This is whats wrong with hunting today

Dead is dead, once you're in those ranges you have to be on point regardless of what you shoot so shoot what you shoot the best. I've killed quite a few elk with thise kinda numbers. All you need is a bullet that hits with enough speed it opens and has enough SD to penetrative to the other side, killing is not that complicated.
Money! Dead is dead

And this is why people don't like participating in online discussion forums, opinions and anecdotal evidence are used as gospel in the face of data and science.
Uhhh, Long Range Hunting, kinda the point of the forum!!

I've done it and been doing it quite awhile, experience along side numbers to gauge the possible has kinda been what we've always done till the last few years as the experience on this forum has been driven away.

Last edited:
Can't we just all agree that hunting is awesome and guns are awesome and we all have love for accurate long range centerfire rifles! Opinions are great they can definitely open the eyes to certain subjects but let's be real we don't need 35 pages of hate and arguments haha BULLETS kill not the cartridge or the size. But hunting season is almost here boys! Let's get tbe
22 creeds sighted in and have some fun and put meat on the table! 😆😆😆

Uhhh, Long Range Hunting, kinda the point of the forum!!

I've done it and been doing it quite awhile, experience along side numbers to gauge the possible has kinda been what we've always done till the last few years as the experience on this forum has been driven away.
So your telling me you would take a quartering to shot on an elk at 800yds with a 22-250? If so read the prompt for this thread

So your telling me you would take a quartering to shot on an elk at 800yds with a 22-250? If so read the prompt for this thread.
Absolutely, if I set it up for it and shot it a few hundred rounds, ya a slight quartering away is the exact shot I'd look for to stay a little farther off the near shoulder, hit right above the heart, dead bull!! I'd be looking for the right condition, if the condition wasn't right pass the shot.

You seem to have failed to read through this thread, or even the opening statement. Opinions are subjective and new hunters read stuff like your opinion and think they can do the same. Again read the prompt.

You seem to have failed to read through this thread, or even the opening statement. Opinions are subjective and new hunters read stuff like your opinion and think they can do the same. Again read the prompt.
I've read it multiple times, I don't understand pounding a guy over a clean kill, yep, he's presenting info on a comparison we can poke hole in BUT in his context, factory ammo comparison he's just pulling data off boxes and he's closer to correct in his context than he's off.
If we go Fudd on every guy early in the process we'll be contributing to the death of hunting.
This guy has more pull in the industry in our current culture than 99% of this forum combined, do you really think the best way to push him or more importantly those who follow his channel, is this thread and how it presents this forum.
We want to influence them to do better, lift up the hunting tradition and industry there's probably a better track, especially on a forum that is the OG of redefining limits!!

Yes your bullet is maintaining speed but take a look at the next row over, energy, 200ftlbs? I'm not sure what big game your killing efficiency with that… it takes a bit more than that to get through tough hide, muscle and bone. Speed alone won't get you there.
I don't give 2 rips about energy. I've killed deer and pigs with a 300 blackout with subsonic rounds. At the muzzle it only carries about 400# of energy. At impact it's probably 250# or less. It's a useless metric for killing IMO. It just happens to be a side effect of velocity since velocity is squared in the equation to determine energy.

Velocity is what causes bullet upset and bullet upset is what causes tissue destruction and bleeding.

I don't give 2 rips about energy. I've killed deer and pigs with a 300 blackout with subsonic rounds. At the muzzle it only carries about 400# of energy. At impact it's probably 250# or less. It's a useless metric for killing IMO. It just happens to be a side effect of velocity since velocity is squared in the equation to determine energy.

Velocity is what causes bullet upset and bullet upset is what causes tissue destruction and bleeding.
I get complete lethal expansion with impact velocity in the 2000fps to 1600fps range at distance. So your opinion states that's too little velocity to create lethal expansion? I'm here to tell you it is. I've killed plenty of critters at 700 to 800 yards with a 175gr bullet going a measly 2800fps at the muzzle. You don't need Mach Jesus to make a bullet work. Small fast bullets just don't get get it done at distance. I'm talking 600yrds and beyond. You know, Long Range. That what we are here for, right?

PSA! 500 yards and less ain't long range.

I get complete lethal expansion with impact velocity in the 2000fps to 1600fps range at distance. So your opinion states that's too little velocity to create lethal expansion? I'm here to tell you it is. I've killed plenty of critters at 700 to 800 yards with a 175gr bullet going a measly 2800fps at the muzzle. You don't need Mach Jesus to make a bullet work. Small fast bullets just don't get get it done at distance. I'm talking 600yrds and beyond. You know, Long Range. That what we are here for, right?

PSA! 500 yards and less ain't long range.
No I never said that. In fact I never said that bigger caliber bullets wouldn't kill within their velocity threshold. I have plenty of larger caliber rifles and have killed long range with them. But I've also killed whitetail and pigs with my 22-250AI at over 600 yards so I suppose that meets your definition of long range.

It seems that people who want to argue that small calibers aren't effective killers have never tried it, are ignorant to it and just want to argue with no basis in facts.

Some of us are talking from experience.