Which guns do you use for predator hunting?

Which guns do you use for predator hunting?

• Bolt Action Only

Votes: 975 40.1%
  • AR-15 Only

Votes: 81 3.3%
  • Shotgun Only

Votes: 9 0.4%
  • Bolt and Shotgun

Votes: 416 17.1%
  • AR-15 and Shotgun

Votes: 95 3.9%
  • Both AR-15 and Bolt

Votes: 857 35.2%

• Total voters
For coyotes: either a .22-250 or a .270. It's really irrelevant which caliber is used. Most calibers will do the job if the rifle is sighted in properly, has fair-good accuracy, and is in the hands of a shooter who is familiar with where the bullet will land at any given distance and in any wind condition.

My .22-250 single is bench-rest quality, weighing in about 13 pounds with scope; the .270 Mountain Rifle is far lighter. I use either one, depending on how far I have to walk to get to the set. I don't collect pelts, so I am not concerned with how much damage is done to the animal.

Using the single-shot forces me to be more critical of my making good shots. I have one chance. If I miss, the dog usually splits and I have only myself to blame for not making the shot. An AR in .308 or 7mm-08 would be nice, but I'm used to the .22-250 and am familiar with the bullet trajectory. I usually don't miss, but then again, I have to pick my shots. I use a FoxPro CS-24 caller, plus hand calls and try for maximum concealment, minimum movement, scent-control, and all that good stuff.

I like my Savage 308 4x 16 44 mm, for coyotes, hogs, deer, and bear for that matter.
I have an AR 308, and I like it W/3x12 50mm .. But don't like toting it around.
My best custom rifle was a 270 and I hunted varmints and everything with it, but that Douglas barrel on it got a lot heavier; as I reached my 60's, so I passed that one down to my son... By far the Savage is my rifle, and the easiest to carry for me. The stock isn't fancy and I can shoot it left or right handed because of it.

I don't use any of the options listed. I use a Ruger no 1 in 6mm Rem with a 58g VMax.

I would like to someday get into a .204 Ruger for my varmints.

Which guns or combinations of guns do you use for predator hunting?

AR= I built for varmits-
-22" Bull Barrel
-OP4 Side charger upper with Fail Zero BCG
-LRB lower
-Magpul PRS Stock
-SWFA SS 10x42 Glass
-Harris bypod
- Use 75gr BTHP

Bolt Gun for Varmits-
-Ruger Model 77
-Chambered in .204
- use Hornady 40gr V-Max ammo

223/556 with 60gr BT's, decent 3-9 scope set at 3x is good for 20-200yds turn up the power for longer range. Started with a 788 in 222 and moved up to built AR's but am comfortable hunting varmints with any of them. Honestly like the quick handling and feel of a skinny barreled bolt gun, also like it mag fed.

T/C Icon Precision hunter in a 6.5 creedmoor. Awesome coyote gun and caliber. Those 140 A-max bullets flatten them where they stand! I want to try some 95gn V-max bullets though....

Needs to be a couple more selections in the poll.
I use all 3 at times.
Also have used a 10mm pistol twice...

I will use the same pistol to hunt mountain lions this winter..

Stay tuned for the post if I connect

I hunt with hounds so bobcat or lion I use either 22lr or 22 mag, either in a Ruger Single Six pistol with scope or a Taurus Circuit Judge rifle (also interchangeable cylinder) I mounted a Vortex Daimondback 1.75x5 scope on the Taurus and removed the one screw that holds the shoulder stock on. That way I take the buttstock off and it all fits inside my pack, get to the tree and I pull it out, slide the stock on and am ready to go. For bears I use a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 with fiber optic sights.

Calling coyotes or wolves I will normally use either a Ruger mini-14 with scout scope or a single shot 218 Bee Improved. The 218 will shoot sub-1/4 moa so out to 250 it is my gun of choice unless I am expecting multiple animals. If I really want to reach out there I'll take the 7mm STW, but it is pretty rough on pelts.

I sit with a Remington 700 243 with a 26" Douglas #5 1-12" in a glass bedded VLS stock it shoots well with 70 gr. bullets and if they flank me up close a old benelli M1 makes short work of 'em.

AR-with Red dot.

Attachments

• three cross ranch 033.jpg
    three cross ranch 033.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Coyote Hunt aug 2013 006.jpg
    Coyote Hunt aug 2013 006.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Coyote hunt 8-2013 001.jpg
    Coyote hunt 8-2013 001.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 23
ARs aren't really an option over here so tends to be bolt guns.

I tend to use a .223 CZ 527 for most when out after foxes
7x64 has accounted for a few when out after deer
Quite a few have fallen to the Browning 525 and Benelli Super Nova. (when rough shooting (upland as you guys would say) and a few on organised fox drives as well).

One daft fox even came to have a look at my goose decoys once. Mr Darwin caught up with him the via auspices of a 3" No1 load delivered by Mr Benelli.

ATB,

Scrummy

For my predator hunting in NEPA, I use a Remington 700 in .30-06, or a Rem 870. I haven't got one yet, but I will! Hopefully will get a coyote this weekend as Santa brought me some brand new calls LOL!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts