Nightforce vs Leupold

Was a NightForce user for a while & Leupold prior to that. Had quality & durability issues with the last couple scopes so have moved up the ladder, & tried several more brands & finally ponied up for a couple top tier optics. Settled on one.
Really opened my eyes to how sub par my prior
Scopes were. Just wish I'd made the jump earlier
Would've saved me some money.

YMMV.

Was a NightForce user for a while & Leupold prior to that. Had quality & durability issues with the last couple scopes so have moved up the ladder, & tried several more brands & finally ponied up for a couple top tier optics. Settled on one.
Really opened my eyes to how sub par my prior
Scopes were. Just wish I'd made the jump earlier
Would've saved me some money.

YMMV.
What did you end up with?

I bought the F2 ATACR for that reason so I couldn't tell you. I figure if I'm using the rifle to correct for elevation or wind I'm probably at max power (16x). Would not be the case with a 4-32.
And now that I see in your original post you were looking for a FFP I realize my input might not be the most helpful. Sorry. Much more accomplished hunters than me use the NF FFP reticles with great success in a variety of situations. If I was only hunting open country I wouldn't worry about it. Hunting timber where shots can be close and dark is different. I like a scope that goes down to at least 4x (3x is better) and has a fast useable reticle at that magnification. No 5-25 scope fits that bill for me. I have a couple FFP scopes that are 3-12 or 3-18 with bright enough illumination that they work fine even at the lowest magnification in any light.

I should've also specified that the NX8 I had was the MILXT reticle. The MIL-R is thicker, I think. It could very well be useable at lower magnification than the reticle I had. So maybe don't listen to me.

I have both of the scopes you are contemplating. The glass is better in the Leupold and it's easier to get behind. I've read of a lot of the not returning to zero or tracking properly but so far mine is running true.

I only run the NF up to 32x if trying to look at something in detail, otherwise it rarely goes above 20x. The reticle and turrets are spot on.

I have both of the scopes you are contemplating. The glass is better in the Leupold and it's easier to get behind. I've read of a lot of the not returning to zero or tracking properly but so far mine is running true.

I only run the NF up to 32x if trying to look at something in detail, otherwise it rarely goes above 20x. The reticle and turrets are spot on.
On the 32x NX8, is the reticle pretty usable in that 12-16 power range?

Yeah I'm a little worried about being able to see the reticle on low power hunting.
What is your actual, real world, would take a shot at max range? And which specific reticles are you looking at?

Most of my hunting scopes are Leupold Firedot duplex (VX- 5s and 6s) because I don't use the reticle at all out to 400-500 yards. I stay under 10x almost 100% of the time for FOV reasons. Even if I dial up the uncluttered, open duplex reticle is better than how much stuff gets blocked by the Christmas trees.

At the opposite end of the spectrum I have NF ATACRs w/ Tremor 3 reticles (those are about the busiest reticles around), but they're impractical and IMO actually a hinderance inside 500 yards. Tremor 5 was a good upgrade, and IMO Horus scopes are actually pretty decent if you look at them. I put one on a 6.5 PRC hunting rifle this year.

Out past 500 out to 1000 the TT Gen 2 XR is my favorite F1 hunting reticle by a long shot, because of how open it is. Everything else feels cluttered.

What is your actual, real world, would take a shot at max range? And which specific reticles are you looking at?

Most of my hunting scopes are Leupold Firedot duplex (VX- 5s and 6s) because I don't use the reticle at all out to 400-500 yards. I stay under 10x almost 100% of the time for FOV reasons. Even if I dial up the uncluttered, open duplex reticle is better than how much stuff gets blocked by the Christmas trees.

At the opposite end of the spectrum I have NF ATACRs w/ Tremor 3 reticles (those are about the busiest reticles around), but they're impractical and IMO actually a hinderance inside 500 yards. Tremor 5 was a good upgrade, and IMO Horus scopes are actually pretty decent if you look at them. I put one on a 6.5 PRC hunting rifle this year.

Out past 500 out to 1000 the TT Gen 2 XR is my favorite F1 hunting reticle by a long shot, because of how open it is. Everything else feels cluttered.
My max on game would be 700 to 800 yards. I was looking at the MOAR reticle. I'm really after a do it all rifle scope. I would like to be able to take a close shot in timber or an 800 yard shot if I needed. I'm not convinced that an F1 scope is what I need for that application, so trying to do my research. $2,000 is a lot of money to me, so want to make the right choice.

Would love a Nightforce NX8 F2 with an illuminated 4A reticle. Silly that Nightforce has this reticle available but will only offer it in Europe. Seems like it would be very easy to offer as an option in a NX8.

Would be a perfect hunting scope (like the Leupold firedot) if you don't really dial from 0 to 300 yards, but then you would have a very reliable tracking scope if you wanted to shoot past +/- 300 yards and needed to dial. Basically like my Leupold VX-6HD, but with Nightforce tracking reliability.

Anyone else feel/think the same?

From Nightforce website:

4A (Europe Only)

SKU: 4A (Europe Only)Categories: Minute of Angle (MOA), Reticle, Second Focal Plane
Posts at the 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions bring the eye quickly to the target, but unlike many heavy, bulky plex-style reticles, the 4A provides an exceptionally clean, uncluttered field of view. This makes it ideal for running game, as well as on stationary targets, virtually anywhere in the world. (Not available in North America)
It provides fast target acquisition at closer distances, while fine center crosshairs allow precise shot placement on the smallest targets at extended ranges.
The Nightforce™ 4A is available in illuminated and non-illuminated versions, depending upon which SHV™ riflescope you choose. It will serve you well wherever your hunting travels take you.

My max on game would be 700 to 800 yards. I was looking at the MOAR reticle. I'm really after a do it all rifle scope. I would like to be able to take a close shot in timber or an 800 yard shot if I needed. I'm not convinced that an F1 scope is what I need for that application, so trying to do my research. $2,000 is a lot of money to me, so want to make the right choice.
NXS 3.5-15 x50 would work perfect for you.
Under $2000 and mine have worked flawlessly and simple to use.

Last edited:
If you haven't used a FFP scope my advice would be to find a friend who has a one and spend some time using it at the range to see if you really like it or not. I bought a 4-16x42 ATACR MOAR F1 for one of my hunting rifles, mechanical works as it should, retains zero, etc. But, I am not sure I am crazy about the FFP reticle, for my old eyes it is not really usable (readable) until you get above 7 power or so and the scope is heavy at 30 oz. Great scope, just not sure FFP is for me. Hence me recommending the 2.5-10 NXS. YMMV