6.5 140 Grain Nosler Partitions

Allen Kitts

Just wondering if anyone is shooting 140 grain partitions in their 6.5 PRC or something similar. I recently ran across a box and bought them and now am wonering why I don't see much, if any, talk about anyone using them. The BC on these bullets is not great but its not terrible either. So many people seem to love them for hunting but I rarely see them talked about on these forums so I thought I would ask the question. All answers welcomed.

I shoot them from my Savage custom shop 6.5CM at 2581fps from a 20" barrel. 2 years ago I had a bang/flop on a large Nebraska doe at 200 yards. Passed through. Same hunt hit a nice buck at 40 yards. He went about 20 yards and folded up. Pass through also.

Just wondering if anyone is shooting 140 grain partitions in their 6.5 PRC or something similar. I recently ran across a box and bought them and now am wonering why I don't see much, if any, talk about anyone using them. The BC on these bullets is not great but its not terrible either. So many people seem to love them for hunting but I rarely see them talked about on these forums so I thought I would ask the question. All answers welcomed.
Nosler Partitions are the bullets that all others have been compared to for decades. Their terminal performance is really hard to beat under most hunting scenarios. Not many would refute that.

The reason that you don't read about them much anymore is because the shooting/hunting world is all hopped up on high BC bullets. My guess is that 99% of the animals taken are under 200yds where even a flat based, round nosed bullet would work great.

Work up a load for those Partitions and use them with confidence.

If your familiar with Nathan Foster and his ballistic studies here is what he had to say about the 140 partition.

The 140 grain Partition is without a doubt the most effective all around projectile for the Swede. Nothing else comes remotely close. This is a bullet that time after time, produces a deep, broad, violent wound resulting in fast kills. The Partition exits medium game at speeds fast enough to ensure complete disruption of vital organ pressures. Light and lean or large and tough, this is the go to bullet in the Swede, reaching its limit (wide wounding) on game weighing around 150kg (330lb) although it is adequate for use on Elk - unless you are sold on the idea that 450kg (1000lb) body weights are what the Swede was designed for. Wounding is wide down to velocities as low as 2200fps (310 yards) becoming moderate as velocities approach 2000fps or 430 yards. For those who use the Swede and have not hunted with this bullet, try it. The Partition should be driven into the major bones of the forwards chest cavity on game of all weights, not because of the bullet design but due to the power limitations of the Swede. Used this way, the Swede is brought to optimum performance.

Of course this is at 6.5x55 velocities. If you can push this bullet faster with a prc or a creedmoor with R26( ~2900) should be outstanding at 500 yds and in. Of course finding them may be a challenge.
Thanks for the info. A LGS has some on the shelf here in Montana. I'm going to load some up and see how they shoot this weekend in my rifle. I am getting just under 3000 FPS with 140 Grain Accubonds so I would think the partitions should be close to that.

My Friend and his hunting partner had to use only his one rifle , in 30-06, in Africa . The other rifles got lost for three days . All the plains game they shot was with the 30-06 rifle , that did not get lost,. All the game was shot, including Kudu, with 150 and 165 Grn Nosler partitions, store bought ammo. Both Hunters loved the way it performed, on all the game . I hope to load my 300 Roy, with 165 Grn. and 180 Grn. partitions, for a future elk hunt. I have never read anything 'Bad" about that bullet , although I am sure if one searches enough, someone will have complaints. Isn't the 'A Frame" bullet based directly on the design of the Partition???

My Friend and his hunting partner had to use only his one rifle , in 30-06, in Africa . The other rifles got lost for three days . All the plains game they shot was with the 30-06 rifle , that did not get lost,. All the game was shot, including Kudu, with 150 and 165 Grn Nosler partitions, store bought ammo. Both Hunters loved the way it performed, on all the game . I hope to load my 300 Roy, with 165 Grn. and 180 Grn. partitions, for a future elk hunt. I have never read anything 'Bad" about that bullet , although I am sure if one searches enough, someone will have complaints. Isn't the 'A Frame" bullet based directly on the design of the Partition???
The Swift A-Frame Is a little heavier in jacket construction than the Partition and usually penetrates more.
I've found the heavier the Partition is for the caliber the better it performs because it's the rear portion that gets heavier as the bullet weight increases, with he front section staying pretty much constant.

Not a 6.5, but I killed two caribou with the 150 Partitions out of my 280 Remington at 250 and 398 yards. Both were quarting away and both broke the off shoulders, and were pass throughs. I was given the hunt and had two days to get ready. We had just moved, and I dug out 18 rounds of 145 gr Speer Hot Cores that I had loaded and shot some deer with. Picked up the Partitions on the way to Canada and they shot to the same point as my handloads at 100 yards.

Recent Posts