Longest Big Game Kill With Rifle

In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?

• 0 to 200 yards

Votes: 1,160 26.4%
  • 201 to 400 yards

Votes: 1,438 32.7%
  • 401 to 600 yards

Votes: 1,020 23.2%
  • 601 to 800 yards

Votes: 460 10.5%
  • 801 to 1,000 yards

Votes: 168 3.8%
  • Over 1,000 yards

Votes: 153 3.5%

• Total voters
About 100 yards haha. Last day of the season when I saw this little two point muley. Decided that I needed some meat in the freezer so I dropped him. Never even got to shoot at a elk last year. Hopefully this fall I will and be able to push some farther shots!

Last deer season with my Dad in his treestand.

I shot a whitetail doe/deer "neckshot" with my Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW at 230 yards.

The doe dropped DRT like she got hit by lightning!

Below are pics of the doe with me and then with my Dad, "Pop".

Attachments

• Doe 230 yards.jpg
    Doe 230 yards.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Pop & Doe 230.jpg
    Pop & Doe 230.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 21
Nice shot. Which model 12 do you have and how far out have you reached with the 6mm x 47?

Was it me this question was aimed at???

It was built by Tom Bryant (my Father) in Evanston, Wyoming (he calls his business "The Gun Guy"). 6x47 Lapua: Savage Model 12 action, 30" Lilja barrel, Shrewd muzzle brake, topped by Leupold VXII 6-18x40. 39 gr. H4350, 95 gr. Sierra MK, 3100 fps.

825 yds is the farthest I've done on game animals, pretty consistent with 1100 yard milk jugs though. I don't have much experience with Extreme Long Range stuff, but when the stars align it will get hits on the City's 3' x 3' one-mile gong. I usually have to click up 62-65 MOA from a 200 yard zero. My zero is at the dead bottom of my scope travel too, which helps I guess.

sure is fun!! :D :D :D

Attachments

• 6x47edit2.jpg
    6x47edit2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 23
Coues Whitetail @810 yards with Remingtin 700 RMEF 300 win mag with HSM 185grain bergers....Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50

In the past 6 months I've shot a lot of deer under the spotlight(my job deer manager) and although not truly long distance I have had a few cracking good shots (if I do say so myself). My work rifle is a Tikka .270 T3 20" barrel laminate stainless with Gunworks moderator S&B zenith 3-12x50 scope and loaded with 130gr Nosler BTs avg 2800fps with 58.6gn H4831. These shots I recorded in my cull diary and are all head shots due to difficult angles normally because the deer is walking away and stops for one last look over there shoulder before reaching cover. Ranges recorded in meters via Lieca Geovid 10x42. All were shot off the bonnet or roof of the pickup a part from the last one which was a bit of a mess up!

197 m Red deer stag calve 10/10/12
170 m Sika stag 24/11/12
166 m Sika stag 137 meter Sika stag (10 minutes later) 22/12/12
174 m Sika stag 3/1/13
155m Sika hind and calf 22/1/13
234m Roe Doe 13/2/13
215m Red stag 4/3/13
322m Red hind wounded at 220m shooting off quad sticks (5 shots fired a bit over confident)gun)
This coming season I'm hoping to start with some decent long range stuff with my new 300 win mag 600+ providing I can get it shooting well.:D

1283 yds cow elk. Ranged with 3 diffrent range finders. 338-378 Weatherby. 280 gr LRX..114gr h570 vita vouri..Win MAG primer. Bartlien Barrel left hand twist 5r rifling 29 inches long. 3235 fps. Leupold perched on top. Now a Burris Elim 3. 1 shot facing twords me. Complete pass through breaking the lower neck and rear pelvis. She was dead before her belly crumpled to the ground. It took over 15 minutes laying on ice to set up for this shot. gun)

1283 yds cow elk. Ranged with 3 diffrent range finders. 338-378 Weatherby. 280 gr LRX..114gr h570 vita vouri..Win MAG primer. Bartlien Barrel left hand twist 5r rifling 29 inches long. 3235 fps. Leupold perched on top. Now a Burris Elim 3. 1 shot facing twords me. Complete pass through breaking the lower neck and rear pelvis. She was dead before her belly crumpled to the ground. It took over 15 minutes laying on ice to set up for this shot. gun)
Very nice, did the bullet expand? How was internal damage? How large was the exit hole?

Bullet was a complete pass through and we did not recover it. I took a loooong time to set up and take this shot. Some of this time was deciding which elk to take a shot at. We decided to take the shot at the one and only one looking straight at us, unlike the rest of the herd that was broadside and quartering. Out thought was if the bullet did not expand then a neck/ chest shot would kill anyway. Bullet hit a little high and took out the esophagus went under the spine until halfway where it ricocheted off the vertebrae shattering it into little shards started to tumble and took out the right side pelvis and exited. I can say the wound channel was about 1 1/2 inch in diameter until the impact on the backbone. We decided on this shot out of fear of a broadside shot and having no expansion and possibly missing the heart and getting a lung or worse gut shot and not recovering. We reasoned if I hit low with a head on shot it would take the heart or arteries. I have many thousands of dollars in load testing and practicing. I cal tell you out of all common guns and factory calibers you can not beat a 338-378 Weatherby loaded with a 280lrx Barnes and RL25 or MRP-2, or Vitavori 570. The 300 grainers that you hear about will not shoot as flat and take up case capacity, To the point of being counter productive. To be ethical you must put the time and money into learning the skills. Hope all understand this. I ask the rest of you. Do you think the bullet Expanded or did I get lucky?:)

Thanks for the reply, very nice shooting. What was impact velocity? We ran the same bullet in our 338 Lapua last year and it shoots great but we are having some issues with the gun so we may just have a custom barrel and brake thrown on and have it throated for the 300 grain berger elite hunter and run it single shot. What did you come up with fir a bc? I came up with about .720 IIRC. The farthest kill we had with that rifle and bullet was 486 yards (also my personal farthest kill, im 14 so i have quite a few years hopefully to extend that) on two antelope does and the bullet performed very well, we also shot a cow elk at 387 yards and again the bullet performed great.

Don't know how far.

Years ago, on the last day of Idaho elk season a 5X5 was standing broadside on the opposite side of a deep canyon from me. After considerable debate with a hunting partner and myself as to exactly how distant from us said elk might be I settled my Remington 700 7mm rem. mag. on a sturdy rest and peered through my 4X Lyman until I elevated enough I could no longer see the back of the elk in the bottom of the scope.

With some experience tagging several whitetail bucks out to 500 yds. I gently squeezed the trigger and watched as the bull took several steps and tumbled end over end down the hill, coming to rest in some brush. Needless to say it was a chore finding him and the pack back back out is unforgettable.

The bullet entered the top of the heart on the near side and exited on the far side of the bottom of the heart, definitely a downward trajectory.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.