I absolutely love the old 7mm rem mag

Boils down to what you want and "need".
We certainly have options to get there thankfully.

I'm running 7/08, 7SS, 7RM, 7PRC now and I'm about to pick up a Mega.
They all use different bullets, some will certainly overlap, but I do appreciate the excellent results of .284
Versatile and for sure effective. For a long time now, and I don't see it changing in the future.