6.5 300

Who is killing Elk with the 6.5 300 and are you happy with it?
I shot a nice 6x6 bull in November in New Mexico with my 6.5 x 300. 341 yards. He took 2 steps and stopped. Probably didn't have to but put another round in him. He took 2 more steps and dropped dead. Hand loaded 143 ELD X. Fast becoming my go to rifle

I shot a nice 6x6 bull in November in New Mexico with my 6.5 x 300. 341 yards. He took 2 steps and stopped. Probably didn't have to but put another round in him. He took 2 more steps and dropped dead. Hand loaded 143 ELD X. Fast becoming my go to rifle
What muzzle velocity

It's the fastest 6.5 and the I think the best hands down especially with Peterson making brass now
With heavy for cal 156 Berger's it will do whatever 7mm will do IMO
If your worried about power I would always just go 30 cal
Buts it's definitely suitable for elk down
I wouldn't hesitate with mine out to 700 yards if I had time for the shot

I shot a 6x5 bull with a barnes 127 gr lrx at 3538 per second just under 200 yards and I destroyed a coyote at 860 yds same bullet. Took an aoudad at 480 same bullet. I do have a load recipe for the 143 ELDX. I was thinking about maybe something a little heavier like the 156 berger maybe I'll play with that this winter

Late to the thread, but I love using the 127 gr Barnes LRX. It's worked beautifully on 3 whitetail, a black bear, a mountain goat, and a large moose. All 1 shot kills except the mountain goat, which needed a second to ensure it anchored before it got to the cliffs. I'll be using it on a cow elk hunt in February and let you know.