6.5 140 Grain Nosler Partitions

Thanks for the info. A LGS has some on the shelf here in Montana. I'm going to load some up and see how they shoot this weekend in my rifle. I am getting just under 3000 FPS with 140 Grain Accubonds so I would think the partitions should be close to that.
A little tid bit I learned directly from Nosler a few years ago regarding load work up with the Partition. If you don't get the accuracy you want/expect, move to a slightly faster powder.

Not in the PRC but in every other cartridge and caliber I've used for hunting from 6mm up through .375. No failures, no back up shots, all one shot and down. Consistency and reliability are their trademarks. The only complaint I have currently is Nosler's idiotic high prices!

1666287857596.png

:)

I've used them in my 6.5/284 @ 2950 without issue.
I bought some 140 Speer Hot Cor last year due to the absence of Partitions and shot 2 deer with them and only caught one that looked almost identical to a recovered partition from an earlier recovery. After travelling almost 2 feet in a quartering away shot, the bullet broke thru the scapula of the opposite shoulder and barely punctured the hide and was caught hanging out.

To answer the question:
I'm sure we don't hear much about Partitions because they don't have the pretty plastic point, don't have the best BC, don't blow up on impact without penetration, yada, yada ... they just plain work... so... they are boring.

Thanks for the info. A LGS has some on the shelf here in Montana. I'm going to load some up and see how they shoot this weekend in my rifle. I am getting just under 3000 FPS with 140 Grain Accubonds so I would think the partitions should be close to that.
Nosler has prc data.
From my experience the accubonds will be a little more accurate. If the partitions dont shoot initially play with your coal.

Last edited:
I plan to try a few this weekend to see how they do. The 140 Accubonds shoot very good currently. I just thought the Partition would be better if I could get them to shoot just as good. Heading to NZ on a Red Stag and Tahr hunt in March and the guide says to be ready out to 600 yards on the Tahr. We practice to 600 at least once or twice a month now and will do it about every weekend once January rolls around until we leave. I just ran across some and thought I never hear anyone talk about Partitions anymore so I thought I would throw it out there for comment. I really appreciate all of your guys that have taken the time to converse with me on this. Please keep the comments and advice coming I will take all I can get.

Just wondering if anyone is shooting 140 grain partitions in their 6.5 PRC or something similar. I recently ran across a box and bought them and now am wonering why I don't see much, if any, talk about anyone using them. The BC on these bullets is not great but its not terrible either. So many people seem to love them for hunting but I rarely see them talked about on these forums so I thought I would ask the question. All answers welcomed.
The Nosler Partition has been my go to bullet for pretty much all hunting for over 20 years. I have used them in .223 60gr which makes the little .223 at least marginally effective on deer size animals. I have used the 140gr partition for my 270, 165gr for both the 308 and 30-06 and the 180 gr for the 300 WinMag. Keep in mind that the ammunition for each of these has not
been bought off the shelf but customized and loaded for maximum, accuracy for each rifle. Every one of these rifles shoots 1 MOA or less and the deer that they hit are immediately lights out with the exception of the .223, which I don't use for deer hunting anymore. All of the loads with the exception of the .223 are based on IMR 4350. If you want a hard hitting bullet driven at moderate speeds the Nosler Partition is hard to beat.

My Friend and his hunting partner had to use only his one rifle , in 30-06, in Africa . The other rifles got lost for three days . All the plains game they shot was with the 30-06 rifle , that did not get lost,. All the game was shot, including Kudu, with 150 and 165 Grn Nosler partitions, store bought ammo. Both Hunters loved the way it performed, on all the game . I hope to load my 300 Roy, with 165 Grn. and 180 Grn. partitions, for a future elk hunt. I have never read anything 'Bad" about that bullet , although I am sure if one searches enough, someone will have complaints. Isn't the 'A Frame" bullet based directly on the design of the Partition???
I use the 180 partitions in my 300 Roy over 77gr IMR4350 for 3050fps. Target is sighting in for NY bear hunt guide says 100yd will be a long shot.

Attachments

• .300 weatherby 001.jpg
    .300 weatherby 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • .300 weatherby.jpg
    .300 weatherby.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 43
I use the partitions in 7x57, 8x57, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 358 UMT, and 460 Wby

I also use the Accubond in the above mentioned calibers.

After reading your posts I see you are possibly shooting 5-600 yds. The partitions can be devastating at shorter ranges but at extended range the Accubond is a great performer and will most likely be more accurate and due to it's better bc carry more energy down range. If they already shoot good for you I wouldnt go chasing something better. I have had great sucess with the Accubonds in .277 caliber. The 6.5 should be no different.