Nightforce & Leupold

shooters

Dead horse I'm sure. I searched till my eyes bled. I'm almost certain I know the answer to this question. I'm upgrading from an NXS 5-22x50. The ATACR is my first choice and I'm sure the most obvious...but, with weight not being a concern (lighter or heavier) , the Mark 5HD Leupold and Vortex HD have caught My attention. I'm just not sure either is an upgrade over the NXS....or if they do in fact compete with the ATACR. My main priority is reliability (tuff) and then glass or optical clarity and brightness. Reliability not just in its ability to track consistently but also in any event of being dropped, kicked or falling on. I personally do not think the NXS has very good glass. I have several Nikons, Zeiss and a few Leupolds that seem to be brighter. Anyone have any comparison or real time behind a Mark 5HD and Vortex HD to compare.... and if they are not in the same category as an ATACR, then how does the Vortex HD and Leupold Mark5HD compare to each other? I have to get a purchase going before Sunday so any help would be great. Thanks

I've not played with them all, but I've played with many. And, I have yet to find any scope that I "trust" more than my Nightforce(s). I've looked through clearer, brighter, etc; however, when the game is on the line with a tag in hand a big game animal that needs shot I've yet to find a brand that, as a whole, I trust more.

As always, YMMV.

Mark 5 directly competes with the ATACR. Contrast, eyebox, parallax, turrets, and now reticles go to the ATACR IMO. But glass wise the MK5 is right there with the Gen II razor, ATACR, XRS II, and lots of other 2500+ optics coming from LOW.

You couldn't force me to pay what NXS still cost. ATACRs especially with the new reticles yeah, but i'd never fork out 1500-1800 for an NXS. There is much better quality glass to be had in that price range.

NF is a mainstay in reliability though up there with the best. Mk5 has been good though i've not seen any that don't track yet. I did see one member at the hide with a turret put on backwards.

I just ordered a MK5 5-25x56 with the new MOA option, I'm pretty pumped to get it set up.
I compared the MK5 side by side with a NF NSX and it blew it away in my opinion, this was at a store not the range.

I just ordered a MK5 5-25x56 with the new MOA option, I'm pretty pumped to get it set up.
I compared the MK5 side by side with a NF NSX and it blew it away in my opinion, this was at a store not the range.

Maybe, but the ACATR ALSO blows the NSX away.;) I think that it would be a true apples to apples test to compare the ATACR and the MK-5.

Check it out and let us know!!

Tod

Will the MK5 track as well as the NF?

Really no way to give an answer on this without a large sample of optics and repeated tracking test over time. Historically i'd put my money on NF winning in regards to the amount of failures per sample size. Though again there is no indication that the MK5 doesn't track through my own experience, 25+ pages on the hide of owners, and current guys running them in the PRS/NRL circuit. For the money it's an amazing scope and nipping at the heals of the $2500+ crowd. Speaking of the 5-25 of course. The 3.6-18 suffers a little more according to those i've talked to, but given the design i'm okay with that. I still want one for an SPR, i've only looked through the 3.6-18 at DST here, but had the 5-25 for a month or two.

Maybe, but the ACATR ALSO blows the NSX away.;) I think that it would be a true apples to apples test to compare the ATACR and the MK-5.

Check it out and let us know!!

Tod

Well I just ordered both the ATACR 5-25x56 and the Mark 5HD 5-25x55. I cannot wait to have them both in my hands. It's honestly hard for me to think that any Leupold could be in the ATACR class or category, but I guess I'll find out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.