243 or 6mm reminton

I bought my wife a 6mm 30 plus years ago and she still wacks deer with it. The .243 is much easier to find components for so it would probably be the better choice but for as little as my wife shoots it the 6mm has worked out great! She has taken deer out to 400 plus with it. I was loading the 80 grain Barnes TTSX but we started shooting factory ammo in it and the 95 grain SST from Hornady has worked great as well.

6CM

460yds, dropped without a kick
20200123_115533.jpg

given the two cartiges what are your faverate one and what would you load in them for white tail deer.also its been told to me either with the right bullets are at most a 300 yard or under deer cartrige.your thoughts on this
I'd go with the 243 win, but I'm biased because I already have brass and dies. The 6mm Rem brass might be harder to get. The 6mm CM is fine too. I already had a 308 win so if I needed to resize brass in a pinch then I could. I'd pick any cartridge that fit your fancy. If you reload then your chances of finding a good load is pretty high. And you 300 yards or less I see no trouble for many of the 6mm cartridges out there.

6mm Remington = the 243 Ackley Improved

Question: Where to get good 6 Remington brass?

243 Win loaded with R#26 with 100-105's is 3150 in a 24" barrel!

No flies on a 6 Creed!
I have approximaetly 56 pieces of vintage 6 Remington brass for sale. Some is still loaded. Great condition

I killed 7 game animals this year with a 6cm, 400-730y, all one shot kills, nothing went more than 30y death sprint before dead. 108 elite hunter at 3050 with 40.4 rl16. That same load is available from Berger in loaded ammo but unsure of powder. With its generous long freebore, sharper shoulder, less taper, and fast saami twist, I feel it's a no brainer. 6mm slr is essential a 6cm at 243 case length. But once you start doing this, the long heavy high bc bullets now get near too long for sa magazine boxes.

I killed 7 game animals this year with a 6cm, 400-730y, all one shot kills, nothing went more than 30y death sprint before dead. 108 elite hunter at 3050 with 40.4 rl16. That same load is available from Berger in loaded ammo but unsure of powder. With its generous long freebore, sharper shoulder, less taper, and fast saami twist, I feel it's a no brainer. 6mm slr is essential a 6cm at 243 case length. But once you start doing this, the long heavy high bc bullets now get near too long for sa magazine boxes.
Yep. Now add another 200+ fps to that, and anyone can see why a good 6mm and proper bullet choice can easily be a 700 yd + deer sized game taker. Of course, one needs to be an competent LR shooter. Heck, we shoot P-dogs farther than that, and several of us are taking deer sized game at 4-500yds or so with 22 CM's and 22/250AI's with VLD bullets.

The 6 CM is about equal to the 6-22/250 AI in capacity, one has a 40* shoulder while the other is a 30* Shoulder.

243 AI = std 6 Rem in capacity and ballistics

6 Rem AI is faster than them all, but is behind the 240 Weatherby which is behind the 6 Gibbs.

Put a bullet through the heart/lungs deer and antelope die quickly

R#26 puts all of these cases in another relm of possibilities, but Berger bullets will only take so much rotational torque before the boat tail collapses during obturation into the bore. So, Nosler Solid base can be shot faster but with less BC, and along with Hammer bullets.

In the 6 Rem AI, 95g Nosler, 90g Sierra, 95g SST at 3500 is the real world accurate node, R#19. Many would not go this route, 6 AI with 70g Nosler ballistic tips on deer and antelope at 4100 on a 26" barrel, 12T. The 70g Nosler Ballistic tip is a much stouter bullet than you would ever think, and 500 is a chip shot.

Me and the kids have used the 243 Win some with fine results. Had a beautiful 6mmai but that was a varmint rifle.
I really like the 240 Weatherby, 7.5 twist Kreiger @ 26". Shooting the 80 grain TTSX at 3710 fps this past year. It also shoots the 105 Berger well and that also will hammer a deer!

I sold my 6mm to a buddy who "had to have it"! 243 has served me well. I have 6mm RCBS dies and some 6mm brass if anyone needs it. Make me a fair offer,

Recent Posts