This is whats wrong with hunting today

I'm partially posting this in response to the wonderful discussion @Huntnful started about smaller calibers. This is not a bash on small caliber hunters or anyone else for that matter (including the man in the video). Flash to the 5:50 mark and indulge. Please tell me that I'm not the only one who is shaking my head in disbelief that guys like this are presenting info to people as if the round is actually the "Ultimate hunting round" IMO this is preposterous, with highly inaccurate and incomplete comparisons. This is what's wrong with hunting and especially long range hunting these days. Wondering if I'm not the only one here?

Yea they are entertaining and I will say they opened my eyes to western hunting and how exciting it is. But I will also say that I dislike how much this man pushes hornady, nothing wrong with hornady at all but like someone in the comments here said, that the 22 does more damage than the 300 prc, I find that to be crazy. The 300 prc has been compared to a missile strike. I have also seen a bit of a personality change with Erick since all of his allegations game up against him.

I'm partially posting this in response to the wonderful discussion @Huntnful started about smaller calibers. This is not a bash on small caliber hunters or anyone else for that matter (including the man in the video). Flash to the 5:50 mark and indulge. Please tell me that I'm not the only one who is shaking my head in disbelief that guys like this are presenting info to people as if the round is actually the "Ultimate hunting round" IMO this is preposterous, with highly inaccurate and incomplete comparisons. This is what's wrong with hunting and especially long range hunting these days. Wondering if I'm not the only one here?

He does build pretty nice rifles though I will give him that 😂

The guy pretty much says the 22 hits harder than a 300 prc……….
No he said the carnage was more which I would expect especially on a bear, bigger bullet has more potential but that doesn't mean you unleash it.
Bears are light and a fast 22 impact will get more bullet function on lighter game than a larger, slower bullet. I'm always surprises just how light bears are constructed.

Last edited:
Even to 400 creed/260 is meeting all the metrics needed for the bullet to perform in tissue. Idk why it's supposed to magically stop working well above its expansion velocity (given you make an informed decision on which bullet you're using and know what it needs to expand)
Agreed

He stated why he didn't what to shoot bigger calibers. He's recoil sensitive and doesn't like the impact on his shoulder.
I'll bed my 6.5x47 with a 143 eldx has less recoil than that 22 caliber barrel burner. I know it does a better job at killing animals.

I'll bed my 6.5x47 with a 143 eldx has less recoil than that 22 caliber barrel burner. I know it does a better job at killing animals.
Doubtful.

I have a 6.5x47 and a 22-250AI. Felt recoil is noticeably lighter in the 22-250AI.

Neither one kills any faster than the other but I do have more DRT kills with the 22-250. Speed kills, period.

Doubtful.

I have a 6.5x47 and a 22-250AI. Felt recoil is noticeably lighter in the 22-250AI.

Neither one kills any faster than the other but I do have more DRT kills with the 22-250. Speed kills, period.
SPEED SPEED SPEED! You "speed" guys are funny. I just took a leak. NO ****ing match tonight, sir.

Really? Hmmmm. Looks pretty good to me. And yes velocity does matter. Velocity is what causes bullet upset.

Verified drop data from my 22-250AI shooting 90 grain ATips at 1250' ASL.

At elevation it will be even better.
View attachment 587538
Yes your bullet is maintaining speed but take a look at the next row over, energy, 200ftlbs? I'm not sure what big game your killing efficiency with that… it takes a bit more than that to get through tough hide, muscle and bone. Speed alone won't get you there.

Yes your bullet is maintaining speed but take a look at the next row over, energy, 200ftlbs? I'm not sure what big game your killing efficiency with that… it takes a bit more than that to get through tough hide, muscle and bone. Speed alone won't get you there.
Look at 800 or 1000, it has the impact velocity to open and the numbers are there if the shooter is on point!!

Look at 800 or 1000, it has the impact velocity to open and the numbers are there if the shooter is on point!!
That is "adequate" for deer sized animals but as you said if the shooter is on point, I've hunted long enough to know that there are too many variables in the woods. Why limit yourself, or worse wound an animal because you wanted to use the smallest possible bullet?

That is "adequate" for deer sized animals but as you said if the shooter is on point, I've hunted long enough to know that there are too many variables in the woods. Why limit yourself, or worse wound an animal because you wanted to use the smallest possible bullet?
Dead is dead, once your in those ranges you have to be on point regardless of what you shoot so shoot what you shoot the best. I've killed quite a few elk with thise kinda numbers. All you need is a bullet that hits with enough speed it opens and has enough SD to penetrative to the other side, killing is not that complicated.