This is whats wrong with hunting today

I'm partially posting this in response to the wonderful discussion @Huntnful started about smaller calibers. This is not a bash on small caliber hunters or anyone else for that matter (including the man in the video). Flash to the 5:50 mark and indulge. Please tell me that I'm not the only one who is shaking my head in disbelief that guys like this are presenting info to people as if the round is actually the "Ultimate hunting round" IMO this is preposterous, with highly inaccurate and incomplete comparisons. This is what's wrong with hunting and especially long range hunting these days. Wondering if I'm not the only one here?

Maybe if the 22 caliber 75 grain? projectile was going 4000 fps could it impart enough energy to compete with the 175 grain projectile. Sounds like a stretch...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240709-130709~2.png
    Screenshot_20240709-130709~2.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20240709-130834~2.png
    Screenshot_20240709-130834~2.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 33
Oh wait. We are going to cherry pick the high bc 22 bullets but limit them 7mm to old twist rates and " standard" bullets. My 7 mag shoots the 180's just fine thank you.
Yes. Because saami twist rates. The entire point of 22cm is a fast twist. Otherwise it's the exact same thing as a 22-250.
There's no point for 7prc to exist when 7rm does, except twist rate.
Same with 6.5cm vs 260rem, 6cm vs 243 win. They are all so close to each other there's no purpose for the new one except the old ones have slow twist rates and don't stabilize the bullet for full bc nor terminal stability.
If you're building a custom gun then you could already do what you wanted. But no one was doing a 1-8 284 factory barrel until the 7prc came along. No one was doing a factoy 1-7 22-250. No one was doing a factory 1-8 260 rem.
The vast majority of 7rm rifles are a 1-9.5 twist. Because that's the spec. It doesn't properly stabilize the berger 180 sea level standard day. 1-9 barely gets there and you're only good down to 50F.
Hopefully we're all aware putting straight holes in paper doesn't tell you anything about in flight or terminal stability.

Now this is a personal preference but I don't like to be right on the bleeding edge of stability for terminal reasons and so I don't have to care about density altitude effecting if I should pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Yes. Because saami twist rates. The entire point of 22cm is a fast twist. Otherwise it's the exact same thing as a 22-250.
Same with 6.5cm vs 260rem, 6cm vs 243 win. They are all so close to each other there's no purpose for the new one except the old ones have slow twist rates and don't stabilize the bullet for full bc nor terminal stability.
If you're building a custom gun then you could already do what you wanted. But no one was doing a 1-8 284 factory barrel until the 7prc came along. No one was doing a factoy 1-7 22-250. No one was doing a factory 1-8 260 rem.
The vast majority of 7rm rifles are a 1-9.5 twist. Because that's the spec. It doesn't properly stabilize the berger 180 sea level standard day. 1-9 barely gets there and you're only good down to 50F.
Hopefully we're all aware putting straight holes in paper doesn't tell you anything about in flight or terminal stability.

Now this is a personal preference but I don't like to be right on the bleeding edge of stability for terminal reasons and so I don't have to care about density altitude effecting if I should pull the trigger.

Saami twist rates....🤦‍♂️

SAAMI doesn't control anything. It's literally just a guideline. A company can make a barrel twist rate whatever they want.

They can but they almost never do until recently where you have the old cartridge and the new both offered.
SAAMI standards are voluntary. Even they say so.

I'm sure there is interest. However, most folks don't have the $$$ for an African hunt. They tend to focus on North American game. Having hunted in Africa, I can affirm that I've never felt a chill like hunting game that would rather eat you for lunch or trample you into dust just for the heck of it. Its hard to fathom that you just don't matter in those situations. They belong there, you dont.
Heck, it's cheaper to do three African hunts than it is to be an out of stater and try and kill a dall sheep.