Nightforce vs Leupold

A simple Hash moa or mil scope for holds is not bad.
No they aren't, they do work pretty good. I've used them before and it doesn't take a ton of work to work out what the stadia lines actually translate to for a particular load. Good option for what I'll call intermediate range - 300-600 yards with a cartridge that has some good arc to it and you can't dial a second MBPR that's long enough to be useful.

This is my favorite reticle right now - 0.5mil windage subtensions, with a minimalist grid. I watched Greg D's videos of shooting P-Dogs where he showed through the scope with a camera - that sold me instantly and I haven't been disappointed. Has worked well for me, I'm using on a 204 Ruger and 17 HMR currently.

Gen_2XR__65262.jpg

Interesting on your comments about to much inside the scope.
This is an example of what I think has way too much going on for a hunting scope. I use this reticle (and the IMO slightly better Tremor 5) on several rifles, but unless I'm shooting multiple targets at multiple ranges in one string of fire like at a PRS match most of the junk is just in the way. I say the T5 is better because it doesn't have the rapid ranging lines or moving target numbers on the windage line and de-clutters the area where holds are when you dial elevation. Fantastic reticle for what it was designed for though - full on combat chaos.

Tremor3__35830.jpg

There was a recent thread about shooting 5 shots in a tight group. Somebody on there, I don't remember who, said they would not trust their scope to last 5 shots.
It would be a good idea to find out what brand they have, and avoid buying that for sure.
A scope that cannot last 5 shots, is definitely not what you want on your rifle.

There was a recent thread about shooting 5 shots in a tight group. Somebody on there, I don't remember who, said they would not trust their scope to last 5 shots.
It would be a good idea to find out what brand they have, and avoid buying that for sure.
A scope that cannot last 5 shots, is definitely not what you want on your rifle.
I would say they are blaming the scope when it is the gun not lasting five shots.

I would love to get a NF, but am not sure what model. Not the SHV, but a higher end. Most have lighted reticles, but are the reticles visible if the scope is not turned on? What about if the battery dies, can you still see the reticle? Maybe it appears black then is red once you turn it on? I am just concerned that the lighted reticle is one more thing that can go wrong while hunting. I would opt for a NF if the reticle is always visible, but you can illuminate it in low light conditions.

but are the reticles visible if the scope is not turned on?
Yes, appears just like a normal black reticle.

What about if the battery dies, can you still see the reticle?
Yes, only thing is the button stops working. I don't even have a battery installed in a few of my scopes.

Maybe it appears black then is red once you turn it on?
Exactly. My ATACRs can do both red and green. But the entire reticle doesn't always light up. For instance on the MIL-XT only the two main stadia lines are illuminated, what's red in this image is what I can make red, green, or black (unlit):

Mil-XT_Zoom.png

Some Horus reticles (H58, Tremor 3) have multiple single red dots along the stadia lines that illuminate instead of the entire cross hair. My Athlons the entire Christmas tree lights up. Leupold Firedot puts a single red dot in the center of duplex cross hairs. Lots of options.

If you haven't used a FFP scope my advice would be to find a friend who has a one and spend some time using it at the range to see if you really like it or not. I bought a 4-16x42 ATACR MOAR F1 for one of my hunting rifles, mechanical works as it should, retains zero, etc. But, I am not sure I am crazy about the FFP reticle, for my old eyes it is not really usable (readable) until you get above 7 power or so and the scope is heavy at 30 oz. Great scope, just not sure FFP is for me. Hence me recommending the 2.5-10 NXS. YMMV
Any interest in trading that scope?

The 4-16 FFP ATACR would be a very good option. The reticle is very usable at 4x, and has already been stated, illumination can easily be turned on during lower light conditions when it may be difficult to see. The 4-20 would probably also be worth considering, but I haven't picked one up yet to know how thick the reticle is at 4x..