Bullet failure 130 grain nosler partition with 6.5 creedmoor

Not sure if anyone else had this problem, but my son almost lost a cow elk yesterday due to bullet failure. He hit his cow elk low in the front shoulder smashing the bone above the elbow. Bullet appears to have completely come apart and did not enter the chest. Follow up shot smashed the same shoulder high but also failed to penetrate the chest. All this at 325 yards with a 6.5 creedmoor and a 130 grain nosler partition. We came back the next day and found the cow bedded in trees. She got up and ran off. Ultimately he killed her with a 270. So should I blame the 6.5 creedmoor as being too light for cow elk or the 130 grain nosler partition??? Anyone else kill elk with a 6.5 creedmoor with a solid shoulder shot? If so, what bullet did you use because my 11 year old daughter has a tag next month and can't handle the recoil of much more than my creedmoor.

My favorite elk load is 270 win, 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with 61 gr H4831 or 54 gr RL-17 in Hornady brass (yes I said Ballistic Tip for elk). Either load gets about 3050 fps. It will spoil any elk's day for as far as I care to shoot. I have to admit that I am not a true long range shooter. All the elk I have killed have been within 450 yards. The ideal shot for a broad side elk would be either middle of the neck, or line up with the front leg and about 1/3 of the way up the body. The latter will shatter the scapula and send bone fragments and bullet fragments into the heart and lung. Elk hit in that particular spot typically drop in their tracks. I have not experienced bullet failure or bullet deflection. If you happen to hit behind the shoulder, another good place to hit, the Ballistic Tip will shred the lungs. The elk might run 50 to 100 yards but will drop dead within that range. I would think a young hunter could handle the 270. But if you stick with the 6.5 CR, I would suggest trying to get closer and aim a bit behind the shoulder.

I like the 6.5 Creedmoor for certain purposes however I would never shoot an elk with one. I carried a custom .30-06 in Wyoming with 200 grain Nosler bullets for years for such an animal. Then I started carrying a custom .375 H&H not because you need a .375 for elk but for the reason if the elk is turned at a less than ideal angle with heavy for caliber controlled expansion bullets with proper placement you can still kill that bull as I hunted in blowdown timber where you did not always get your choice of shots at close range. It was also grizzly country where teenage grizzlies that had been driven out of Yellowstone Park lived and some of them were known to be ill-tempered after having their rears whipped by their betters inside the Park. Most people have no idea of the strength of a grizzly so if I bumped into one nose to nose with a mad on in that blowdown timber I wanted to make a serious impression on him with my .375 as I was only going to get one shot to do that before he could reach me.

I had a friend that owned a cabin south of Yellowstone with a separate outhouse. People took a slug loaded short shotgun for the short trip to the privy as you could see grizzly tracks in the daytime sometimes where bears had traveled between the house and the privy. The standard joke was sometimes you did not make it all the way to the privy before lossy control if you know what I mean.;) We never actually had any really bad accidents with the bears but there were some on the way to the privy!:confused:

Last edited:
The larger bullet for elk at any range is good as Rocky stated above unless you have the patience to wait for good broadside shot. Just not worth it to lose an elk due to bad bullet performance or inadequate shot placement and in Griz country a bit more sense of security. Quartering angles are common so if I have one shot I prefer.338 with 250 Berger VLD or other good bullet

If you can shoot it accurately and you hunt where its long range abilities are a plus the .338 Lapua with super premium 300grain .338 boattailed bullets really reach out there as their B.C.s are so high. My old bones just will not take it anymore. I am an old Elmer Keith throwback type of guy emphasis on old. I still carry a Ruger .44 mag while walking around in the woods loaded with Randy Garrett 330 grain Hammerheads.

Last edited:
The discussion of ethics is a banned subject at LRH. You need to delete.

The 6.5 has been used with massive success for a hundred years to kill every species of big game around the world. It is the most popular for European Moose and Red Deer, and the most popular in Africa for all but the big five.

Every species of the big 5, numerous examples of each have been taken with the 6.5's as well.
Why is ETHICS banned on LRH, This hints to me that some may not think a lot of these shots are ethical especially with mouse guns. LOL

Why is ETHICS banned on LRH, This hints to me that some may not think a lot of these shots are ethical especially with mouse guns. LOL
Because ethics discussions relative to LRH always end badly. IF you have a problem with the policy take it up with the management or find another site to frequent.

Stick It, It was a simple question to a real problem. I have seen to many shooters who don't shot worth a hoot at 100 yds. but still will blast away at UNWOUNDED game! It is unethical and I care less about your opinion. As a combat Marine I know how to shoot.
FWIW I qualified many time at 500 meters with a M14 (308 Win.) with open sights on man sized targets but as far as I see many LR shooters can not hunt,therefore they must SNIPE!

I guess the Marine corps didn't teach you how to respect another man's rules. Too bad.

I'm pretty sure the first thing the Corps taught recruits in your era was to obey their rules and respect the chain of command.

You're not doing yourself any favors here and if you continue you're likely lose your posting privileges period.

This is Len's site, no one has a right to post here other than himself and his sons, the rest of us are guests and bound by the rules we agreed to when we signed up.

You'd be well advised to delete your posts on this topic.

Stick It, It was a simple question to a real problem. I have seen to many shooters who don't shot worth a hoot at 100 yds. but still will blast away at UNWOUNDED game! It is unethical and I care less about your opinion. As a combat Marine I know how to shoot.
FWIW I qualified many time at 500 meters with a M14 (308 Win.) with open sights on man sized targets but as far as I see many LR shooters can not hunt,therefore they must SNIPE!

I was being NICE until this wipe mouthed off ! I respect my rules to much to worry about trivial stuff and a lot of folks need to learn how to hunt.
That's like saying they don't need to teach Marines to shoot to 500 meters when you should just hand them a Kbar.:D
Personally I would rather shoot them from afar, enemy combatants or game animals.