6mm br

Off the subject of 6br but fast little bullets do perform! This bullet was a .224 Speer TNT 50 grain hp. 22-250 3900fps impact at 479 lasered yards. Perfect heart shot. Doe jumped like it got stung and then stood there. When I reloaded as I assumed I missed somehow she laid down in the overgrown field. When I drove up to her I assumed she was going to bust out so I reloaded but when I located her she was stone dead. I found the bullet under her hide while feeling for an exit hole.
Good to know,

Never try varmint bullet on deer, find them to sofpt but you have great result!

Will think about it if canot find what I whant.

What are the limitations? Low recoil? The ability to observe hits/misses through the scope? Confidence from shooting it a lot?

Those are the same things that are said about using a .223 for whitetails. Like I said, guys do it.

I met a guy who had plenty of photos to prove that he was killing nice bucks with a Ruger 10/22. They were all shot in the head. Not legal in most places but it was obviously doable.

I'm from the other camp and just prefer cartridges with a bit more HP for hunting biggame, but everyone's mileage is different.

Those are the same things that are said about using a .223 for whitetails. Like I said, guys do it.

I met a guy who had plenty of photos to prove that he was killing nice bucks with a Ruger 10/22. They were all shot in the head. Not legal in most places but it was obviously doable.

I'm from the other camp and just prefer cartridges with a bit more HP for hunting biggame, but everyone's mileage is different.

Ahh...the .22lr strawman...

You will have no issues with the 6 be and the 100g Speer btsp, the 85g Speer btsp is another really fine choice for deer and hogs. I believe that the 85g Speer btsp is a better bullet for deer and hogs than the Sierra 85g bthp, I shot both out of a 243 Win with R#19 and a fed 215 primer.
85g Speer always gets more penetration than the 85g Sierra bthp.

No telling when the 85g Sierra bthp will be made again, I have not seen a production run in three years. No sense in wanting something that you can not have.

ON another note, the Speer 100g Hot core flat base Is tougher than the 100g btsp. The Hornady 100g Flat base acts like a partition, other than it does not break apart into two sections(exits).

Last edited:
You will have no issues with the 6 be and the 100g Speer btsp, the 85g Speer btsp is another really fine choice for deer and hogs. I believe that the 85g Speer btsp is a better bullet for deer and hogs than the Sierra 85g bthp, I shot both out of a 243 Win with R#19 and a fed 215 primer.
85g Speer always gets more penetration than the 85g Sierra bthp.

No telling when the 85g Sierra bthp will be made again, I have not seen a production run in three years. No sense in wanting something that you can not have.

ON another note, the Speer 100g Hot core flat base Is tougher than the 100g btsp. The Hornady 100g Flat base acts like a partition, other than it does not break apart into two sections(exits).
Those Sierra 85 grain bthp's were magical on deee!!

I used them but thought that the Speer 85g btsp performed better on quartering shots, but they both work well. I shot two barrels out in the 6/284 win with IMR 4831, using the 85g bthp at 3600 fps. I do believe that the bullet has been changed to be tougher since I was using it in the late 80s. In a 6 Rem, I also shot the 90g Speer Hot Core flat base on deer with R#19, with great results.

There is a guy here that is using 70g Nosler ballistic tips on deer out of a 6 Gibbs, blazing speeds.

Good to know,

Never try varmint bullet on deer, find them to sofpt but you have great result!

Will think about it if canot find what I whant.
There are several applications where a varmint bullet worked exceptionally well on deer. Some of the rifle cartridges in single shot pistols. Sierra and Hornady both made an SSP bullet, then discontinued them. One of the guys at Sierra recommended a specific varmint bullet for the application, heard folks got a similar response from Hornady.
There is a gent on YouTube that has killed a huge number of hogs with a 6.5 Grendel, Seeing his results I would think the Speer TNT would make a good white tail bullet as well.