This is whats wrong with hunting today

Variety is the spice of life. I too don't care what someone chooses to hunt with as long as it is within the regulations in the area they are hunting. There is no logical argument that will convince me that shooting a lower recoil cartridge is not easier to put more rounds on target in a shorter period of time at reasonable ranges. Conversely, I can't logically think that a larger bullet with the same characteristics except for dimensions will be less lethal than a smaller one on a large game animal. I rarely get the chance to shoot multiple times at a game animal. I want to trust that one trigger squeeze will be sufficient at quickly dropping the animal.

American big game (Elk to the biggest bears) calibers - fast 6.5mms (and cm is Not fast) to .375
Add muzzle velocity to the list of things that I don't understand why we care so much about

Terminal velocity is what decides how a bullet performs, not powder capacity or muzzle velocity. The same bullet isn't going to magically not work because it got started slower. If it works at 2k fps impact out of a weatherby, it works at 2k fps out of a creed/260

The only thing I take away from this thread is the small bore big game crowd has not convinced me on their arguments.

They get really mad when you use anything over a 6mm. You can't be accurate and surly can't handle recoil from a magnum cartridge. You'll completely miss the animal or gut shot it every time if the rifle has any recoil whatsoever. So…enter the 22 CM…the best cartridge ever, apparently. MULEYFREAK tells us as much…very poorly I might add.

I actually want to get rifles chambered in 22 and 6mm CM. Not for elk hunting, however.
I'm thinking coyote and deer rifles, respectively.

But don't listen to me…what do I know? My freezers look like this every winter…

Not to mention, you're not doing any long range hunting with a 22 caliber rifle.

Terminal velocity is what decides how a bullet performs
No argument.
The same bullet isn't going to magically not work because it got started slower.
More muzzle velocity will achieve greater ranges for the same bullet for the same terminal performance. You can easily look at the ballistics tables to see this correlation. Look at the same bullet in a 6.5 CM vs. a 6.5 PRC with average velocities rom those cartridges and compare the effective ranges. Or, a .308 win vs a 300 WM.

If you're a mono bullet shooter, high muzzle velocity equals better performance and increased effective range. Monos are very dependent on the right velocity IMO.

If you are not using rangefinders, ballistic solvers, and turret scopes in the field, fast, flat shooting cartridges make for easier shots up to a certain ranges (relative to the bullet and cartridge) as there is less bullet drop. Hunters have been doing this for decades with high stepping cartridges. Simply because those gadgets didn't exist until recently. I would argue this still isn't a bad method if you're budget minded and/or you don't want to mess with the tech.

No argument.

More muzzle velocity will achieve greater ranges for the same bullet for the same terminal performance. You can easily look at the ballistics tables to see this correlation. Look at the same bullet in a 6.5 CM vs. a 6.5 PRC with average velocities rom those cartridges and compare the effective ranges. Or, a .308 win vs a 300 WM.

If you're a mono bullet shooter, high muzzle velocity equals better performance and increased effective range. Monos are very dependent on the right velocity IMO.

If you are not using rangefinders, ballistic solvers, and turret scopes in the field, fast, flat shooting cartridges make for easier shots up to a certain ranges (relative to the bullet and cartridge) as there is less bullet drop. Hunters have been doing this for decades with high stepping cartridges. Simply because those gadgets didn't exist until recently. I would argue this still isn't a bad method if you're budget minded and/or you don't want to mess with the tech.
The person I responded to made it clear they were talking about typical hunting ranges and not lr hunting. 260/creeds have perfectly adequate terminal velocity within those distances, and it's why we should be listing terminal velocity with ranges on kills.

The rest of the stuff you said makes hunting without dope easier, but it does not change the terminal efficacy of the cartridge and make it not a big game cartridge

Len Backus, please close this subject (Title) out it will never end if you don't.
Here you go.
IMG_0547.jpeg

The person I responded to made it clear they were talking about typical hunting ranges and not lr hunting. 260/creeds have perfectly adequate terminal velocity within those distances, and it's why we should be listing terminal velocity with ranges on kills.

The rest of the stuff you said makes hunting without dope easier, but it does not change the terminal efficacy of the cartridge and make it not a big game cartridge
I see what you're getting at. Let's say 200 yards, for example. Not much difference with the 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC.

What data? Gun forum/internet data or published data?

I will admit, small cartridges and calibers allow for faster follow up shots. But, not enough to make it a game changer for me. If you know how to shoot a .30 cal magnum, you typically don't need a follow up shot.

So by your rational, if states wildlife agencies regulated caliber size to 6mm and below for big game, we would have far less game lost and all shots would be more "ethical?"
Bryan Litz's data.

I see what you're getting at. Let's say 200 yards, for example. Not much difference with the 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC.
Even to 400 creed/260 is meeting all the metrics needed for the bullet to perform in tissue. Idk why it's supposed to magically stop working well above its expansion velocity (given you make an informed decision on which bullet you're using and know what it needs to expand)

Recent Posts