6mm Arc for deer

sdakotaguy

6mm Arc has not been out there for very long in the big picture. Yet I am interested how this chambering is being received as a deer hunting option. I have been utilizing the cartridge in a 22" barrel CZ 527 for 3 years now. Five deer taken from 100 yards to 254 yards with none traveling over 80 yards after the shot & the average being a bit less than 50 yards. First deer was taken with a 108 grain cup & core Elite Hunter. Second & third deer were taken with 87 grain Absolute Hammer. Fourth & Fifth deer the 90 Grain Hornady CX was put to use.

My findings is like anything, shot placement has everything to do with distance covered after the shot. Two of these deer were dead on the spot with a CNS system shot placement. The remaining 3 were taken with a broadside heart, lung shot & they covered closer to 80 yards before piling up after the shot.

Near as I can tell most deer are still taken inside of 120 yards. Seems to me the the 6mm ARC is up to the task of harvesting deer for most of our scenarios. Anyone else here using or considering the 6mm ARC for deer hunting?

Last edited:
As for twist rate, standard twist rate for 6mm ARC is 1 in 7.5 inches. Standard factory Ammo runs103 gr ELDX, 105 gr BTHP & 108 grain ELD. so the standard 6mm ARC is throated for longer bullets. Although cartridge OAL is generally limited to 2.250 ish for most magazine lengths. Understand exceptions do exist for magazine length.

6 ARC is a great round! Nice thing is more and more factory options are popping up lately. I had planned to use my 6 ARC for antelope hunting last fall, but couldn't get an acceptable accurate load with the 75 gr Hammer HHT prior to my hunt. Use the right bullet and put it in the right spot and it will definitely do the trick.

I like the 6 mm ARC, I have two ARs with Proof SS barrels they are accurate...not so with the BA barrel.
Might as well just use the 5.56 as the 22 ARC, not enought case to make a difference, and losing 5.56 brass when varminting no big deal.
The 8.6 Blackout was at least somewhat regretful to totally regretful, as I am rebarreling the ridiculous 3 twist for a 6.5 twist 338 barrel.

The 6ARC is going to make a fine deer and antelope round. I didn't draw a tag last year so no actual performance data. The AR that I built shoots the 103 ELDX very well so I will be putting it to use this coming season on deer or goats. I'm thinking of picking up one of the Howa minis in 6ARC for my daughter to use. It makes for a fine compact hunting setup.

20220528_211018.jpg

I like the 6 mm ARC, I have two ARs with Proof SS barrels they are accurate...not so with the BA barrel.
Might as well just use the 5.56 as the 22 ARC, not enought case to make a difference, and losing 5.56 brass when varminting no big deal.
The 8.6 Blackout was at least somewhat regretful to totally regretful, as I am rebarreling the ridiculous 3 twist for a 6.5 twist 338 barrel.
22 arc exists to let folks run long, high BC bullets (like the 88 ELDM) in an AR mag, not for a meaningful performance boost over 223/5.56. If you're running lighter bullets, a longer mag, or are okay with single feeding it doesn't do much.

The same is true with 6mm. 6-223 and 6 TCU will sling bullets in the 80 grain range at roughly the same velocity as 6 ARC, but once you get into the 100gr+ range and add the ~2.25" length restriction of an AR mag ARC takes the lead.

Folks have been hunting deer with slow 6mms for decades. 6 ARC isn't significantly different in regards to performance, it's just better suited to today's mainstream rifles. If I wanted to hunt with an AR in a non- straight wall state it'd be high on my list, and it's one of the better long range cartridges for an AR.

I bought the 22" sporter barrel Howa Mini barreled action from Brownells and matched it up with a Bell and Carlson M40 stock. Settled on what I think will be a great whitetail load 26.5 grains Varget and the 108 ELD-M. 2625 FPS and sub MOA accurate.

For me, the reason I'm really up on this cartridge is the ability to spot hits while hunting. I watch impacts from 100-1000 yards with this gun. Makes shooting long range much easier. Also with a suppressor it's pretty quiet.

I look forward to hunting deer with it later this year.

IMG_0119.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

IMG_0188.jpeg

For hunting will have to build an AR upper, have the stuff. Just need a barrel. But glad folks are having success with the caliber. But was going to use it for antelope and white tail.

6 ARC works well for deer, at least at close MN and WI ranges (<200 yds). I shot a decent doe this year with my 18" AR and 103 ELD, she didn't go 10 yds. Small sample size, but so far similar to 6.5 Grendel which has been great on deer. I'll take the 6 ARC out again next year, likely loaded with 106 TAP.

I bought this 6ARC rifle for my wife, and she has used it with great success. Fantastic little deer hunting cartridge.

Love shooting mine. It's such an easy shooting gun. It's so easy to spot hits I have actually seen a couple vapor trails shooting steel at 600 yards.