Hammer vs cutting edge monolithics

Ran 143 HHs in my 280ai with 62 grs of H4831 and 215 primers to 3180 and they are .5" shot one antelope at 400 yards quartering too bullet entered left shoulder exited just behind opposite shoulder took about 5 steps. Another at 250 high shoulder shot bang flop bullet exited. Steves customer service is second to none!! He answers all questions quickly and honestly. I will be loading 130 HHs in my daughter's 7/08AI next and work on a load for sons 6.5 saum shortly. Great bullets great customer service and performance not much else I need.

Steve what type of numbers were you getting with the 214gr .308 as far as stability factor with a 9" twist?

1.5, 1.7? And what elevation and velocity was your testing. I am just checking. Really want to give those bullets a try.

Thanks

Our elevation here is between 3000 and 4000'. The 30cal 214g Hammer Hunter Should give 1.5 sg at sea level and standard atmosphere in a 1-9" twits barrel. Right at sea level has given us a bit of trouble in a couple rifles with really long nose bullets when on paper the problem shouldn't exist. We are working on moving the center of gravity forward on a couple to see if it fixes the issue. No way for us to test at sea level without digging a really big hole. :cool::D When we come up with good data I will post it on our home page and this forum along with ours.

Steve

Until we can prove it wrong it is our feeling that a tip in the hollow point is an inhibitor to bullet deformation. It is essentially a plug in the hollow point stopping fluid from entering the hp. All bullets need to expand from the inside out. In conventional lead tipped bullets the lead is the fluid. All the rest need that fluid into the hp to make them expand properly. We are after the fastest deformation that we can get. The quicker the bullet deforms form its ballistic form into its terminal form the better the bullet does at disrupting vital tissue. All of our hunting bullets deform very rapidly and reliably. Our Sledge Hammer line with the large 2.5mm hp, and bigger, simply hit hard. Best that I can describe it is they hit like a flat based bullet shot backwards. That is essentially what they turn into on impact.

View attachment 111621 This 1800 lb trophy eland was taken with a 116g 25cal Sledge Hammer. Shot frontal at just over 100y. That bullet was recovered in the small intestine after traveling through 5' of eland. The bull traveled about 40 yards in a half circle and stood there doing the wobble. She shot it again for good measure. Just as she pulled the trigger he wobbled hard and she hit him square on the big shoulder bone. That bullet shattered the bone and lodged in the brisket on the far side after going through the front of the lungs. He was already dead, but that one dropped him like lightning struck him. Both recovered bullets were identical and once mixed up could be told apart. This is all on video and when is done with editing and ready for production we will be able to use it. It was frankly amazing. I never would have thought an animal that big and tough with a bullet that small. That combo also took zebra, wildebeest, impala, warthog, and two blesbok. All of these animals were trophy quality and only the eland took 2 shots. That is what we are after, and will not settle for less in order to satisfy a higher bc or faster manufacturing process.

Rifle used was a 257wby running them at a bit over 3400fps.

Steve

Thanks for the explanation Steve! You are not the only bullet maker to say the tip causes problems with expansion and even uniform expansion. Federal even though they are not a big bullet maker. Or one you would think as being leading says the same thing. So they designed a hollow plastic bullet tip that they claim breaks on impact and let the fluid travel into the bullet as needed to cause expansion right away. They tested the standard design solid plastic and they claim it did not allow the bullet to expand it even caused the bullet to deform on impact and not travel strait. They even claim there edge tlr bullets expand down to 1350 fps on select calibers.

What your bullet did is impressive to say the least. That's terminal performance right there.

I have tried 2 of the Hammer bullets. The 7mm 143gr Hammer hunter in my 7-06 Ackley and the 178gr Sledge hammer in my 358 Hoosier. Both shot very well .5 MOA and under with good velocity but haven't shot anything with them yet. Steve is a great guy to deal with and real quick to respond

Our elevation here is between 3000 and 4000'. The 30cal 214g Hammer Hunter Should give 1.5 sg at sea level and standard atmosphere in a 1-9" twits barrel. Right at sea level has given us a bit of trouble in a couple rifles with really long nose bullets when on paper the problem shouldn't exist. We are working on moving the center of gravity forward on a couple to see if it fixes the issue. No way for us to test at sea level without digging a really big hole. :cool::D When we come up with good data I will post it on our home page and this forum along with ours.

Steve

I'll provide free testing at 700'a.s.l. with a win mag that's soon to be wearing a 9 twist Bartlein. ;)

Steve

Thanks. I live at 5780 feet. And hunt from there up to 13,000 so hopefully 9" twist will be fine in my thinner air

It's called the internet. As long as we are being snarky.
Well i gues you need some paperwork etc... cant just send this via the post overhere its not the states unfortunatly. Ordering perigrine from SA cost me nearly a year and nearly my gunlinsence..and a shitload of fines. hence me hoping for a local (europe) reseller. I dont like to end up on the interpol list

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.