What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Do you use MOA or MIL

• MIL

Votes: 277 27.2%
  • MOA

Votes: 741 72.8%

• Total voters
The way I learned it, using the meters and Mil's has always been easy for me. I'm sure, had I learned yards and MOA first, I'd say using that system has always been easier. 6 to 1, half dozen to another.:)

Moa just seems more intuitive to me. Especially at mid ranges where you can mostly eliminate the digits behind the decimal point.

I use both. Once I got past the mental block of MOA ONLY I'm fine with either.

I generally prefer MIL based reticles though as they are not as fine of graduations. MOA to me are too cluttered that subtend every MOA.

You are the one pulling the trigger and spending the money so get what you want. MRAD is easier for me to quickly adjust for and it's not because I was in the Army. I carried a 249 saw for a personal weapon and BRM is more of a crash course with no optics so I was trained how to watch tracers smack into plastic silhouettes. Tactical has nothing to do with my choice. If you need me to tell you what to use, drop off your rifle and ammo and I'll get back to you. May require some testing to see what your rifle likes.

I started Using MIL Reticles in the Military over 20 yrs ago. Im confident in my ability with it so I stick to what I know. My friends an MOA guy.

I have both types and use the MOA the most. I live in Iowa and more than 1-200 yards is the norm. I just set up for a 200 yd max shot and aim on center, depending on wind speed and direction.

+ marks the spot...or very close to it for me.

The shooting group that I compete with (12 or more of us). Three of us use MOA the rest are MILS. Mils are the new rage.

My scope is MOA / MOA (turrets clicks & reticle) and also have a custom turret with measurements printed on the elevation in yds., but still has MOA clicks. This way I can count clicks if the distance is more then 900 yds. and not count clicks if 900 yds. or less. Just turn to the distance in yards. :)

joseph

PS: In the picture you can see it adjusted to #2 which is my 200 yd. zero. It is calibrated for 4,500 feet elevation.

I guess I'm not up to understanding why I need a label to tell me where my zero
or say 10 minits would be. But whatever for whoever. As for hunting, as long as you
know your equiptment and have the ability to use it, I cant see where anything else
matters much. There are still lots of guys using old 1/4 min scopes with a single dot
reticle who eat their share of venison.

When I started using ranging optics just like most it was moa turrets and mil dots. I went to mil hash/mil turrets because I thought that being used to the reticle it would be much easier to convert. But I decided one day to switch things all to moa because it just felt like dialing moa turrets and switching to mil turrets was a much harder changeover than relearning a simplified reticle

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.