Interesting article on bear spray vs. bear handgun defense

Very interesting to learn you can carry a side arm in NP. I talked with a person at GNP prior to visiting. They told me firearms are prohibited. It was probably just a park service office worker that answered the phone. I sure would have felt better on some of those remote hikes with a side arm.
Same at Organ Pipe N P. south of Tucson. Although there the animals are better armed. Sign to that effect on the park Hq door. Wouldn’t do to scare Woodsy Owl.

We can debate spray versus hand guns all we want, but if training is ignored all the talk goes out the window. If your fire base is getting hit or a bear is charging at you it is guaranteed your heart rate will skyrocket and your fear level will raise exponentially. This is were training, practice and the ability to calm down quickly will prove to be a real life saver.
I carry both spray and a sidearm when I’m in bear country. Diversity of protection is not a bad thing.

Very interesting to learn you can carry a side arm in NP. I talked with a person at GNP prior to visiting. They told me firearms are prohibited. It was probably just a park service office worker that answered the phone. I sure would have felt better on some of those remote hikes with a side arm.
I just learned this last year. You can carry in a park, but not in the buildings.

We can debate spray versus hand guns all we want, but if training is ignored all the talk goes out the window. If your fire base is getting hit or a bear is charging at you it is guaranteed your heart rate will skyrocket and your fear level will raise exponentially. This is were training, practice and the ability to calm down quickly will prove to be a real life saver.
I carry both spray and a sidearm when I’m in bear country. Diversity of protection is not a bad thing.
I always carry both also. What you stated is
very true. Last October I had plenty of time to think about what to do because I watched the griz at 244 yards covering up last week's deer carcass. When he was done and dropped off into canyon was when I started thinking what I was going to do if he came out of canyon by me. About 20 minutes later my buddy spotted him on the ridge across canyon coming our way. When he dropped into creek bottom about 75 yards below us I pulled pistol and spray out
Sat spray in front of me and kept pistol in hand and videoed with phone in other. Buddy had pistol out and videoing for proof if we did have to shoot. He walked towards us, lifted leg and ****ed. Walked a little more and took a drink. Walked directly below us and stopped. I set phone down and grabbed spray with left hand. Pistol in Right. He looked up towards us and I'm thinking if he sees us move he may charge up the hill. I had time to think what I'm going to do. If he starts up hill I'm spraying. If he keeps coming I'm dropping spray and shooting with both hands and buddy shooting also. The griz started walking down the trail thank God. But when it went out of sight around 75 yards I when I feared it would come up hill to where we were. We finally saw him reappear on trail about 200 yards down. I asked my buddy, let me see your hands. We were both shaking . He said it's a little cold. I said yes it is and a little adrenaline also. I ranged from where we were to where bear was. 24 yards. That was close enough for me. I was lucky it wasn't a surprise charge or walked up on him when covering carcass. I know some have already seem photos. The last photo is a griz on my week before elk carcass. Sorry for long post.🙄
original_b4a20dde-f7e3-46aa-87c2-f9d4f183192a_Screenshot_20240213_122112_Photos.jpg
original_9c2baf31-7e6b-41d1-8146-b22202bf4254_Screenshot_20240213_122553_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240213_121654_Photos.jpg

I always carry both also. What you stated is
very true. Last October I had plenty of time to think about what to do because I watched the griz at 244 yards covering up last week's deer carcass. When he was done and dropped off into canyon was when I started thinking what I was going to do if he came out of canyon by me. About 20 minutes later my buddy spotted him on the ridge across canyon coming our way. When he dropped into creek bottom about 75 yards below us I pulled pistol and spray out
Sat spray in front of me and kept pistol in hand and videoed with phone in other. Buddy had pistol out and videoing for proof if we did have to shoot. He walked towards us, lifted leg and ****ed. Walked a little more and took a drink. Walked directly below us and stopped. I set phone down and grabbed spray with left hand. Pistol in Right. He looked up towards us and I'm thinking if he sees us move he may charge up the hill. I had time to think what I'm going to do. If he starts up hill I'm spraying. If he keeps coming I'm dropping spray and shooting with both hands and buddy shooting also. The griz started walking down the trail thank God. But when it went out of sight around 75 yards I when I feared it would come up hill to where we were. We finally saw him reappear on trail about 200 yards down. I asked my buddy, let me see your hands. We were both shaking . He said it's a little cold. I said yes it is and a little adrenaline also. I ranged from where we were to where bear was. 24 yards. That was close enough for me. I was lucky it wasn't a surprise charge or walked up on him when covering carcass. I know some have already seem photos. The last photo is a griz on my week before elk carcass. Sorry for long post.🙄View attachment 581804View attachment 581805View attachment 581806
It's kinda like being in the garage of Hell's Angels with their bikes, hoping they don't notice you......

In a most tragic event last summer a couple in their 50s (I think), very experienced in the outdoors, were killed along with their border collie by a grizzly sow in Banff national park, Alberta, Canada. It is of note, the first responders found an emptied can of bear spray at the scene (as well as the bear, which was shot and killed when it took a run at the responders as well). A man, a woman, and a dog all killed in one violent encounter with a single bear, bear spray or not.
That's tragic. Well, that makes me think bear sprays will only **** them off than ward the off.