Hammer vs cutting edge monolithics

Kirby could not get the 375gr cutting edge to shoot out of my AM. When tried seating depth I believe Is what he said being it was throated for 400gr.
I think the design of the hammers is inherently less efficient because of the ridges. I'm no expert but that's what I've come to understand. That being said that design also allows for less pressure which means you can gain some speed so it's a trade off.
Bottom line is it's such a little diffrence if you can shoot 1800 yards you shouldn't be bothered by that small of diffrence.
I am in no way an expert so hopefully better minds people chime in.

Even past 1000 depending on caliber. A 338 300gr or a .375 won't matter much. Plus you always seem to be able to pull more fps out of the hammers than CE so that helps offset some of the bc diffrence.
If the bc is close good point on the velocity

How about an example of this.

The 6mm 100gr CE with a .470 compared to the 101gr with a .366.

The .257 115gr CE with .460 compared to the 116gr Hammer with a .396.

Many many others...it would be too many to list.

But it's nothing against the Hammers, I love them and starting this year will pretty much be the only bullet I'll be shooting.

But it's nothing against the Hammers, I love them and starting this year will pretty much be the only bullet I'll be shooting.
I've checked comparison numbers for other bullets from CE and Hammer too, and wonder how true each of those numbers are to reality. The bullets look really similar, and it's not like the Hammers are square bricks.

I've had great luck with the Hammers so far, and I'm not sure I'll get around to comparing the CEs head-to-head.

I think the biggest difference besides being able to talk with Steve directly is BC...the Hammers shoot great but the BC doesn't compare to the CE's from what I've seen.

But, for a hunting rig under 1,000 yards I'd go with the Hammer all day every day...what's a couple more clicks on the ol scope?

Have you shot both? I haven't, but I've read that to CuttingEdge BC is a number printed on a box. To Hammer it's a measurement calculated from actual shot drops.

As such, I'm curious whether you're referencing published numbers, or values trued to empirical results?

I personally can't wait to see the diffrence in terminal performance. I have great luck with the raptors but the bc sucks on those compared to laser. Only laser I should is 400gr at 3180fps so it's gonna do a number no matter what.

Have you shot both? I haven't, but I've read that to CuttingEdge BC is a number printed on a box. To Hammer it's a measurement calculated from actual shot drops.

As such, I'm curious whether you're referencing published numbers, or values trued to empirical results?

I haven't shot both, I have no desire shoot the CE's, except maybe in my Cheytac I'll try them someday.

I will be trying the new LRX and Badlands pretty soon tho. I'll compare them with the Hammers.

On the 257, you picked a Sledge Hammer to compare. That bullet isn't supposed to have a high BC.

On the 243, aren't you a little suspicious of the difference? The Hammer bullet has the same basic shape and is longer than the Cutting edge.

That's why it's important for these guy to be honest. We all know most are inflated that's why we look to applied for real data. He is affiliated with cutting edge through sponsor I believe but his bc are still on so no bs from him.

On the 257, you picked a Sledge Hammer to compare. That bullet isn't supposed to have a high BC.

On the 243, aren't you a little suspicious of the difference? The Hammer bullet has the same basic shape and is longer than the Cutting edge.

It's the only one I found to compare quickly on my phone.

But it's not a State secret that the Hammers don't have high BC's...Steve will even admit that. That's why he's working on higher BC varieties.

No dog in the fight but the clearer we all are the easier it is for us to achieve our intended goals. I shoot more cutting edge now than hammers but I'm loving these hammers so far. They are so accurate. Hitti g the right spot is better than the wrong one going fast.

Hammer will have to take a BC back seat to some lead core bullets but I don't know any reason they need to take a back seat for Cutting Edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts