Nightforce vs Leupold

Does it make sense to go for the F2/2nd focal plane in the NX8 2.5-20x for a hunting rifle? Seems like having the larger reticle on the lower power end would be helpful. I don't mind dialing for longer shots (+300 yards). In +90% of my hunting shots (sub 300 yards) I just end up holding the center crosshairs on the animal.

I think for the NX8 4-32x, I would choose the F1/First Focal Plane model

It all comes down to the weight you need. If weight is no concern, The Night Force is hard to beat. If you want lightweight, get a Swarovski and don't look back. FFP vs SFP? for hunting SFP ALL DAY !!!

I cant believe so many on here have bad eyes:D

It all comes down to the weight you need. If weight is no concern, The Night Force is hard to beat. If you want lightweight, get a Swarovski and don't look back. FFP vs SFP? for hunting SFP ALL DAY !!!

I cant believe so many on here have bad eyes:D
It ain't about bad eyes. It's about using FFP for wind holds at any magnification rather than a fixed one at or near max magnification.

LOL! Yes, I understand what you are getting at: I'd put my Leupold, Zeiss.... against any scope out there as well.
Just pointing out that there are a lot of good scopes out there, and since the post was about NF or Leupold, either is a good choice so pick what fits your budget and your preference and Go have fun.

Well said. Choose what you like and get out in the woods

Have you ever watched YouTube videos of people torture testing their NX8s? Let's see ANY other scope be able to handle that. A car ride making a scope lose zero? Sounds like a crappy mounting job and loose scope to me

No, I have not watched any videos about scope torture testing.

I also don't throw my rifles off cliffs, use them to hammer logs into place, drive over them in my truck, tape explosives to them and set it off, or anything else ridiculous. Any scope can be broken, quickly and easily,
Nightforce is no exception. If nightforce was truly that superior to all other brands, it seems shocking that anyone, anywhere, would ever buy a single scope of another brand. My boss has Leupold, Nightforce, Swarovski, and Zeiss scopes, his personal favorites are the Zeiss, then Leupold.

Last edited:
Does it make sense to go for the F2/2nd focal plane in the NX8 2.5-20x for a hunting rifle? Seems like having the larger reticle on the lower power end would be helpful. I don't mind dialing for longer shots (+300 yards). In +90% of my hunting shots (sub 300 yards) I just end up holding the center crosshairs on the animal.

I think for the NX8 4-32x, I would choose the F1/First Focal Plane model
As you mentioned, for me it is situational. My PA gun is 2FP because it is all timber and shot distances are limited. Long range shooting and western hunting, I prefer 1FP for quick elevation adjustments and wind holds. Even if you dial, you can make quick and accurate adjustments with the reticle.

I'll also assume that you had it secured in a quality case? If so, riding 1100 miles on a paved highway in a quality case isn't a very good yardstick for determining the durability of an optic in my opinion.
It doesn't. Now 2 weeks in a side by side not in a case or two weeks on a horse will. Why i only run atacr anymore. Ive had tangent thetas fail and multiple zco fail. And many mark 5 fail. I got a 8-9 year old vx6 at the bottom of noahtuk river if anyone wants it for free. Just fly too kotzebue and fly north another 2.5 hours its yours…

I think the leupolds survive on the smaller guns. The big ones eat them up in my experience.

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a new scope to put on the top of a 7 PRC build I just finished. I have had a Nightforce NXS for a few years that I have been very happy with but would like something in first focal plane. I have been looking at the Nightforce NX8's. The 2.5-20x50 would be perfect I think but the short design will probably not fit on a long action with rail. I've seen some guys have used it on long actions but doesn't look like a great fit, especially if you want to keep it low. The 4-32x50 will fit fine, but I honestly think 32 power is way overkill for a long range hunting scope. I've heard some say it can be used to replace packing a spotter, but I don't see any other advantages.

This has left me looking at other options. The Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56 I think checks a lot of boxes. I just feel like I'll be giving up some durability compared to the Nightforce. Although the Mark 5 seems very popular in PRS and NRL Hunter lately and not many are using Nightforce. Is there a reason Nightforce isn't as popular?
I would never consider myself a scope snob but I do like quality and dependability. I ran Leupold for a long time 25 years or so. Bought my first Nightforce in 2013 and now they're all I own. The only thing you'll give up is weight. I've got SHV's NXS's and one ATACR and they all are as close to bulletproof as you can get.

Lots of pages - both brand high end scopes real pricy - is there any video available that shows internal workings upon disassembly. Any info provided as to glass standards such as birefringence, anti-reflective coatings & maximal light transmission enabling buyer to compare? Comparisons are usually anecdotal. I limit my scope purchases to $400 but no plastic lenses. The Nightforce scopes I have seen are really nice & I would like to try one out.

OP, As you can see by the replies in this thread, scope choices can be somewhat subjective.
All scopes are mechanical devices & can be subject to failure. I would recommend that you choose based on your own experience & or evaluation & rating of what features are most important to you in an optic. There are optics offerings with superior quality glass, performance, turrets, reticle, weight, controls, warranty, customer support, etc.

Get the one that best fits
Your requirements & see for Yourself !!

YMMV.

Somebody run the NF one where they freeze it in a block of ice then shoot it at close range with a shotgun a couple times, then pound spikes in with it .Remount and hit target at say 100

Recent Posts