Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

Do you use an adjustable cheekpiece on your rifle?

• YES

Votes: 612 30.1%
  • NO

Votes: 943 46.5%
  • NO, but I really should!

Votes: 475 23.4%

• Total voters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I just started using one and feel I should have done so long ago. It doesn't matter so much at the bench, but in field conditions (prone, seated) it really feels more solid in achieving a good consistent, cheek weld. So lightweight, it only weighs a few ounces. This picture doesn't show the new anodized black fasteners that Shawn has on their way to me to replace the aluminum ones now shown.

This is my coyote gun. I will be adding one to my antelope/deer gun also.

I like it so much I just became a dealer!

Defensive Edge Adjustable Cheekpiece at the LRH Gear Shop

7831PS.jpg

Last edited:
I do on one of my rifles and should on another. A couple are perfect without one.

I wish I didn't need one, as it would lighten the rifle a bit and also would have been cheaper to build.

AJ

You can get the same results from a Cheek-Eez type stick on comb of proper thickness with a lot less fuss (if you're not allergic to rubber). They stay put, are fairly easy to remove, and the adhesive doesn't harm the stock finish.

Yes, I know the Carlock/Karsten type combs are much more rugged and fashionable; and, of course, they are adjustable...to tell the truth, I'd opt for this type if I wasn't so lazy.

will one of these work with a monte carlo stock ? I have a McMillan on my mark V and I'm not getting a good cheek weld . I would like to get one of these but I'm not sure it will work on this style of stock . thanks Jim

I need to on every rifle, except one that has a custom made stock with custom monte carlo stock, in order to get a goot cheekweld.

JeffVN

I use a Karsten which I took a Dremel to and cut a little slot for removing the bolt. This rifle has a Nightforce and a McMillan HTG style stock. The stocks that Darrell Holland has made by McMillan have a Monte Carlo style and have excellent cheek weld ( at least with a 42mm size objective lens.) I really do like the adjustable cheek pieces but I am becoming more and more convinced that once I obtain that proven and repeatable cheek weld I shouldn't mess with it by raising and lowering to remove the bolt...this has been a flaw of mine in the past. I just bought one from DE and will be putting that on an HS Precision stock that I have...should work out well.

30-338

Several years ago, I ordered one out of Canada and mounted it on a LR shooter. Since then I order my rifles with one on it. I prefer the molded in type like McMillan builds.
db

I just had Shawn Carlock install a cheek piece on my rifle while I was attending his LRC and it made a world of difference.

I use an adjustable cheekpiece now. Concentrating on holding my cheek at the same position on the cheekpiece each shot is one of my main challenges.

Having shot skeet for many years it didn't take long to figure out that an adjustable comb on a shotgun gives you a consistant head and eye position. It only stands to reason that an adjustable comb on a rifle would provide a more consistant cheek weld, after all the rear sight is really your eye. I have an adjustable comb on all of my long guns.

Dallas

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.