243 or 6mm reminton

750 yards for my setup. That's where the 75gr bullet will slow to a point of not functioning the way it was designed.
True... for the Hammer bullets. And as they get increasingly popular, it may be that the industry shifts in that direction.

But for someone selecting a deer rifle, 750 yards isn't exactly the right expectation to set for either the 243 or 6mm unless they are going to be running Hammer bullets exclusively.

Outliers and anecdotes can be extremely true and still fail to aptly answer the question.

I've taken deer sized game out passed 700yds with the 95 Berger and the old 105 AMAX, and even with the old school 100BTSP and 85 BTSP, shots out passed 500yds were routine.
In what chambering? 243? 6mm? 240 Weatherby?

I'm not saying it's not doable... we've all probably seen the video of the cow elk shot with a 243 at 680+ yards. But if we're going with the generally accepted rule (guideline) of 1000 ft lbs to kill deer size game, it's going to be stretch to get either of the two chamberings in question to hit those numbers.

given the two cartiges what are your faverate one and what would you load in them for white tail deer.also its been told to me either with the right bullets are at most a 300 yard or under deer cartrige.your thoughts on this
Having had both, I'd favor the 243. Much better support in ammo and brass. I also found both 6mms I had (Browning B-78 and Remington 700 Classic) very finicky. Finally achieved 5/8" groups with Classic, but never that tight with B-78. Tried 85, 95 & 100 grainers.

My Remington Model 7 in 243 shot under 1" with different factory ammo right out of the box. My reloads with 100gr NPs shoot 3/8". Rem 7 might even shoot better as it has a 2-7 Leupold mounted to keep it light.

I'm sure you can get the 6mm Rem shooting very accurately. In my experience, it may be an expensive project.

In what chambering? 243? 6mm? 240 Weatherby?

I'm not saying it's not doable... we've all probably seen the video of the cow elk shot with a 243 at 680+ yards. But if we're going with the generally accepted rule (guideline) of 1000 ft lbs to kill deer size game, it's going to be stretch to get either of the two chamberings in question to hit those numbers.
With the 243 and 6mmRem and AI. Lets not fall for the old arbitrary and erroneous "1,000 ft/lbs minimum", for real world experience has long since debunked that old notion. Many of us have killed far too many game animals with weapons that do not even have 1,000 ft/lbs at the muzzle.

To me the 243 and 6mm were slow boats to china. AI does improve them greatly. When you miss place a shot you are in for a long walk or tracking generally, and that goes with almost any poorly place shot. Reloading does hop them up.

I am a fam of the 6mmRem but years ago I started gifting grandkids deer rifles in 243 win.
My model 700 6mmrem shot teeny tiny groups but finally sold it to match the 243 chambering rifles I had given them.
I now have a Styer model L in 243 that will almost match the above mentioned 6mm.
I have killed multiple mule deer with the 243 and don't fill under gunned with one.
It certainly isn't my favorite deer cartridge, I prefer a 257 Roberts or a 7X57, but it works.
Ammo is so easily available at almost any store selling ammo that I would vote for 243.

True... for the Hammer bullets. And as they get increasingly popular, it may be that the industry shifts in that direction.

But for someone selecting a deer rifle, 750 yards isn't exactly the right expectation to set for either the 243 or 6mm unless they are going to be running Hammer bullets exclusively.

Outliers and anecdotes can be extremely true and still fail to aptly answer the question.
Explain why? If the bullet manufacturer gives a min why not go by that. I do that for all bullets it's been failsafe for me on everything I shoot. I just use hammers in this one.

Explain why? If the bullet manufacturer gives a min why not go by that. I do that for all bullets it's been failsafe for me on everything I shoot. I just use hammers in this one.
Nothing wrong with that. But Hammers are the only bullets out there getting those velocities (all else being equal). There aren't any companies making affordable factory loads with Hammers, so it doesn't seem like the general shooter is going to be using Hammer Bullet based numbers in determining a new rifle's capabilities. That's all I'm trying to say.

In fact one could argue you could squeeze more out of some of the soft high bc like Berger. They open easy and at slow speeds and have a high bc. Keep in mind that's my max and how I decide but doesn't mean he can't reach for another caliber when he knows he may need it.

Nothing wrong with that. But Hammers are the only bullets out there getting those velocities (all else being equal). There aren't any companies making affordable factory loads with Hammers, so it doesn't seem like the general shooter is going to be using Hammer Bullet based numbers in determining a new rifle's capabilities. That's all I'm trying to say.
I stated In my rifle. And I'm not pushing crazy speed for a 75gr .243 as it's a ar 10.