Whats wrong with the good ole 7mm?

This is a great question!
There ate a lot of new shiny new 7mm toys out there today along with many other calibers.
And i have been temped to have a 7Prc made, to replace my two 7mm or a 6.5 creedmoor to replace my 260, or 243 or even 270
But… when i think back and remember my 7mm stainless Magnum research (lh) 7mm shot a bull at 434 yards, and my new 7mm LH custom has shot several deer from 50- to 465 yards… i realize my money is better spent on other things i did not know i needed!
Also when i look in my garage and see I have tons of 7mm brass, berger, nosler, hammer, bullets, tons of powder… i begin to be content….. for a while!

All of these folks complaining about the belt make me want to have reamers made. Same exact dims as each belted magnum except for no belt. Then turn the belt off the brass. I'm going to call the entire family of ex-belted mags the "Extra Snazzy" as-in the .264 Win Extra Snazzy, the 7mm Rem Extra Snazzy, the .300 Win Extra Snazzy, etc.

It's going to make me a fortune and soon people will be wanking about the E.S.'s instead of the CM's. How they're all marketing and no better than a .264 Win or a 7mm Rem, or a......

Then I'll bring out a belted 6.5 Creedmoor and watch the world implode.
Call it the xbelt crowmore and you will be filthy rich 😂
If you go that route I want a kickback for the name 😂

I gotta disagre somewhat with this statement....I have my dads old 7mm as my lightweight "bush/walking" gun....It is the original bbl/action with a different stock. The gun dates back to the early 60's...one of the first out. Dad just had to have it!!! I broke the factory stock in 1980...replaced it with another factory 700 ADL stock....it shoots the 168/180 JLKs wounderfull. My brothers 7mm, as a factory gun before he rebarrelled it in the 80's also shot the 160 nostler partition and I think he also shot a 175 Sierra...gun shot very well. Now, my brothers tube is long gone, but mine is still factory. I should test to see what the twist actually is....all I know is it is OLD and still shoots GREAT....especialy the 180's. I even shot it off of the bipod in the factory class in 1000 br in Pella Ia. a couple years ago...bad day...but still....14" five shot in comp with a light weight, rickidy old factory 7 mag isn't laughable. It has shot much better...I carry those targets in my wallet!!!.......JUST KIDDING!!!

For you Remmingtonfiles out there...just what is the twist of my old 7mm? I can have the serial # in a jiff.
Likely 1 turn in 9-1/4 inches. Highly recommend you verify by measuring your barrel. Easy to do; place at tape flag near the handle of your cleaning rod, use a brass brush 1 caliber larger (for added friction), start brush into rifling and advance until your flag is at 12 o'clock (your starting reference point), continue advancing until the flag rotates to the 12 o'clock flag, mark that position with tape (be accurate), now measure the distance (use a tape with at least 1/32" divisions) between the flag and the marker tape. The result is your twist in inches in one turn.

A 7 MM Rem mag was my first big game rifle. I still have it. In preparation for my last elk hunt I pulled several rifles from the safe to practice with. I ended up using my old 7 mag because it shot better than any of the others. It's a good round.

Now, I don't use it any more for eastern deer hunting since it does more damage than necessary at the ranges I hunt. I've gone to a 25-06 that has almost identical speed & drop as my 7 mag with much less destroyed meat.

If I were to buy my first 7 MM now it would likely be a WSM, as that cartridge has the same ballistics as the 7 MM Rem mag in a short action with no belt.
Consider 7 RSAUM in place of 7 WSM and 7RM. The Army Marksmanship Unit concluded the SAUM is more efficient than WSM which saves a few grains per load for comparable MV. For competitors the saved powder adds up. I have Rem 700BDL 24" barrel 9-1/4" twist which achieves 3126fps Norma brass annealed & bumped 0.002", 146GN Hammer Hunters, 68.5GN H4831, Rem 9-1/2M primers. My Gunwerks ClymR 7 RSAUM 22" barrel 8-1/2" twist achieves 3225fps with ADG brass annealed & bumped 0.002", 143GN Hammer Hunters, 66.0GN H4831SC, Rem 9-1/2M primers.
Both loads are higher end powder charges with light ejector, but no bolt lift extra force.
Both loads are above 2100fps and 1500ftlb at 450 yds. The 7SAUM is my First Out Elk Setup.

I have both 7 RM and WSM. Both are great rifles. As long as you are choosing your twist and throat they are so similar it is hard to tell the difference. SAAMI twist is the biggest drawback to many factory rifles. Tomato Tomahto

Consider 7 RSAUM in place of 7 WSM and 7RM. The Army Marksmanship Unit concluded the SAUM is more efficient than WSM which saves a few grains per load for comparable MV. For competitors the saved powder adds up. I have Rem 700BDL 24" barrel 9-1/4" twist which achieves 3126fps Norma brass annealed & bumped 0.002", 146GN Hammer Hunters, 68.5GN H4831, Rem 9-1/2M primers. My Gunwerks ClymR 7 RSAUM 22" barrel 8-1/2" twist achieves 3225fps with ADG brass annealed & bumped 0.002", 143GN Hammer Hunters, 66.0GN H4831SC, Rem 9-1/2M primers.
Both loads are higher end powder charges with light ejector, but no bolt lift extra force.
Both loads are above 2100fps and 1500ftlb at 450 yds. The 7SAUM is my First Out Elk Setup.
I'm a wasteful person I guess I like my powder hogs😁
I have no doubt that the Army concluded that information but when the Government says something about saving components while at the same time giving away weapons, ammunition and components to other countries then they can stick their opinions where the sun don't shine.
Kinda like "Hi, I'm from the Government and I am here to help 🤨"

Also when i look in my garage and see I have tons of 7mm brass, berger, nosler, hammer, bullets, tons of powder… i begin to be content….. for a while!
You live in GA and store your powder in the garage? I had some stored in my garage in Phoenix for about 10 years; I finally gave it away to a guy I shoot with. He used it with no ill effects, but I have heard too many horror stories about powder stored in high temps to use it.

I used to be a huge 7RM fan; shot a ton of game with that caliber. But I then moved on to the 7 STW (disappointed) and the 300 RUM. Got two 28 Noslers right now, which I love. I never could get great velocities out of any 7RM I owned and only one was memorably accurate.

You live in GA and store your powder in the garage? I had some stored in my garage in Phoenix for about 10 years; I finally gave it away to a guy I shoot with. He used it with no ill effects, but I have heard too many horror stories about powder stored in high temps to use it.
Yes I do....but it is insulated and air conditioned...has to be as it is hotter than 5 Baptist hells down here!

What did you not like about the STW?
Wasn't as accurate as I hoped (back when I thought Shilen barrels were the "be all end all") and the velocity just wasn't there. I have also become a big believer in cartridges formed from the .404 Jeffrey - 300 RUM, Edge, 28N, SAUMs, etc. For whatever reason, they all seem to be very accurate - kind of like the .308 Win case.

Wasn't as accurate as I hoped (back when I thought Shilen barrels were the "be all end all") and the velocity just wasn't there. I have also become a big believer in cartridges formed from the .404 Jeffrey - 300 RUM, Edge, 28N, SAUMs, etc. For whatever reason, they all seem to be very accurate - kind of like the .308 Win case.
I can certainly understand your luck with slower barrels and less than average accuracy barrels. I will tell you some people just have that luck. It's a bummer because it can absolutely leave a bad taste with a cartridge if you're unlucky with barrels. I'm very lucky with speeds. I have 3 barrels that are FAST. I have traditionally always had finicky barrels as far as accuracy. They shoot but it always takes me work. My buddy on the other hand seems to get trash cans. You can literally throw anything in them and they flat out shoot. What I'm getting at is I don't think it's necessarily the cartridge to blame for your luck.