• Chronograph

Votes: 1,098 63.4%
  • Trail camera

Votes: 677 39.1%
  • Weather station or wind meter

Votes: 731 42.2%

• Total voters
Swaro LRF
Caldwell Wind Meter (next item to get sacked and upgraded)
Prochrono Digital chronograph
Iphone 3G S with Ballistic: FTE, aswell as exbal on my PC.

Leica 1200 LRF

Kestrel 2500 NV

Dell Axium PDA... NF

I just recently shot and killed the lying Beta Chrony so I left it unchecked:D

BigBuck

"GOOD ONE"
I had to laugh at that one.

Get an Oehler 35P and you will use that bullet to guard it with.

J E CUSTOM

Re: beta

I asked around and guys said to get the Beta, what is the issue with it.
Thanks,

I had givin it a good review on someones post boy I need to retract that post !(I can't remeber the thread) The issue with my beta chrony was exactly what I posted it LIES!!!! Why spend $ on kestrel $ on a PC $ on NF balli. and have a chrony tell you lies ?? Then have all of the other equipment fail ? braggin rights is all the chrony is good for in my opinion. or highdollar target practice :D

BigBuck

"GOOD ONE"
I had to laugh at that one.

Get an Oehler 35P and you will use that bullet to guard it with.

J E CUSTOM

JE laughter is good medicine :)

Do you know what the comp shooters are using ?
can you make first round hits with MV measured by the Oehler 35P if so I may decide to stop using chronies for target practice:D (It was an accident) but it sure felt good:):)

BigBuck

JE laughter is good medicine :)

Do you know what the comp shooters are using ?
can you make first round hits with MV measured by the Oehler 35P if so I may decide to stop using chronies for target practice:D (It was an accident) but it sure felt good:):)

BigBuck

Most of the competition shooters use an Oehler of one model or the other because of
there dependability and accuracy. To me the main difference is the proof channel(3 Ski
screens) .The proof channel compares the velocity between two sets of screens and
if if there is to much difference between the two it tells you with an error message
and you have the choice to delete or keep that shot. (Its like having two chronographs).

There are lab models that have strain gauges that measure chamber pressure in
addition to velocities,SDs,ESs,Highest velocity, Lowest velocity and average.

I have the Oehler 35 P (Printer) and It has never lied or let me down.

I may be miss quoting this but I was told that it samples 4 million times a second
and a bullet that travels 3000ft/sec gets measured every .016 thousandths of an inch
of bullet flight. If I am wrong someone please feel free to correct me.

Plus it does all of the math when you sum and prints it out for later study. I rite the cartrige
and the load number on this printout and years I can look at actual velocities of that load
to compare with a new batch of the same powder and the same load.

The chronagraph is not a toy or just a gadget It will save lots of money and time and
if it is a good one it will be invaluable if you use it for all of its uses and information.

I would not be without one (In fact I have two in case one starts acting up And starts giving
me lots of errors I can use the other one while it is being fixed ) At no charge by Oehler.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE,
I guess I am stuck for a while anyway. Already opened the box.
I'll see how things pan out for a bit.
I have been a shooter for a long time but now I am trying to be something more.
Not competitive, just better!
I am a hunter first so making a good humane shot is my primary reason for spending more time at the range plus my son goes with me and he will hopefully come away with life lessons...you just never know though.
I have been shooting the Nikon BDC scopes on most of my and my sons big game rifles so knowing our load better will make us more accurate shooters. Now that we have discovered the Nikon Spot On Ballistic Match Technology using the circles on our scopes will be a snap.
Again, Thanks for all the info on Chrono., I guess they are like anything, you can alawys find someone who likes one brand over another, Maybe I should have inquired a tad more,lesson learned for me.

Thanks JE,
I guess I am stuck for a while anyway. Already opened the box.
I'll see how things pan out for a bit.
I have been a shooter for a long time but now I am trying to be something more.
Not competitive, just better!
I am a hunter first so making a good humane shot is my primary reason for spending more time at the range plus my son goes with me and he will hopefully come away with life lessons...you just never know though.
I have been shooting the Nikon BDC scopes on most of my and my sons big game rifles so knowing our load better will make us more accurate shooters. Now that we have discovered the Nikon Spot On Ballistic Match Technology using the circles on our scopes will be a snap.
Again, Thanks for all the info on Chrono., I guess they are like anything, you can alawys find someone who likes one brand over another, Maybe I should have inquired a tad more,lesson learned for me.

Any chronograph is better than none !!!!

I no longer compete in matches I just compete against my self and hunt.

Have fun and enjoy the chronograph.

J E CUSTOM

I know some guys are gonna disagree but I recently set up my chrony beta behind a Oehler 35p and shot thru them @ the same time and much to my surpise my Chrony game me the same numbers everytime (20fps lower but I figured that was because it was behind the Oehler). I will say that my Beta gives me false readings and trouble more often though. However this past Sunday I could not get that same Oehler to give me any kind of reading everytime I would shoot it would read 0000, any ideas what could be wrong with it, we pretty much tried everything?

Range finder: Leupold RX-III (The only not good Leupold product I have used so far)

Ballistic programs: JBM Ballistics on my Iphone

Weather Station: Kestrel 3500

Chronograph: F1 Master Chrony

GPS: Garmin E-Trex

If you shoot one way over there on the other side of a canyon you can use some GPS models and a range finder to get you to the animal. Point the GP
S at the animal, input the range and mark it as a way point. Then follow the Route to the animal.

I try to make sure everyone in the group has an FRS radio. While some may consider it unethical to use radios to assist experienced or trophy hunters in finding or stalking game, I think I even read it violates B&C rules, radios are certainly helpful in calling for assistance dragging one out, coordinating meeting back at the truck for lunch or for emergencies.

I do have a chrono but it doesn't come on hunting trips.

Poole

I use the radios as well. Our whole hunting group does. They have proven extremely valuable to us. My brother has epilepsy and 3 out of the 5 major ceisures he has had have been while hunting. No way in hell will we hunt without being able to be in constant contact with him. If he doesnt answer the radio call, we go searching. I check in on him every 15 minutes.

Last year an unfortunate shot wounded and elk and I can honestly say that radios saved the day. We were able to spread out and a few non-hunters in our group found the elk but could not pull a trigger. They radiod those that could, told the location, and boom dead elk 15 minutes later. That is ethical in my eyes, I don't care who you are!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.