Meanwhile on RS they're killin bear, deer, elk , and moose with .223 and 77gr TMK.

Since the discussion was between you and me it sounds as if it was directed at me. As far as some of the statements made on that thread I am not responsible for other's statements. Nor do I always agree with everything on any particular thread.
It wasn't intended to be directed at anyone specific.

Yes you and I were engaging in conversation but no statements were directed at you directly other than our disagreement on the specific topics on the 300WM and 223 comparison.

It wasn't intended to be directed at anyone specific.

Yes you and I were engaging in conversation but no statements were directed at you directly other than our disagreement on the specific topics on the 300WM and 223 comparison.
Fair enough. Then all I will say no hard feelings and best wishes for a safe and happy holiday. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

My boss let me borrow his new Garmin. It's sweet! I got the 75 ELDM's to feed from the magazine reliably in my AR15. Both groups are at 550 yards. The smaller one is my 7mm RM with 180 ELDM's.

1703379028875.jpeg

1703379051474.jpeg

1703379070402.jpeg

It's Saturday and it seems like a lot of new threads that opened up a can of worms. Here's one more for the list. Let the gnashing of teeth begin. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/page-349#post-3606494

When I was stationed at Cape Lisburne in 73-74, in one of my trips back I was seated next to a missionary from one of the villages.

Our conversation turned to the natives after he mistaken me being from one of the villages. Topics turned to how the people lived and their problems.

Hunting became one of the subjects. He casually mentioned he even ventured out with the men occasionally. They hunted Caribou and Nanuqs. I inquired what weapons they used to go after the big bad white predators.... 5.56. Why? They get the ammo from the Guard members. M193s most likely. Most of those guys in the villages are dirt poor, free ammo is a nice gift.

How do they kill the Polar bears? They hunt with dogs. Dogs will surround the bear and they shoot them in the neck or head. My guess over time they must have lost some dogs and men.

I am not that brave to go after Nanuqs with 5.56. I've seen bear tracks on the shores of the Arctic Ocean, some make my size 10 prints on the sand look tiny. Them boys are huge. At Fairbanks airport there used be a stuffed Polar standing up. Right next to it, I was looking at its balls.

When I was stationed at Cape Lisburne in 73-74, in one of my trips back I was seated next to a missionary from one of the villages.

Our conversation turned to the natives after he mistaken me being from one of the villages. Topics turned to how the people lived and their problems.

Hunting became one of the subjects. He casually mentioned he even ventured out with the men occasionally. They hunted Caribou and Nanuqs. I inquired what weapons they used to go after the big bad white predators.... 5.56. Why? They get the ammo from the Guard members. M193s most likely. Most of those guys in the villages are dirt poor, free ammo is a nice gift.

How do they kill the Polar bears? They hunt with dogs. Dogs will surround the bear and they shoot them in the neck or head. My guess over time they must have lost some dogs and men.

I am not that brave to go after Nanuqs with 5.56. I've seen bear tracks on the shores of the Arctic Ocean, some make my size 10 prints on the sand look tiny. Them boys are huge. At Fairbanks airport there used be a stuffed Polar standing up. Right next to it, I was looking at its balls.
I was Air Force and used to write some of the contracts for the AF to run the Long Range Radar Sites before I retired in 2018. I know quite a bit about Cape Lisburn. I still live in AK, and a guy at a local gun store just last week told me and another gentleman that they sale more 6.5 Grendel and 300 BLKOUT ammo to AK Natives than anything else. Maybe they have decided a bigger bullet is better, but I've also heard some stories of AK Natives shooting Polar Bears with .223/5.56 in recent years.

My first rule in hunting is do not hunt critters that can eat me; to each his own, I have no opinion of anyone else hunting whatever they want, but ten-foot bears, African Lions, even Cape Buffalo. Moose is dangerous enough and I have never had the opportunity to hunt them, but I would. I've bought my bear tag in Colorado while elk hunting, but some of those previously mentioned critters are plumb hateful. I Watched a guy track a wounded buffalo in the brush, and he was on them in an instant. The PH was phenomenal, I have no idea how he saw him, probably heard him coming, but he killed that sucker at mere feet, probably less than ten. I saw a wounded Leopard jump on the guy that shot him, and the man screamed like a little girl, it must have hurt what that cat was doing to him. Doing it with a 5.56, brave doesn't even begin to describe those guys, I'm sure a Polar Bear feeds a lot of people.

I was Air Force and used to write some of the contracts for the AF to run the Long Range Radar Sites before I retired in 2018. I know quite a bit about Cape Lisburn. I still live in AK, and a guy at a local gun store just last week told me and another gentleman that they sale more 6.5 Grendel and 300 BLKOUT ammo to AK Natives than anything else. Maybe they have decided a bigger bullet is better, but I've also heard some stories of AK Natives shooting Polar Bears with .223/5.56 in recent years.

Is the White Alice site still there at Top Camp?

77gr TMKs are some mean little goblins. I shoot them in 22-250 and 223 and they flat out kill

Attachments

• IMG_6198.jpeg
    IMG_6198.jpeg
    776.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6199.jpeg
    IMG_6199.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Recent Posts