Nightforce or Mark 4? PLEASE help me decide!

Another vote for the NF. I saved my "rifle play money" for a couple extra weeks for one.....and I'm glad a did.

Wait a minute.....maybe I'm not so glad because now I want another one. :D

The eye relief wins hands down in the NF it seems to stay constistant on power adjustment, the loupold while a fantastic scope its eye relief seams to change more drastic with power. Probly important on a larger recoiling rifle. I own a 3.5-15 X 50 NSX would'nt trade it for anything for short to medium range hunting say to 800 yds then I'd step to a 5.5-22. Just my 2 cents.

I have a few of the 15 power NXS scopes and 800 yards is certainly not the limit, niehter is 1,000

mike 33.
dont feel bad about never hearing about nightforce. 15 years ago none of us heard about them. thats not knocking them, as they are a fine scope.

but you have a fine scope also.
you will never miss a shot because of that scope.
if it dosent have target knobs, send it to leupold and they will install them.
as for returning to zero after shooting, its no problem if you have the knobs

take your time, use what you have, you may find its all you need.
if you hunt pa. as i do, concentrate on binoculars, good ones.

you wont need a scope or a gun if you dont find it first.

Yobuck and 7mm, thank you both for your replies. So for my kind of hunting if i went to a nf the 3-15 would work well? wouldnt really need the 5-22? Im a landscaping cont. hoping to get back to work in few weeks and with the ecomomy just hate to spend 1,800.00 right now. I didnt know either that i could send my 4.5-14 leupold back and get target knobs. With these installed they will actually return? I know 20 years ago you didnt want to touch them.
mike

Since you will be shooting at night, you might want the capability of adjusting the illumination on your scope...That is one thing I wish my Nightforce had... the ability to, on the spot, crank up or down the illumination...I have an older Nikon Tactical ( Holland's first generation scopes) that allows me to change from green to red and has a rheostat with different settings to adjust for the proper reticle illumination in varying degrees of darkness. I know the Nightforce does it , but it is much more involved, but I am not sure about the adjustments on a Mark IV......FWIW 30-338 hard to go wrong with this choice!

I think the NF is superior in every way to the Leupold version and worth every penny. You will never be sorry you sepnt the extra money. After I bought my first one I slowly replaced all my Leupolds with NF's.

I think the NF is superior in every way to the Leupold version and worth every penny. You will never be sorry you sepnt the extra money. After I bought my first one I slowly replaced all my Leupolds with NF's.

Well put. and I too am replacing the L's with NF's. If you are going to turn knobs to adjust for each shot. I suggest you go to a shop that carries both. Just turn the turrets on both side by side. In my opinion there is no comparison.

Last edited:
I'll vote for Nightforce. I'd been through the same struggle which scope to get. Finally, I just bite the bullet and bought a Nightforce with NPR2 reticle and zero stop. Even though, it costs more, but I truely believe it's money well spent for the quality and performance.

Good luck on your selection.

mike33.
with due respect to all those replying, would any of us argue the quality of a bmw over a chevy.
that said, will a chevy get you there and bring you back?
$1800 is a lot of miles walking behind a lawn mower.
i have several leupolds over 30 yrs. old. added turrets to both. about $100 for both turrets last i checked.
get it done and go shoot at some rocks.
sight it in @ 100 yds.
loosen the set screws holding the turret knob & rotate to line up zeros. retighten, and your all set.
you can go up, and back to zero.
if you dont have a click chart, ill mail you one that will put you in the ball park.

mike33.
with due respect to all those replying, would any of us argue the quality of a bmw over a chevy.
that said, will a chevy get you there and bring you back?
$1800 is a lot of miles walking behind a lawn mower.
i have several leupolds over 30 yrs. old. added turrets to both. about $100 for both turrets last i checked.
get it done and go shoot at some rocks.
sight it in @ 100 yds.
loosen the set screws holding the turret knob & rotate to line up zeros. retighten, and your all set.
you can go up, and back to zero.
if you dont have a click chart, ill mail you one that will put you in the ball park.
Thanks, sounds like a good way to start. [email protected]
mike

The eye relief is what does it for me on the nightforce. That alone sells the scope over the lupy. The eye relief is always there on the NF the lupy is a surprise with every change of power.

I thought when i bought my first leupold 6.5 -20-50 scope it was the best that money could buy . I love the leupold except one feature and thats the no zero stop you can loose zero and for me that sucks . I have never owned a night force scope but one day i will . I count clicks for shooting long range . What really dissapointed me with leupold, is they cannot tell me why they don't offer the zero stop option like night force . So far, what i've read is they will never be able to offer it because it is patened . I want ever own a scope that does not have turrets and thats how i feel everytime i return to zero with my leupold just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.