Zeiss vs. Nightforce

farmer44

Does anyone really think that the quality of a Nightforce warrants double the price of a Zeiss. Im not shooting over 600 yds. All input appreciated.

Absolutely
I have found that when it comes to optics you pretty much get what you pay for. Now is the Shmidt&Bender and USO worth 75% more than the Nightforce? I do not know because I can not afford to find out. But those I know that have them say yes.
With optics you need to find your own comfort level. I know guys who can shoot an 6" group at 600 yds with iron sights. But that doesn't mean that I can.
I have a closet full of cheap binoculars because I was trying to "save money", if I had bought a set of Swarovski's in the first place I would have been WAY ahead.
I still have several Leupold VXIII's that I am pleased with. But for the most part I have moved up to Nightforce NXS for LR hunting rifles, and NF Benchrest models for F-Class and target work.
I have a Swaro range finder and would VERY much like to find something better, but the next significant step up is about $4k, Not ready to go there yet.
Good luck with your decision.

Dave

Well I have a friend who just picked up a new Nightforce $1700.00. I am anxious to compare it to my zeiss

For shooting 600, no and you only need 10x, if you feel better just use a little more magnification

Zeiss scopes have good glass & coatings along with repeatable mechanisms. They are quality scopes. Nightforce scopes are much heavier & are quality by any measure. If I was building a mountain rifle, or any rifle I would cary on long hunts, I would rate a Zeiss ahead of a Nightforce since it meets the requirements of THAT hunt better than the NightForce, but if I was building a heavy magnum for 1,000+ yard work Nightforce would be much better than the Zeiss. They are both quality, but they are different scopes optimized for different situations. I would likely lean towards Zeiss for any light/cary rifle & NightForce for a heavy rifle (if price didn't matter) even limiting yourself to 600 yards.

If this is a big-game rifle you'll never shoot over 600 yards, I would likely choose the Zeiss with the Rapid-Z 800 reticle — even if the NightForce was the same price, and even if it's a heavy rifle.

Interesting reply, I have the Zeiss on a Savage 10fp 308 sniper just had a very good brake installed and anxious to see how it performs at 600 yards. Then I will work on a custom 6.5x47 lapua or a 338 lapua.

I'm with Buano on this one....

I have a Zeiss on an extreme long range rig as that was all I thought I could afford at the time. It serves me very very well.

I also have an NXS on an even more extreme long range rig. It is better than the Zeiss in that weight is not a problem with this rig and I like the NPR-1 reticle better than the duplex. Oh, and since I learned that the reticle illuminates its a great plus.

Roy, I feel your pain.

First NF I bought I cussed, yelled, turned red in the face, had steam blowing out my ears and practically disassembled the entire thing before my wife came downstairs to my man room and asked me what my problem was because she could hear cussing and yelling upstairs. I told her my new high dollar NF scope was a *** and didn't work right. She suggested I read the instructions and within seconds it was lighted. I really hate it when she does that.

Roy, I feel your pain.

First NF I bought I cussed, yelled, turned red in the face, had steam blowing out my ears and practically disassembled the entire thing before my wife came downstairs to my man room and asked me what my problem was because she could hear cussing and yelling upstairs. I told her my new high dollar NF scope was a *** and didn't work right. She suggested I read the instructions and within seconds it was lighted. I really hate it when she does that.

Read the directions? You didn't!

(OK, I admit I once read directions too. I found I didn't like being told how to do things — then I got married.)

If you decide to buy a Nightforce, I would talk to Mike at CS TACTICAL . His customer service is top notch and always kept me updated with my order by phone and email. He is the kind of guy if he messes up, he will let you know immediately and make it right. Straight shooter.

Joel

Is the Nightforce NXS worth double the Zeiss? To me it is.....but not if 600 yards is your max limit. Where the Nightforce really shines is at the longer ranges. If 600 yards is your max, then the Zeiss will probably get the job done for you; and you would not appreciate the difference provided by the additional $800 spent for the Nightforce unit.

why get something that limits you, trust me first your goal is 600 then 8 then 1000 then after that 1200 and so on and so on. Id get the night force and get a 5.5-22 or 8-32. You will have a hard time out growing one of them. plus there bullet proof, had 4 for going on ten years and have never had a lick of problems. Im not saying im a professional here but in my opinion nightforces are well worth the cash.

Many different thoughts and I appreciate all of them. I will wait if for a good deal on a Nightforce, thanks again everyone

I have a ziess 6.5 x 20 x 50 nice scope good glass decent turrets but limited in the internal adjustment (no problem for 600) I also have a 6500 bushnell again decent more magnification then the ziess but I feel the ziess is a better scope , but in the end I still bought a nightforce I do not think the glass is any better then the n/f but the n/f has way more adjustment nicer turrets and way more robust.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.