Nightforce & Leupold

I have the Mark V in mil/mil, CCH reticle, and I love it. Very clear. Several guys with Nightforce, Vortex and S&B have looked through it and thought the same. Leupold has a lifetime warranty, Nightforce only gives 10year warranty. I wouldn't be disappointed with either.

Besides us optics none of the scopes assembled in this country have glass made in the states.
Light optical works makes Nightforce glass last I knew. It's Japanese glass but ---- good glass. I don't know that Ziess make any better glass.
The nxs is hard to beat in the reliability department. They are built like a tank.

I'm almost positive USO outsources their glass as well. Though AMG's glass is 100% US made. The only non-US part in it is the reticle which comes from Germany.

I have had a Leupold Mk 8 and currently have vortex razor HD AMG and Nightforce ATACR. They are all "good" but I like the Nightforce reticles and controls (e.g., turrets, illumination, etc.) best. If I was in the market for a new scope, I would look at the new Nightforce first. Euro optic has some good sales and demo items that will reduce the Nightforce prices a bit.

I have a brand new ATACR C-545 5X25X56 In my lap right now I just opened it!
On the bottom it says..Developed..Assembled..Verified in USA and across from that
it says..Manufactured with US and imported components..Like I said it's new
A buddy of mine got it for me and gave me a Super Price!
And it has a Limited Lifetime Warranty..?

Last edited:
I'm almost positive USO outsources their glass as well. Though AMG's glass is 100% US made. The only non-US part in it is the reticle which comes from Germany.

I was under the understanding that us optics made their glass and tubes in house. If that's not true anymore that's disappointing.

I have a brand new ATACR C-545 5X25X56 In my lap right now I just opened it!
On the bottom it says..Developed..Assembled..Verified in USA and across from that
it says..Manufactured with US and imported components..Like I said it's new
A buddy of mine got it for me and gave me a Super Price!
And it has a Limited Lifetime Warranty..?
first focal plane usa second focal plane japan

Do you have any sources? I've been curious about this for awhile.

Thought i read that from ILya but i couldn't find the thread i was looking for on the old old hide. Read schott several times but no confirmation. I still think it's outsourced though. It might be in that review of the LR17 from bigjim. Im curious now that i can't find what i was looking for. Wonder if they'd answer that through email.

Though truthfully it doesn't matter as much as people think. Prime example is how good of glass LOW is putting out. Athlon, delta, vortex, nightforce, etc. all using glass from LOW all phenomenal optics. I mean i get wanting to keep it in the US and don't disagree but i understand that's not financially feasible sometimes. The only high end optic right now that i know is using American glass less it's changed is the AMG.

Dead horse I'm sure. I searched till my eyes bled. I'm almost certain I know the answer to this question. I'm upgrading from an NXS 5-22x50. The ATACR is my first choice and I'm sure the most obvious...but, with weight not being a concern (lighter or heavier) , the Mark 5HD Leupold and Vortex HD have caught My attention. I'm just not sure either is an upgrade over the NXS....or if they do in fact compete with the ATACR. My main priority is reliability (tuff) and then glass or optical clarity and brightness. Reliability not just in its ability to track consistently but also in any event of being dropped, kicked or falling on. I personally do not think the NXS has very good glass. I have several Nikons, Zeiss and a few Leupolds that seem to be brighter. Anyone have any comparison or real time behind a Mark 5HD and Vortex HD to compare.... and if they are not in the same category as an ATACR, then how does the Vortex HD and Leupold Mark5HD compare to each other? I have to get a purchase going before Sunday so any help would be great. Thanks

here you go, What the pros use.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/21/best-scope/

All those scopes were in my running when I recently decided for my 7mm. I ended up going with the Swarvoski Z6. So far I think I made a good decision. I haven't put it through all the test yet though.

I'd love to hear Shooters side by side comparison.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/the-new-leupold-mark-5.198562/page-2

Honestly that doesn't really have any bearing for the OP. Most pros are sponsored and are going to use the manufacturer that sponsors them. It certainly doesn't denote the best, not to mention the Mark 5 has only been out a year while the ATACR has been around for some time.

588A5DCA-F89F-42BC-8721-4346BDB1E80E.jpeg
120506E7-5B46-4794-8229-FDA8A5D808AF.jpeg
I can attest to how tough the nf nxs scopes are. Here is a pic of what happened to my 5.5-22x56 after a horse fell on it numerous times. Rifle was in a scabberd, horse flipped over backwards and landed directly on the rifle and the ground was covered in big rocks. Then proceded to try and get back up and smash it a few more times. I have absolutely no doubt that any leupold would have been smashed and out of commission for good, or **** near any other scope for that matter. It broke the scope mount screws off and dented the obj bell in and it still works perfectly, absolutely had no effect on the scope at all besides cosmetic. It was bent more than that but i took a pair of pliars and bent it back haha. Honestly if i was looking to upgrade from an nxs for hunting purposes the only one i like is the vx6hd line. Better glass, smaller profile and much lighter, lighter being the main reason if im packing it alot. I had a gen 1 atacr and i thought the glass looked the exact same and all i gained was more weight and bigger profile, so i sold it and went back to the nxs. I havent ever had an enhanced atacr so i cant tell you a comparison to it.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/the-new-leupold-mark-5.198562/page-2

Honestly that doesn't really have any bearing for the OP. Most pros are sponsored and are going to use the manufacturer that sponsors them. It certainly doesn't denote the best, not to mention the Mark 5 has only been out a year while the ATACR has been around for some time.

My experience is that most are NOT sponsored. (except maybe the top few)

Besides this is BY FAR the shooters who care about the VERY SLIGHTEST advantage in accuracy or performance.

Look at the custom cartridges they are obsessed with accuracy.

The TOP scopes change year after year chasing the best.

IMHO this couldn't be more relative as this is what TOP Tier folks are chasing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.