Bullet failure 130 grain nosler partition with 6.5 creedmoor

Not sure if anyone else had this problem, but my son almost lost a cow elk yesterday due to bullet failure. He hit his cow elk low in the front shoulder smashing the bone above the elbow. Bullet appears to have completely come apart and did not enter the chest. Follow up shot smashed the same shoulder high but also failed to penetrate the chest. All this at 325 yards with a 6.5 creedmoor and a 130 grain nosler partition. We came back the next day and found the cow bedded in trees. She got up and ran off. Ultimately he killed her with a 270. So should I blame the 6.5 creedmoor as being too light for cow elk or the 130 grain nosler partition??? Anyone else kill elk with a 6.5 creedmoor with a solid shoulder shot? If so, what bullet did you use because my 11 year old daughter has a tag next month and can't handle the recoil of much more than my creedmoor.
We use it for the kids and we went to shooting behind the shoulder with 140grn hornady sst. It's actually designed for a chest shot. Drops them on the spot. Hard to get 200 lbs of energy out on the 6.5 creedmore to puch through the shoulder. We even went to the same SST in the 6.5 x284 and shot behind the shoulder. Yes the sst losses 40%sectional density by design but less meat loss on the ris than the shoulder and the energy it creates drops them on the spor

We use it for the kids and we went to shooting behind the shoulder with 140grn hornady sst. It's actually designed for a chest shot. Drops them on the spot. Hard to get 200 lbs of energy out on the 6.5 creedmore to puch through the shoulder. We even went to the same SST in the 6.5 x284 and shot behind the shoulder. Yes the sst losses 40%sectional density by design but less meat loss on the ris than the shoulder and the energy it creates drops them on the spor
2000 , not 200 which is more than ample.

I've been lucky and have not lost any game, and never had to take more than one shot.

I can't be the only one wondering - how many of those have been elk? What's your approach? You seem very opinionated, and it would be nice to hear about how you were educated and trained to achieve such success. I think a lot of us here are mentoring new hunters, and building a foundation for the next generation is not only contingent on successful experiences but learning from our mistakes.

Well since my post was deleted...I'll say it again a little more politely.

This absolutely is NOT a case a bullet failure. Poor shot placement and poor cartridge selection is at fault.

The 140gr Partition that was used was barely going 2,000 fps at impact, and with 1,300 lbs of energy you expect those numbers to break thru an elk shoulder? That's laughable.

The same guys saying the Creed is a great choice for elk at 300+ yards are the same guys saying a 22-243 is too small for deer at closer ranges...again, laughable.

The numbers don't lie, don't expect amazing terminal performance from a rifle that on paper is marginal at best.

Please show greater respect for the membership and readership here. I appreciate you're trying to be more polite, but if you want to laugh at people, please do it somewhere else. LRH is a very inclusive and respectful forum. Most of us are here to learn. You're OG, what gives?

The OP queried; 'So should I blame the 6.5 creedmoor as being too light for cow elk or the 130 grain nosler partition???'

This is an honest question!

...and technically, for your information, all Elk are deer...

Guys, Here is an interesting and very relevant story about little guns and game at the limits of their effective range. Shot a 10pt whitetail one afternoon at about 500yds with a .257WBY. Bullet was the old style 115gr Partition starting nearly 3300. Best bullet at the time for it, and had killed several deer with it. Buck was quartering toward me. Hit was in front shoulder, going through the meat but missing bone, almost exactly 1/2 way up on his body. Went completely through the left lung, and the rear of the right one. Thumb sized hole in left lung and bullet sized in the right one. Bullet found lodged against rib on inside at edge of diaphragm. Classic mushroom. Sounds fine, except I didn't learn this until the next day after I shot him again in the neck with a 300. He looked a little slow, but not crippled by any means. Everyone present during the bullet digging agreed the buck would have lived if not shot again. The lesson is you can hit an animal further with a little gun than it will reliably kill it, even with a WELL placed shot. Traded that rifle the next day for a 7MM WBY. It was either that or get closer next time. And this was only a 250# Whitetail. My $02, get closer and your daughter will do fine. Nothing wrong with the cartridge or bullet.

My
Not sure if anyone else had this problem, but my son almost lost a cow elk yesterday due to bullet failure. He hit his cow elk low in the front shoulder smashing the bone above the elbow. Bullet appears to have completely come apart and did not enter the chest. Follow up shot smashed the same shoulder high but also failed to penetrate the chest. All this at 325 yards with a 6.5 creedmoor and a 130 grain nosler partition. We came back the next day and found the cow bedded in trees. She got up and ran off. Ultimately he killed her with a 270. So should I blame the 6.5 creedmoor as being too light for cow elk or the 130 grain nosler partition??? Anyone else kill elk with a 6.5 creedmoor with a solid shoulder shot? If so, what bullet did you use because my 11 year old daughter has a tag next month and can't handle the recoil of much more than my creedmoor.

I congratulate you on getting the kids out hunting. Elk are pretty tough animals in my experience and really require good shot placement. I would take a shoulder shot at a big Bull with my 340 and 210 grain partitions, but a 6.5 and little bullets require a lot more careful shot placement. Hunting cows you usually have more than one target to shoot at, so wait for that perfect broadside lung shot.

I congratulate you on getting the kids out hunting. Elk are pretty tough animals in my experience and really require good shot placement. I would take a shoulder shot at a big Bull with my 340 and 210 grain partitions, but a 6.5 and little bullets require a lot more careful shot placement. Hunting cows you usually have more than one target to shoot at, so wait for that perfect broadside lung shot.
With all these new bullets out there that basically explode or "old School" stay together it is important to know your shot placement with the type of bullet you are using at what range you are shooting.

Eldx and Amax for example, Up close they can explode on impact at to high velocity even on just hitting a rib. If your going to shoot an animal at Longer ranges than you want to know what the bullets going to do at that distance. Does it have the make up and power to punch through the shoulder at that range? At mid to long range 300-600 yards, will it explode if it hits bone or does it have the power and bullet make up to punch through.

Thats why we use accubonds and sst for the kids. 200 yards and under on a lung shot most the time the bullet explodes and 40% is stuck just under the hide with an SST. 250-600 50% sectional density loss and punch through all causing massive organ damage. 600-800 30-40 % sectional density loss 800-1000 barley fragments. That a 6.5x284 140sst 57.5gn retumbo neck sized to .292 wlrm primer 2940 fps out the barrrel. Stock savage TH 111 with 24 inch barrel, nosler or norma brass. As with always, work up to that if you use it. .5 grn more and I get ejector marks. I tend to run everything a little hot and dont really care about brass for hunting. Dont care to use lapua brass for hunting. I would just push it and expand the primer pockets too.

If its acceptable for me to shoot and kill with accurately in my rifles I'm ok with burning up a little brass.