243 or 6mm reminton

I understand that there is a metric ton of .243 Win. fans. Probably for good a reason or maybe two. However...

I'm a fan of the 6mm Remington or at least one of the variations, the 6mm Crusader, slightly improved with a 32 degree shoulder and body blown out straighter. But I think it's important to avoid some of the limits of comparing just the two.

Small to large:

6BR
6GT
6x47 Lapua
6XC
6mmSLR (.243 longer neck and improved shoulder, much better)
6mm Creedmoor
.240 Weatherby
6mm-06 Improved

For me it's difficult to selectively eliminate any of the above cartridges. They all have worked for me, the first three in SS pistols as well as rifles.

Enjoy!

:)

243 win or 6 creed would be my choice. If you are buying a factory rifle the creed typically has a faster twist to shoot heavier bullets.

I am real olde and I have had experiences with both, .244 Rem (AKA 6mm Rem) & .243 Win since the late 1950's, like 66 years ago. Given the same twist rates they are close ballistic twins.

Thoughtful cartridge guys have come up with the 6mm Creedmoor - fits great in a short action rifle & has the option of small rifle primers.

In a short action rifle I would select the 6mm Creedmoor & be happy with weekly buys of small rifle primers to produce ammo. 6mm Remington & 7mm X 57 Mauser brass is large primer & close to impossible to find.

I recently re-barreled a FN Mauser 6mm Rem to an 8 twist .243 Win loaded to 2.9 inches COAL with 105 grain bullets, because my LGS's & on-line stores never have 6mm Rem brass. I plan to reform small primer .260 Rem brass to .243 Win brass so I can burn the barrel out using abundant small rifle primers.

I never shot any deers with a 6mm rifle but have used 6mm's successfully against rodents up to 1/2 mile away & have shot steel up to 1,000.

given the two cartiges what are your faverate one and what would you load in them for white tail deer.also its been told to me either with the right bullets are at most a 300 yard or under deer cartrige.your thoughts on this

I would be curious to know where all you plan to hunt whitetails. There seems to be a fairly broad size/weight spectrum of whitetail dear in the US, and if you're just hunting 130-180 lb (bucks) whitetail in PA, I don't know what I would limit yourself to 250-300 yards with the right bullets. However, some of the Northern and Midwest whitetails can get significantly bigger.

I would be curious to know where all you plan to hunt whitetails. There seems to be a fairly broad size/weight spectrum of whitetail dear in the US, and if you're just hunting 130-180 lb (bucks) whitetail in PA, I don't know what I would limit yourself to 250-300 yards with the right bullets. However, some of the Northern and Midwest whitetails can get significantly bigger.
6mm will kill any white tail on this planet, provided a good shot.

given the two cartiges what are your faverate one and what would you load in them for white tail deer.also its been told to me either with the right bullets are at most a 300 yard or under deer cartrige.your thoughts on this
I've got a great photo of the two.
My first rifle was a .243 (M70) and my dad shot a 6 Rem (Rem 788).

Essentially they are a wash. Given modern options, especially for deer sized game, I think they both have all but died out except for the legacy rifles that exist. That said...with a 6 Rem typically having 9 twist barrels...I'd probably lean towards the 6 Rem. HOWEVER, if you were going to have a rifle built...with a barrel of your choice...I'd probably still lean toward a 6 Creed.

This is not to say one is better than the other, just a cool pic I took about 12 years ago.
I actually rebarreled my Win M70 to a 6x284 with an 8 twist. The .243 was essentailly shot out, and the M70 was a long action anyway. Made sense to me.

FB_IMG_1605837880922.jpg

This is not to say one is better than the other, just a cool pic I took about 12 years ago.
I actually rebarreled my Win M70 to a 6x284 with an 8 twist. The .243 was essentailly shot out, and the M70 was a long action anyway. Made sense to me.

What kind of velocities are typical from the 6x284?

What kind of velocities are typical from the 6x284?
Mine's not built for speed. I'd guess with a 115, you wouldn't have much problem getting 3600+ with the right barrel. Maybe more, not sure.
I started out with a 19" pipe and a suppressor.
I kept everything around 3150 fps to be legal for steel matches, but as you can imagine, it was hard on barrels and wasn't very efficient. 5 round mags don't lend themselves well for 10-12 rounds under time constraints.

FB_IMG_1574302327927.jpg
FB_IMG_1574302300055.jpg

FB_IMG_1607756350347.jpg

Once that first barrel was toast (900 rounds or so)
I re-barreled to a 21" and switched powder. Similar speeds. 3175 but like...6gr less powder and I think it was around 1200 rounds or so before she gave up. Still one of my most accurate rifles. I mostly use it for LR targets and hunting now days....I have a lot of other cartridges that are better designed for matches...but this one has a special place in my heart.

FB_IMG_1607756314820.jpg

IMAG4763~2-1.jpg

given the two cartiges what are your faverate one and what would you load in them for white tail deer.
243 because it is available everywhere if you have the brass and gun 6mm as it has a little more zip. 100gr Hornady SP. If factory same or 100gr Core Lokt.
also its been told to me either with the right bullets are at most a 300 yard or under deer cartride.....
You can set any limit you want for distance. For me a 100gr at 2900 will go 500 for deer any day.