Whats wrong with the good ole 7mm?

Wasn't as accurate as I hoped (back when I thought Shilen barrels were the "be all end all") and the velocity just wasn't there. I have also become a big believer in cartridges formed from the .404 Jeffrey - 300 RUM, Edge, 28N, SAUMs, etc. For whatever reason, they all seem to be very accurate - kind of like the .308 Win case.
Mine has a Shilean barrel and is freaking stupid accurate.
However I have only used 140's so far and I stopped at the first big node on my ladder and it is running 3535. I didn't mess with seating depth, set my depth to run through the magazine and then started my ladder.

The only problem I've ever seen with the 7 mag is that most most of the older guns do not have a fast enough twist to shoot the heavyweight high BC VLD bullets. They do great with up to 160 grain bullets but won't stablize the heavier ones.
I have a 1962 model 700 with original stainless barrel and it handles 175 partitions or ABLR pills just fine.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 7 RM. Accurate, hard hitting cartridge. But, the belt will eventually doom it. Rounds like the 7PRC , 7SS, etc. Will take its place because they are easier to load and case life is much better. They are easier to manufacture than the RM because of the belt. The 7 RM "will" separate at the belt far sooner the the 7 PRC will have any issues. Just the way of things, progression of ammunition leaves the older designs behind.
I call BS on the 7 RM case separating. I still using brass I've been reloading since the early 70's. Some in excess of 15 loadings and still going. Just set your die properly and let your brass do its thing.

I just can't get over all of the whinin over the damm belt. Forget the belt, people...for the purpose of accuracy reloading, it doesn't exist. Headspace off of the sholder with a minimum bump and enjoy it!! If I had to pick the pros and cons of the 7mm, the belt would be twelvteenth on the list of cons. Same token... it wouldn't make my list at all on the pro side.

I agree on one thing...no Lapua brass.....Gotta love Lapua brass!!!
There's Peterson brass and adg brass. Wouldn't those help scrape by with the absence of lapua?

Most 7mm Remington Mags are 9.25" twist. They work great with 150 gr bullets. Much heavier creates a problem.
Yes most at 9.25 or 9.5 twist. But I know of several with factory barrels the shoot 168 and 180s well. I have a early 90s Ruger 77 that shoots 180 JLKs at 3/4 moa

I like the 280ai as an efficient 7mm round. Nearly the velocity as the 7mm Rem. Mag., that can run in a lighter gun, less recoil than many others mentioned, modern faster twist, not over bore and was legitimized as an SAAMI round so factory ammo is available for it.

I like the 280ai as an efficient 7mm round, it can be in a lighter rifle that the 7mmRM, less recoil, it's not over bore like some other 7mms, newer faster twist and since it was legitimized by SAAMI there are factory rifles and ammunition available.

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpeg
    IMG_1011.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 36
I just rebarreled my 7mm to 7PRC. It's not the belt, but the throating of the chamber doesn't allow longer, high BC bullets to be loaded without encroaching on case volume. I agree that accuracy with the 7mm was excellent, especially with Norma brass, 162gr Interlocks, and H-1000. The 24" 1:8 twist Proof barrel in the PRC shoots the 175 ELDX in the 0.3's at 3,025 fps with N560 and .120" jump to the rifling. I really think it's a step up in cartridge design and development.

Dr. I make the 7 mag work in spades with two changes that are not factory options. The SAAMI spec 7 Mag reamer has .110 freebore. So on custom, just get the gunsmith to use a unithroater to extend the throat to a point that you like. Then you deal with Mag OAL vs length to the lands. The Wyatt's extended mag box fixes this issue in spades in Rem 700s.

If I were starting from scratch with nothing, I would run 7 PRC, then jump to 28 Nosler for more horse power.

I like the 280ai as an efficient 7mm round, it can be in a lighter rifle that the 7mmRM, less recoil, it's not over bore like some other 7mms, newer faster twist and since it was legitimized by SAAMI there are factory rifles and ammunition available.
Just did one on an old 06 savage. Really like the round. 90% of my 7 mag at least withe less recoil and no belt.