Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Which brand of shooting chronograph do you use?

• Shooting Chrony

Votes: 512 36.2%
  • Oehler

Votes: 235 16.6%
  • CED M2

Votes: 189 13.3%
  • Pact

Votes: 127 9.0%
  • PVM-22

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Pro Chrony

Votes: 343 24.2%

• Total voters
A thread discussing a "poll" on products that have changed dramatically since the poll began and doesn't include new products that are on the market today doesn't have much value. Perhaps the person responsible for keeping things current on the forum should take this one down. :rolleyes:

A thread discussing a "poll" on products that have changed dramatically since the poll began and doesn't include new products that are on the market today doesn't have much value. Perhaps the person responsible for keeping things current on the forum should take this one down. :rolleyes:

No reason for Len to take it down, but maybe run a new one with the new entries into the market. But I doubt the LabRadar has made huge inroads at $550 - $650.

a fun double check with my chrono

Here's a fun little exercise to check speed readings accuracy I've been doing lately. Also to check out the effect that angular paths through the chrono have. Kinda fun.

Shooting prone, I shot my 7RM through my Pro Chrono which was sitting precariously on a 4x4 block about 15' from the muzzle. Only level thing sitting around on the range. I got fairly high readings similar to previous sessions, or at least within 15 fps but was concerned about dust and dirt and pebbles being blown all over the thing. The 7 tends to do that. :cool:

For target platforms, I generally use cardboard boxes with rocks inside to stabilize them then staple targets to them, making sure the targets are level to the earth with a small carpenter's level. 100 yards. This makes the bottom of the target about 6" off the ground and the top about 18". Out there at the target I found more crap lying around and used it to form a base for the chrono inches in front of the target. So now I'm measuring the speed at 100 yards.

Using Nikon's Spot On ballistics program with projectile, altitude, temp, and bar press plugged in, I found that the 2 measurements were exactly what is predicted given speed A at 15', and resulting in speed B at 100 yards. 3490 slowed to 3250. This vindicated my 15' readings. It's kind of cool to see objective measurements of predicted outcomes. I did this in part because previously I thought I was seeing too much drop at 200 yards from speed A.

BTW, the box thing works great. No frame to worry about shooting or need for a level surface because box placement on the ground is very forgiving and they can be manipulated easily, and the targets can be put anywhere on them. Plus they're free, and most importantly labor free. I do this from 100 to 500 yards. Bullets go through and don't disturb anything. Wild shots at long ranges may be off the intended target (cuz some dots are within a few inches of the edge of it) but they're never off the box. Later I take photos with a real camera (not cel) of the targets with load data and all. Then I have a portable record of it, also showing the shape of groups, not just a record of size.

"American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all."

I'm out of Calif. for now but I hope you all organize a march on Sacramento, FearNW. Newsome is about to end all shooting there if he gets into the Gov. mansion. Imagine having to drive to Sac 120 miles away instead of Reno 30 miles away for ammo. Lulus under the influence are wrecking the state. And just wait until you retire and they tax your retirement savings. It's disgusting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.