Whats wrong with the good ole 7mm?

Of course you can do that - the same can be said for just about any cartridge. They just weren't offered in that configuration in factory rifles. All things are possible with custom rifles…
Ok so I guess where we might disagree is the factory perspective. I don't personally think there should be anything factory about long range hunting. At least factory ammo. If you are buying factory ammo to shoot in a factory rifle I don't accept that. I can see factory rifles being acceptable. But a factory 7rm will (generally) outrun anything in its class with light or heavy bullets in my experience. And the same cannot be said for just about any cartridge. You cannot build a custom 7mm-08 to shoot 180 grain bullets at 3000fps. You can with a 7rm. Which is what I'm pointing out. It's the perfect capacity IMO to do great things with 180 class bullets. That cannot be done with every case.

Last edited:
Never being a 7 fan AT ALL. I just decided wth? A friend likes his 7-08 over the 308win because he says the recoil is less? I proved him wrong. Since he likes the 7-08 I surprised him by building 1 in an AR. Well couldn't have just 1 7, so I git a 7saum AR. Differences come with choices, long, short, magnum and non. Flavors for all. 1 might be more efficient and others offer highest velocity in that caliber?

...been using one since BigGreen first chambered the 700 in it...never heard a single complaint from any big game animal I hit with it..always used the 140 Nosler Partition at around 3000fps...great "if I could only have one " cartridge. All of the manufacturers constantly have to into so called miracle guns and cartridges to promote sales but overall they can't touch this old time tested warhorse...

No belted mags head space from the belt. It makes them a little harder to get the head space set exactly right on, and over time they tend to separate at the belt if you don't pay close attention when inspecting your brass for reloading.

I reloaded thousands of 7mm Mag and 7STW and saw only a couple starting to separate though. Never had a "case failure".

At one point I seriously considered rebarreling my 7STW to 7mm Rum and just decided I'm pretty happy with what I have and I'm smart enough to be careful about evaluating my cases when I reload them.
As a reloader, you don't have to "head space from the belt". You can treat the belted case just like a non-belted one and set your sizing die to just bump the shoulder a couple of thousanths. Simply ignore the belt.

I am a 7mm remington magnum freak. It was the first high power rifle caliber I bought when I was a freshman in high school. I poured over the reloading charts at the time looking for fast and flat. All things kept pointing to the 7mm RM. This was about 1980. I know have at least 6 or 7 of them. I do like a good 300 win mag and if I had to take one thing for the world over, it would be a 375 h&h. However, the 7mm RM is my go to for 99% of the hunting I do. It is my all time favorite. There is nothing under the sun.....

There is a lot of truth in the above statement. I shot a 7 Rem Mag for 25 years and it did everything I could hope for but then you get involved in places like this and think you need at least a 180 gr pill and now your old barrel is the wrong twist.
By the time you get to the distance that the 180 out performs the 160 gr in a 7 Rem mag, you need more gun anyway.
Powder capacity rules, not just heavier higher B C bullets.
Even in a 7 ultra mag you will be out to about 1200 yds before the heavier bullet takes over.
About 90 percent of all animals shot at long range are less than 1000 yds, most of them much less than 1000 yds.

All of these folks complaining about the belt make me want to have reamers made. Same exact dims as each belted magnum except for no belt. Then turn the belt off the brass. I'm going to call the entire family of ex-belted mags the "Extra Snazzy" as-in the .264 Win Extra Snazzy, the 7mm Rem Extra Snazzy, the .300 Win Extra Snazzy, etc.

It's going to make me a fortune and soon people will be wanking about the E.S.'s instead of the CM's. How they're all marketing and no better than a .264 Win or a 7mm Rem, or a......

Then I'll bring out a belted 6.5 Creedmoor and watch the world implode.