This is whats wrong with hunting today

No I never said that. In fact I never said that bigger caliber bullets wouldn't kill within their velocity threshold. I have plenty of larger caliber rifles and have killed long range with them. But I've also killed whitetail and pigs with my 22-250AI at over 600 yards so I suppose that meets your definition of long range.

It seems that people who want to argue that small calibers aren't effective killers have never tried it, are ignorant to it and just want to argue with no basis in facts.

Some of us are talking from experience.
Dude. I have killed probably 100 pigs and a few deer with a .223 and a 22-250 using 60gr class bullets. I have plenty of experience with small calibers.

Ok, so they died?

Were they shot with heavy for cartridge bullets?
Never said they wouldn't kill stuff. Just not enough retained energy at distance to be as lethal as say a .284 140 to 175gr or a bullet of that sort. Velocity only gets so fare. Velocity will facilitate expansion but retained energy facilitates penetration. The bullet can expand all it wants, but without penetration, expansion means nothing. Seen to many light fast bullets blow up on the shoulder of a deer and did zero damage to vitals. Someone had to chase it down and kill it with a sufficient cartridge/bullet. Seen that situation more so on pigs. Just not reliable to shoot light fast bullets on game. End of rant. Good day to you, sir.

Whitetail deer and elk at long range are completely different targets. Hell a mature bull and a cow are different targets. This thread was opened because people are getting information that doesn't translate across species or even regions in this country. Long range hunting presents many variables. I've killed many things with many different weapon systems on several continents for work and pleasure. When someone says a 22-250 is a 1000yd elk rifle they are spreading bad information. You have to get the bullet INTO the vitals and with a 2+ second time of flight 300ft lbs of energy is insufficient to make ethical shots on game. If that animal turns or steps forward you have goat rope on your hands. In a perfect situation I'm sure it will work but if you've spent enough time in the woods you have surely run into an imperfect situation. That's exactly why there are minimum caliber requirements in certain areas. But do whatever you want don't get upset when someone calls you out on it based on the math.

Whitetail deer and elk at long range are completely different targets. Hell a mature bull and a cow are different targets. This thread was opened because people are getting information that doesn't translate across species or even regions in this country. Long range hunting presents many variables. I've killed many things with many different weapon systems on several continents for work and pleasure. When someone says a 22-250 is a 1000yd elk rifle they are spreading bad information. You have to get the bullet INTO the vitals and with a 2+ second time of flight 300ft lbs of energy is insufficient to make ethical shots on game. If that animal turns or steps forward you have goat rope on your hands. In a perfect situation I'm sure it will work but if you've spent enough time in the woods you have surely run into an imperfect situation. That's exactly why there are minimum caliber requirements in certain areas. But do whatever you want don't get upset when someone calls you out on it based on the math.
Ok lets address a small point of miss information. Time of flight, sticking with a 22 Creedmore 88 gr ELDm at 1000 yards, 1.21 second time of flight, 30 Sm with 245 Berger 1.25 time of flight, so we can eliminate that little bit of miss information.
I never saw anyone pimping this as the ultimate 1000 yard elk gun, I'm certainly not scared of the numbers at 600 yards since I've been there years ago with lighter bullets, these new bullet open up new doors.
Your way to hung up on energy numbers, these bullets have good sectional density, they get there with speed, your more likely to have issue up close that you are 6-800 yards.

Last edited:
Ok lets address a small point of miss information. Time of flight, sticking with a 22 Creedmore 88 gr ELDm at 1000 yards, 1.21 second time of flight, 30 Sm with 245 Berger 1.25 time of flight, so we can eliminate that little bit of miss information.
I never saw anyone pimping this as the ultimate 1000 yard elk gun, I'm certainly not scared of the numbers at 600 yards since I've been there years ago with lighter bullets, these new bullet open up new doors.
Your way to hung up on energy numbers, these bullets have good sectional density, they get there with speed, your more likely to have issue up close that you are 6-800 yards.
Well first you were the one saying this is a 1000yd elk gun. In fact YOU said that you would prefer an 800yd quartering to shot. Now your saying your not scared of a 600yd shot. My point is that if you have to look for the absolute perfect angle and wait until the target is asleep and every other variable is somehow not going to affect this one magical shot that you happen to have set up for and shot a few hundred times(your words go back and read) then maybe just MAYBE your not using enough gun and your trying to justify some square peg in a round hole. I think that is the answer to the original post….

IMG_2201.jpeg

Well first you were the one saying this is a 1000yd elk gun. In fact YOU said that you would prefer an 800yd quartering to shot. Now your saying your not scared of a 600yd shot. My point is that if you have to look for the absolute perfect angle and wait until the target is asleep and every other variable is somehow not going to affect this one magical shot that you happen to have set up for and shot a few hundred times(your words go back and read) then maybe just MAYBE your not using enough gun and your trying to justify some square peg in a round hole. I think that is the answer to the original post….
Did I ever say this is what I'd grab when heading out to kill an elk at 1000 yards, no, would I used one on the right condition yes, the numbers are there regardless of how you try to twist them.
I'm looking for a slight quartering away shot on EVERY elk I kill, regardless of what I'm packing.
I'm not taking 1000 yards shot on elk without putting a few hundred rounds on a gun, I've killed a lot of elk in that range coldbore, you don't do that consistently without steady shooting and enough shooting you can call the wind on the bullet your shooting.
If I was starting with a 22 creedmore this year I'd work it out just like any other rifle, first few will be in a easily known functional range to get a feel for the bullet then we push it to lower impact velocities, studying each wound channel, nothing I've said would surprise someone with experience at doing this!

Really? Hmmmm. Looks pretty good to me. And yes velocity does matter. Velocity is what causes bullet upset.

Verified drop data from my 22-250AI shooting 90 grain ATips at 1250' ASL.

At elevation it will be even better.
View attachment 587538
Well, what's your longest kill with the 22-250AI? Sure it looks great on paper, but does it actually perform at distance?

No I never said that. In fact I never said that bigger caliber bullets wouldn't kill within their velocity threshold. I have plenty of larger caliber rifles and have killed long range with them. But I've also killed whitetail and pigs with my 22-250AI at over 600 yards so I suppose that meets your definition of long range.

It seems that people who want to argue that small calibers aren't effective killers have never tried it, are ignorant to it and just want to argue with no basis in facts.

Some of us are talking from experience.
600 yards is only considered midrange in F Class. 😉

Well.................THERE goes 2 years of therapy.
Sorry bud I felt it was extremely appropriate for this conversation. Hope your day gets better knowing they have a short time of flight should help ease the concerns. And they're in Japan and on a windy day they have a very hard time finding their mark. I read all that on the internet so it must be true.