Help me decide.....Please. Leupold or Nightforce

AWOLF

Hi, I'm looking for a long range scope. I do have a mark 4 (4x14) and like it. The two scopes I'm looking at are the Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x5 and the Nightforce SHV5-20x56 or C535. Are they apples to apples. I also just heard that leupold will no longer sell the mark 4 to civies starting real soon. So....which scope should I get ?Thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm looking for a long range scope. I do have a mark 4 (4x14) and like it. The two scopes I'm looking at are the Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x5 and the Nightforce SHV5-20x56 or C535. Are they apples to apples. I also just heard that leupold will no longer sell the mark 4 to civies starting real soon. So....which scope should I get ?Thanks in advance.

I have the FFP mark 4 6.5x20 with the m5 turrets. Great scope. I know nothing about that nightforce. If you are eligible for military/law enforcement discount then the mark 4 is tough to beat imo

I had a couple of NF scopes and had no complaint whatsoever about them and decided to buy a Leupold Mk IV 8.5 - 25 LR/T for one of my new rifles just to check them out. I'm way more than pleased with the Leupold.

These discussion usually devolve into a love/hate, Chevy/Ford debate by the lovers and detractors for each brand.

You will also find that it is the sensitivities of the shooter and the degree of demanding performance which influences a shooter's choice. Those that only hunt once or twice a year don't seem to mind using the lesser quality scopes while those who spend their time and money shooting little groups at long ranges look for the very best.

I'm on the other side of the fence with this choice because I sold all of my Leupolds years ago in order to buy much better glass through Nightforce, Vortex, S&B, etc. Leupold failed to keep up with technology and the development of better glass, relying instead on their name association (recognition) for return sales. The Nightforce scopes in particular outperformed the Leupolds by miles and this left no other choice in my opinion. I spend my time shooting F-Class and Long Range Benchrest so fine optics are a necessity rather than just a preference.

Recently though several F-Class shooters started working with the 'new' Leupold F-Class scope. It was supposed to be all the rage. Well, it isn't so my Nightforces and all the others are back on my rifles having weathered the challenge once again from the also ran, Leupold.

Regards.

... I also just heard that leupold will no longer sell the mark 4 to civies starting real soon. ..

Please don't perpetuate rumors. Get the facts from the manufacturer directly and you'll help calm things down. :rolleyes:

I spoke with Leupold's Sales and Tech support this morning, Tech support said that the MK 4 scopes would not limited to only LE and MIL and would be available to US Citizens/general public after January 2017, and that all warranties would be honored...... so we shall see....
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/still-considering-leupold-172215/#post1207033

Let's get back to the original question, Leupold mk-4 or the NF-SHV. I'm pretty sure most of you serious F-class shooters that are using NF aren't using the SHV, pretty sure your using the NXS or ACTAR. As far as one being "much better glass" with the SHV over the MK-4, well that's just an opinion since everybody see's different through different scopes. I've looked through NXS, MK-4 and SHV all side-by-side in different light conditions, I'd definitely put the NXS above all three but would put the MK-4 above the SHV! Once again just my opinion!

Let's get back to the original question, Leupold mk-4 or the NF-SHV. I'm pretty sure most of you serious F-class shooters that are using NF aren't using the SHV, pretty sure your using the NXS or ACTAR. As far as one being "much better glass" with the SHV over the MK-4, well that's just an opinion since everybody see's different through different scopes. I've looked through NXS, MK-4 and SHV all side-by-side in different light conditions, I'd definitely put the NXS above all three but would put the MK-4 above the SHV! Once again just my opinion!

Nightforce has a new FFP SHV scope called the F1... It would be perfect for F-class.

SHV 4-14x50 F1 | Riflescopes & Sport Optics | Nightforce Optics, Inc.

You're right about everyone's eyes being different. I've looked through several (over the last few years) $4,000 Schmidt & Benders that looked like a Tasco World Class in clarity and lens yellowing... Prior to that first incident, they have always been clear. But not the last several I looked through.

Unless you'e jumping out of planes and riding around in tactical vehicles you really don't need a scope built like a tank.

I have the Mark 4, lots of VX3's etc but I picked up a couple of VX6 4-24x52 with the CDS dials on sale and if I were going to get rid of all but one type of scope and replace them all with one model across the board, the VX6 is definitely the way I would go.

If you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to take a close range shot not being able to go lower than 6 on the bottom can be a real problem.

The SHV NF's are still relatively new on the market but I have yet to see anyone not happy with their's.

Now, I forgot to address the issue as asked:

The two scopes I'm looking at are the Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x5 and the Nightforce SHV5-20x56 or C535. Are they apples to apples.

No this is not an apples to apples comparison since one is a hunting scope while the other is the supposed top of the line Tactical Match scope. This particular match up might go to the Leupold. Personally I'd look at another attempt to match the specs better.

The Leupold I was referring to in the previous post is:

VX-6 7-42X56mm (34mm) Side Focus Target

and just so there's no mistaking:

Product #118504

Price = $2,729.99

Yes it is a decent scope but it is not a Nightforce. This is the one I use:
PRECISION BENCHREST 12-42×56

NXS price = $1429.00

OR:

NightForce Competition 42x44mm Fixed Riflescope

Price = $1,742.00

But the current king is:

March Tactical 8-80 x 56

Price = $4500.00 (if you can believe that..)

Regards.

I have been drooling over the March-X Tactical 8-80x56 for years now... But the price has deterred me...Mainly because I don't have that kind of money sitting around, but also because that's ridiculous to spend on ONE rifle scope. If I could find a really nice used one for about half that, I'd consider it.

MudRunner2005,

Boy can I relate to that! I agree, way too much money for me but I see them at competitions all the time so someone has some sheckles somewhere...

Regards.

I have been drooling over the March-X Tactical 8-80x56 for years now... But the price has deterred me...Mainly because I don't have that kind of money sitting around, but also because that's ridiculous to spend on ONE rifle scope. If I could find a really nice used one for about half that, I'd consider it.
Even if I could afford that kind of cash I could never justify spending that on a scope when I can get all I actually need or really want for 1/3 the price.

In poor boy terms I can scope three rifles for the price of one and still have great glass with Leupold's great customer service and warranty.

I've never had a Leupold fail so I've never had to get them to honor the warranty but I've sent in probably 2 dozen scopes total to them for some custom work, replacement of stuff I damaged even had one that a horse rolled over bending the snot out of it and breaking the objective glass just to see if they could possibly repair it and at what cost.

I just included a note with the scope and three days later I got a call, five days later I had a brand new replacement including shipping for a 100.00.

They said if they could use my story for a testimonial it would more than make up their lossses on the MK4-8.5-25x50 Mil Dot which was about their absolute top of the line scope at the time.

I told my dad about it at lunch and he nearly choked to death. When he finally recovered he said if he ever had another deal that needed negotiating he was going to hire me.:)

I've pulled more Leupold's and replaced them with NF or Vortex optics than anything, their not worth the time they spend in the mail getting fixed IMO, they have some of the poorest tracking scope on the market with glass from the 80's! I recently used a couple SHV's and sold my Vortex PST's promptly though I'll be replacing the SHV with a March 2.5-25x52 on my main rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.