243 or 6mm reminton

maddy

given the two cartiges what are your faverate one and what would you load in them for white tail deer.also its been told to me either with the right bullets are at most a 300 yard or under deer cartrige.your thoughts on this

given the two cartiges what are your faverate one and what would you load in them for white tail deer.also its been told to me either with the right bullets are at most a 300 yard or under deer cartrige.your thoughts on this
.243 win! GREAT Deer cartridge.
Even though the .243 win and 6mm Rem are basically the same cartridge, you can get .243 win Brass much easier.

.243 win! GREAT Deer cartridge.
Even though the .243 win and 6mm Rem are basically the same cartridge, you can get .243 win Brass much easier.
Concur! Both excellent whitetail cartridges. Brass support with .243 is much easier as well as dies etc. I'm sure there have been deer taken past 300 yards with each cartridge but I would not be comfortable beyond 250 yards. The .243 Winchester sits on the board of directors for Southern whitetail hunting.

I load several .243's along with a 6x45 and a .243 AI
My daughters rifle shoots the 70 nbt for under 100yds, has accounted for 2 deer
My son's rifle shoots the 80 ttsx for deer.
Killed several and a couple near 400yds.
I also load 100 partitions for him for elk, has accounted for one bull at 137 yds….blew through him.
The 6x45 shoots the 80 ttsx and has accounted for several deer as well and the longest shot was 275 yds.
Mine is the AI version, I load 105 amax's and has also accounted for several deer, longest was this year at 480 yds.

Between the two , I went with 243 . But my Uncle had a Winchester md/88 that was a Lazer beam compared to the 30-30 Md 94 . I've graduated slowly up to a bolt action and that's what I prefer. For years the Remington Cor-Lok took all game , but being a reloader you try different types and weights of bullets , 95,100, partitions are great , but the Barnes X,TSX,TTSX, and the new HAMMer bullets are Strong contenders. Lots just get buy with 100 whatever bullets but that's fine it's a Individual Choice, being that it's a smaller diameter bullet it carries less punch , so limited ranges are prudent for the beginner and less experienced hunters . However if you're a crack shoot, Or Annie Okely, type you can extend the range more then a bit . Remember shot placement is everything, and I just wanted to say many Love the 6 mm Remington and it's a Wonderfull round that Stands easily on its own merits, Again it's Great to have Choices. Cheers 😊🥳

I/we used both this year.

I used my 6mm Rem to take a nice buck on opening day of firearms season here in MI. I've used it on mule deer in WY as did its previous owner, a patient of mine. RL-19 and 95 Nosler Ballistic Tip do a great job.
My daughter used her 243 to take two doe on the last day of the season this year. She uses plain old Winchester Power Max Bonded in the 100gr offering and they work very well.

Use whichever one you have. I have not touched my personal 243 in several years and love to shoot my 6mm Remington.
The 243 will definitely have more support, but of course also consider the 6mm Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor if you want a more modern cartridge. You can find 6mm Remington (244 Remington) brass if you're patient.

The 243 Win is an easy choice with all the brass options but the 6 Rem will take it any day on velocity. I grew up with the 6 mm and still stick with it because of that. Just wish there was more brass options. The 6mm AI gives the 6-284 a close run. One of the biggest gains in an Ackley.

I have both, no real world difference between them. However, I shoot my 6mm Rem more because I like the rifle, a Browning 78. Ammo is a ton easier to find for a 243 vs 6mm Remington, as a reloader not an issue for me but factory ammo is hard to find these days. I used a load of RL17 and an 85 grain Nosler partition to take 3 pronghorn antelope, works well for me.

I own four 243's and AI's, a 6mm Rem and 6mm RemAI, and they all work very well on deer sized game. With the fast twist, you can load the longer VLD designs and reach far beyond the 300yd mark with confident success, and with the 6mm, you gain a little more speed. The 6RemAI does even better in the speed and range departments.

While I prefer my 6's to the 243's, 6mmRem brass and ammo are difficult to locate, so if you do not have a current source, I would recommend one begin with the 243 or its AI version. There are several great bullets for the 6mm family, and if your going to remain in the 300yd and below camp, the 80gr TTSX, 85gr Speer, 90gr varieties, 95 Berger VLD, the 103ELD and the old 105AMAX, and since I have so many left and they work, I still like to use the old school Sierra and Speer 100gr BTSP in a couple of my rifles.

Last edited:
I'm a 243 fan but both cartridges will perform similarly. I'd still go 243 for factory ammo as a pinch and 105ish projectiles. It will do what you ask of it at those distances.
IMG_9250.jpg

My grandson has killed, 2 very large Bodied, Desert Muley's in southern Idaho with his .243 Win., Tikka T-3 at, 225 and 268 Yards both, DRT with, 87 grain Berger, VLD-Hunting Bullets, pushed to, 3,135 FPS.
Very little Meat Loss and, innard's,.. "Mush" ! Both,.. DRT
He now has, a heavy horned, 4 x 5,.. 30+ incher, on his Bedroom Wall, next to his nice 3 x 4 that he shot, when he was, 12 y/o.
The .243 win., gets it, Done ! I replaced that Rifle ( yup, he abscounded with, it ) with, a 6.5 Creed for, ole grandad and, I'm very Happy with, the 6.5 !
High BC, 130 gr. Bullets, at OVER, 2,800 FPS, is,.. Sweet !

Last edited: