Bear defense shotgun.

280aiyote

There is a tripple barrel shotgun out there and was wondering, since alot of Alaskan guides carry shotguns for bear defense. And in Africa the double rifle is king, so why not combine the 2 together. Remember reading magazines as a kid in the docs office about hunting in Africa and read that even with a semi auto you would be lucky to get of 2-4 rounds before the animal was cleaning your ribs up. So why not use triple barrel shotgun?

Because a pump action shotgun would be just as fast and can hold 5 rounds or more with an extended magazine.
Weight,cost and cumbersomeness might be other issues for a triple.
makes sense. I'm not a elk or bear hunter so I've never had to worry about about them charging me on the east coast here.

......Weight,cost and cumbersomeness might be other issues for a triple......

Multi barrel firearms are not new, 4 barrel shotguns exist as well. Given the advances in firearms and ammo, practicality is better served by a variety of more common firearms.

Practicality rarely defines discussions surrounding defending ones self from dangerous game. I covet a good double rifle for stopping Cape Buffalo. Practicality would make that the most useless firearm in the safe, as the probability of me ever seeing a Cape Buffalo isn't encouraging.:rolleyes:

Just curios, why would ya want a pump over a semi in big bear country? Brenneke slugs is a good choice, probably what I would choose too.

What Rick said.

Semi-autos are more complicated, and more likely to jam, compared to a well maintained 870. Semi-autos are great when they don't fail to feed. At that point, they become single shots and remain that way long enough for the bear to disable you, and continue feeding until you expire. :eek:

What Rick said.

Semi-autos are more complicated, and more likely to jam, compared to a well maintained 870. Semi-autos are great when they don't fail to feed. At that point, they become single shots and remain that way long enough for the bear to disable you, and continue feeding until you expire. :eek:
Okay, wouldn't want to Bear bait. Thanks.

I know one local who was mauled by a local brown bear in early spring. The bear was camped on a winter-kill moose carcass. His Rem semi-auto 30-06 rifle jammed after the first shot. Only thing that saved his life was his backup 44 Mag S&W revolver. His face was in the boars mouth when he unloaded the last 4 shots by "feel" into the underside of the bear. The boar released him and trotted off, never to be seen or heard from again.
Man spent a couple weeks in the hospital. Reconstructive facial surgery. Many broken facial bones.
Hope the boar died a painful death. :mad:
Guy looks pretty good now, 20 yrs later. But his face still shows evidence of the bear mauling. Was very fortunate to survive that whooping...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.