Interesting article on bear spray vs. bear handgun defense

So maybe instead of spray while in tent?🤷🏻‍♂️ 3 piece heavy duty.

I'm glad that some entrepreneur has finally gotten around to filling this gaping hole in the arsenal required for open field combat. Especially before the walls of Troy, if we are called to Turkey. It will also prove of great value in close quarters combat, supplying a need that cannot be underestimated. I think (?) Colonel Cooper counted a good spear as second only to his famous scout rifle. Peter Hathaway Capstick once attacked a cape buffalo with a native spear, emerged chastened by that mistake. Also, Sacha Semiel, "El Tigrero", a Pole in Brazil, killed many many jaguars with a spear, though his had a necessary crosspiece, to prevent the jaguar from running up the shaft to maul him while dying. And let's not forget Ron, King Arthur's spear. The "Pig Stickers" of the English Raj, the halberds of the Swiss Guard. Or the great ashen spear of Peleas, that Achilles would throw and then run to catch midair before it could strike the ground.

Bear Spray is a mix of "Preppers" mainly CAPSAICIN

WOW
Bear spray is a specific aerosol deterrent designed to discourage aggressive or charging bears. Its active ingredients are highly irritant capsaicin and related capsaicinoids derived from red chili peppers. When faced with an aggressive bear, a user points the canister and sprays the contents for 2–3 seconds. The maximum effective range varies by manufacturer but is generally effective when sprayed at a charging bear from a distance of 1.5 to 3 meters

I actually need to pull up the effect of "Capsaicinoids" on HUMANS-MAMALS.
It really does not have some effect for someone on drugs or high "Adrenaline" release in the brain. This happens on all mammals. The "Fear-Flight" takes effect. SO in a situation you either RUN or FIGHT and ADRENALINE kicks in. Basically, when that natural drug released in the brain nothing will stop the animal.
CN & CS Gas does have a dramatic effect on humans and animals, but you can't get it anymore.
I had the "CN" - "MACE", and "CS" "Tear Gas" Spray in Cans that were about 11" X 1.5" back in the 70s before they Banned It and changed to a CAPSAICIN type spray. It was said that a "Drug Induced" person would not be effected by "CN" MACE "CS" but Peppers burning the eyes and respiratory would stop the person. IT DOES NOT effect if a person or animal had ADRENALINE kicking in.

Pepper "CAPSAICIN "Spray is used by the Government is said to be much more effect than CN (MACE) CS (Tear Gas) Gases.
It all comes down to lability. Try to get some CN or CS in Aerosol or any other forms these days.

If I was going into an are with "Bears" actually Black Bears are mean. I know I hiked through the Appalachian for many Years training to stay in shape for mountain climbing. I carried my dad's Remington Rand 1911 .45 all the time. Sometimes slept in a small shelter with Chain-link Fence to lock us in at night on Mt LeConte.
Anyone that thinks that "Bear Spray" Pepper Spray will stop a charging or Peed off Bear will have that area left with Bear Scat to include the Humans and the can of Bear Spray.

Now not to say that you have to shoot all Bears that you see. A lot of Bears will RUN the other WAY!!!!
You can not go into bear country unless you know what you are doing and the bear's environment. I have had encounters with some small and BIG Black Bears here in North GA.
I would never use a Spray Can. The time it takes you to "SPRAY" a Bear it is already on you.
When Hunting I always carry my S&W Model 29 6". It is not a thing if I am in bear country or not. I know that I have a back up from my rifle whether it is a .22 or .325wsm.
Just be Safe when hunting and don't make mistakes just because you read something in a magazine.
If any predator is within 3 meters it shall be shot on the spot. Most people can’t regain any sight picture after a shot if a bear is 10 meters away and charging for a follow up shot. There’s a point of return for any predator. If they have canine teeth then if they aren’t showing fear they get shot. That’s how I was taught and I’m teaching my boys. If a predator gets close enough you absolutely need to shoot them you waited too **** long. Endangered or not folks need to have self preservation. Remember it’s your story verse the dead or wounded predator if you’re dumb enough to report it. But at least you’ll still be alive! Rules and regulations are just ink and paper and won’t help you in the time of need one bit.

If any predator is within 3 meters it shall be shot on the spot. Most people can’t regain any sight picture after a shot if a bear is 10 meters away and charging for a follow up shot. There’s a point of return for any predator. If they have canine teeth then if they aren’t showing fear they get shot. That’s how I was taught and I’m teaching my boys. If a predator gets close enough you absolutely need to shoot them you waited too **** long. Endangered or not folks need to have self preservation. Remember it’s your story verse the dead or wounded predator if you’re dumb enough to report it. But at least you’ll still be alive! Rules and regulations are just ink and paper and won’t help you in the time of need one bit.
They put that "This Side Toward Bear" on those cans of spray for a reason.

In a most tragic event last summer a couple in their 50s (I think), very experienced in the outdoors, were killed along with their border collie by a grizzly sow in Banff national park, Alberta, Canada. It is of note, the first responders found an emptied can of bear spray at the scene (as well as the bear, which was shot and killed when it took a run at the responders as well). A man, a woman, and a dog all killed in one violent encounter with a single bear, bear spray or not.
Any evidence the bear brought the spray to season its meal????

I’ve had the thought that this might be a good strategy. Douse myself in pepper spray so that I’m too spicy to eat…just my luck, I’d run across one of those Cajun bears!!!!
I've read that bears sort of like the spray, as long as it's not in eyes or breathed in. Bears have been seen to roll around on their backs in grass that caught a bunch of pepper spray. I'd never depend on spray. A gun is final. Trying to choose between the two is likely to prove fatal.

Carry an adequate gun, don't shoot bears that aren't threatening you. Be aware of what's around you - stumbling on a bear's food cache can prove deadly. If you get the attention of a mama and yearling cub(s) you may die in a training exercise. Two or more people in your group is better bear protection than being alone - the animal's an experienced predator, uses cover like an Apache, silent - but he'll like approaching prey that can only see in one direction at a time.

I've read that bears sort of like the spray, as long as it's not in eyes or breathed in. Bears have been seen to roll around on their backs in grass that caught a bunch of pepper spray. I'd never depend on spray. A gun is final. Trying to choose between the two is likely to prove fatal.

Carry an adequate gun, don't shoot bears that aren't threatening you. Be aware of what's around you - stumbling on a bear's food cache can prove deadly. If you get the attention of a mama and yearling cub(s) you may die in a training exercise. Two or more people in your group is better bear protection than being alone - the animal's an experienced predator, uses cover like an Apache, silent - but he'll like approaching prey that can only see in one direction at a time.
Oh my gosh that’s kinda funny, the bear liking it. Reminds me of my littlest and oldest dog, Tikka (that way I can say I have a tikka as well 😁). Most dogs HATE really spicy things, we had heard that sprinkling cayenne pepper around the garden plants would keep the dog away from them with digging a such when she was a pup. To our dismay, she followed my wife around DELIBERATELY LICKING UP THE CAYENNE POWDER 🤣. She is a strange animal, it worked with the other dogs. She’ll be 11 soon, a wire haired daschund Jack Russel terrier cross, a real lion heart trapped in a frail and small body haha. She is wise in her old age, when she was younger she almost got herself killed or mauled a number of times because there was NOTHING ON EARTH she would back down from 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_8141.jpeg
    IMG_8141.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 9
I’ve had the thought that this might be a good strategy. Douse myself in pepper spray so that I’m too spicy to eat…just my luck, I’d run across one of those Cajun bears!!!!
Funny not funny
About 15yrs ago a tourist here in Jackson sprayed his kids down with bear spray thinking it was like bug repellent.