Bullet failure 130 grain nosler partition with 6.5 creedmoor

You are a guest, you have no rights here. Posting on a private bulletin board like this is a privilege which may be revoked at any time for any reason.

Respect our host, respect his house, and respect his rules.

Wow a lot of testosterone on the posts here this morning!!!??? I do like to read what another hunters point of views are and what their hunting experiences have been. I learn from this stuff and hopefully others do also!! Ethics can get a bit sticky because it involves a person's judgement calls, and.......no one likes or wants to be criticized for their personal judgements. It's when people become critical is where I have to draw the line here. When a poster writes, "Shame on you!", or something critical along those lines, then it is offensive and IMHO it does not belong in a posting in this forum. What I would like to add here is that I take away what I find relevant to long range hunting, and the rest is simply the rest and another person's point of view!! But that's my opinion and I "am" and ought to be able to express it on this site without criticism!! What is an ethical shot with a particular bullet/caliber combination may be an ethical shot for some hunters, but certainly not for me. I do believe that some of the shots that I am reading about are really making a stretch for their capabilities and they are asking a lot out of a particular caliber or bullet/caliber combination. There is "no one" who has ever done any considerable hunting who can truthfully say that they have "always" done the right thing and made the most ethical shot that they could possibly have made.

Use the daddy,the tried and true .30-06 Springfield!

More game has fallen to the 06 than any other single chambering. You never go wrong with the .30-06. I have read even from old time Brown Bear guides that you can kill the great bears with the .30-06 if you have the sand to stand there and deliver the accurate fire required with the right controlled expansion bullets. While I do love my old custom .30-06 I inherited from my grandfather, then had it further customized to fit me. I would much rather carry my custom Dale Story .375 H&H under those particular circumstances. Otherwise I might pee my pants. :(

More game has fallen to the 06 than any other single chambering. You never go wrong with the .30-06. I have read even from old time Brown Bear guides that you can kill the great bears with the .30-06 if you have the sand to stand there and deliver the accurate fire required with the right controlled expansion bullets. While I do love my old custom .30-06 I inherited from my grandfather, then had it further customized to fit me. I would much rather carry my custom Dale Story .375 H&H under those particular circumstances. Otherwise I might pee my pants. :(
What you say may be true, I love the 30-06, but the 30-30 has a very large number of kills also to its credit !

What you say may be true, I love the 30-06, but the 30-30 has a very large number of kills also to its credit !

I forget which gunwriter it was who said years ago [maybe Jim Carmichael in Outdoor Life] that the .30-.30 has killed a trainload of game. And wounded about as many too.

I don't have time to read all the responses, so I apologize if this has been considered already.

I'm thinking the bullet did as it should have, but the cow was quartered away a bit. Thus causing the bullet to miss the front of the lungs on both shots. May even have exited in the long neck hair and the exit wound was not noticed in the gutless method.

As a pure copper bullet maker I think the Partition is as good as a lead bullet can get for performance on game. Lead sheds in a different way than copper. It tends to liquify rapidly and spread radially until vel slows enough to stop the lead from disintegrating and then the retained portion moves on. The Partition guarantees the retained size and shape. It's a good bullet, just not sexy and new.

The 700 ADL that I bought for my father in the early 70's is in 30-06, and that is the go-to hunting rifle of all my rifles in the safe. The only modifications that have been made on the rifle are that the barrel has been glass bedded and floated and a KickEez recoil pad installed. It will shoot MOA all day long! It is not my favorite rifle, and it only comes out a couple of times a year just to dust it off for nostalgic reasons. I recently read an article in Outdoor Life citing the 30-30 was the most popular caliber for hunting white tail deer, with (2) 30-06, (3) 280 Rem, (4) 270 Win, (5) 243, (6) 300 WinMag, (7) 35 Whelen, (8) 308 Win, (9) 338 Federal, (10) 7mm RemMag. The order was a bit surprising to me, but I knew that the 30-30 was up there. And......my 30-06 will always be my go to rifle, reliable, doesn't beat you up and gets the job done!!

Wow a lot of testosterone on the posts here this morning!!!??? I do like to read what another hunters point of views are and what their hunting experiences have been. I learn from this stuff and hopefully others do also!! Ethics can get a bit sticky because it involves a person's judgement calls, and.......no one likes or wants to be criticized for their personal judgements. It's when people become critical is where I have to draw the line here. When a poster writes, "Shame on you!", or something critical along those lines, then it is offensive and IMHO it does not belong in a posting in this forum. What I would like to add here is that I take away what I find relevant to long range hunting, and the rest is simply the rest and another person's point of view!! But that's my opinion and I "am" and ought to be able to express it on this site without criticism!! What is an ethical shot with a particular bullet/caliber combination may be an ethical shot for some hunters, but certainly not for me. I do believe that some of the shots that I am reading about are really making a stretch for their capabilities and they are asking a lot out of a particular caliber or bullet/caliber combination. There is "no one" who has ever done any considerable hunting who can truthfully say that they have "always" done the right thing and made the most ethical shot that they could possibly have made.
It doesn't matter where any of us want to draw lines, Len has already done it.

Respect our host and his rules.

The .22LR has taken more game in the US than all others combined, the 30-30 would probably be second and then the 06 simply due to the sheer number of military models that came home with soldiers or that later got sporterized.

World wide it would have to be the 6.5x55 and .303 British.

There seems to be a LOT of guys who have not killed many if any in this thread, I've shot more elk with a 6.5 than I'm betting most in this thread have seen and there is no way your shooting through the heavier part of an elk shoulder with any bullet available in a 6.5 with any consistency. I'll say the same for a 270, 7mm and most 30 cals even, the heaviest 30 cals above 200 grs you will start to see enough consistency that I'll take a shoulder shot first shot with them if needed but below that your running a significant risk of the bullet stopping or deflecting, regardless of construction!!
For those in this thread who haven't shot elk and are tempted to compare what you've done on deer to elk a heavy bodied whitetail buck won't have the bone structure of even a calf elk.

There seems to be a LOT of guys who have not killed many if any in this thread, I've shot more elk with a 6.5 than I'm betting most in this thread have seen and there is no way your shooting through the heavier part of an elk shoulder with any bullet available in a 6.5 with any consistency. I'll say the same for a 270, 7mm and most 30 cals even, the heaviest 30 cals above 200 grs you will start to see enough consistency that I'll take a shoulder shot first shot with them if needed but below that your running a significant risk of the bullet stopping or deflecting, regardless of construction!!
For those in this thread who haven't shot elk and are tempted to compare what you've done on deer to elk a heavy bodied whitetail buck won't have the bone structure of even a calf elk.
Long time no see!

I forget which gunwriter it was who said years ago [maybe Jim Carmichael in Outdoor Life] that the .30-.30 has killed a trainload of game. And wounded about as many too.
I would say that would be the shooters fault if they wound game with any 30 caliber ! I would use a 30-30 over most of the smaller calibers especially when you get into thickets ! Your 222s and even up to your 6.5s are effected more ( blow up ) than the larger 30 caliber bullets, I once shot through a 3 " maple and killed a deer that stood probably 15 to 20 yards beyond that tree with a 30 - 30 when I was in my teens, I was sold on the 30 calibers at a young age after loosing several deer that I shot with a 222 ! The 222 will kill them but you have to have a good shot placement ! Many shots that a 222 may lead to a crippled animal the 30 calibers will kill ! I know a fella who's father shot and killed over 25 moose with a 30 - 30 !