Bear defense shotgun.

Kinda like the guy that was filming and living with the bears that got killed by a bear and even though the bear was a film star, he didn't appreciate it and turned on the film maker. The bear just did what nature designed him to do.

If a person thinks he can reason with a bear, He has watched to many movies or never had an encounter with one of them. Remember what Forest Gump said "stupid is as stupid does".

J E CUSTOM

Kinda like the guy that was filming and living with the bears that got killed by a bear and even though the bear was a film star, he didn't appreciate it and turned on the film maker. The bear just did what nature designed him to do.

If a person thinks he can reason with a bear, He has watched to many movies or never had an encounter with one of them. Remember what Forest Gump said "stupid is as stupid does".

When that bear sees you only 3 things go through his mind. Something to eat, something to mate with, and something to fight with. I really don't want nothing to do with the first 2.

Just to place things in perspective, The type of shotgun and it's dependability is important but it must be fed good ammo also to be effective.

My choice for dangerous game (Like Bear) would be 000 Buck shot
because of the number of .36 caliber hits with one shot. The chances of hitting a vital area with 10 - 70.6 grain 36 cal bullets are much better,
and with 5 rounds that's 50 chances compared to 5. No doubt the slug has more energy but in a panic situation chances of a less than lethal
hit are much greater.

I have killed charging Hogs with a shotgun and it was very effective at stopping a very ****ed of animal intent on hurting me in there tracks.

So my recommendation is to pick the best weapon for your needs and feed it the best ammo. Your life may depend on it.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Ultimate Bear Defense Ammo:
If you've read this Thread, you already know I choose and use a Rem 870 shotgun as my bear defense firearm.

For years, the best ammo for my bear defense use was Brenneke slugs. And in factory shells, they are very capable bear stoppers. Even with solid torso hits at the close ranges where defensive encounters occur. Slugs are a single projectile and require good marksmanship to nail the target. When defending against charging bear, I want every advantage I can get. After all, the loser ends up dead, as often as not.

Tungsten (TSS) buckshot are the ultimate bear defense round for my needs and use. I now have a source for #4B, #1B, and #0000B TSS buckshot. I've already pattern tested the #4B and #0000B. Patterns are good for bear defense with the proper choke. A friend in FL and here in AK have also done some pattern testing. My preference has been #1B or #0B in my 12ga. My supplier is now making #1B available, and I will be pattern testing it in the near future.

Penetration
: Throw away everything you know or ever knew about lead buckshot penetration, when thinking TSS penetration. My pattern testing was @ 25yds. TSS #4B penetrated live birch trunk 2", and #0000B penetrated 4".

My FL friend will be shooting FL hogs with TSS #4B and #1B as time and hogs allow. Our supplier ran ballistics for him on the #4B through a shotshell ballistics program. TSS #4B is projected to penetrate 8" of ballistic gel @110yds from a starting MV of 1,200fps. 110yd retained velocity of ~765fps.

I hope I never need to stop a marauding or charging bear. But I feel certain TSS buckshot gives me the highest odds of survival.

Bad part of it is, TSS buckshot must be reloaded, and it's pretty expensive to pattern test. However, I consider it a bargain compared to medical bills - or worse... :eek: ;)

Last edited:
D6A15D4E-8EAA-4520-A0E6-6E5BF1D9901A.jpeg
I'm hoping to get some TSS buckshot on hogs as soon as the weather cools off some. Here is a pattern I shot in testing.

10ga. 3oz of 4buck 18g/cc tungsten

40 pellets 100% pattern in 22" at a lasered 60yds!

People are killing turkeys with this stuff using #9 shot at 70yds.

Given only the two options, that pattern or lighting, I think I'd prefer being struck by lightning. At least I'd have a chance... - of surviving a lightning strike...

After thinking about it a 12 gauge shotgun is too small!
I want a BIG double rifle like the one Ian Carter carries. I saw him shoot a big elephant coming on the run in the forehead and knock it on it's butt! So it has at least 5 or 6 times more mass than a bear? It should knock a bear flat. How many tons of energy
does a rifle like that make?

.500 Nitro Express 570 gr (37 g) FMJ/SP 2,150 ft/s (660 m/s) 5,850 ft⋅lbf (7,930 J)

In North America cartridges such as the .500 Nitro Express see little use as no North American game species requires the cartridges in the same class as the .500 Nitro Express. Nevertheless, there can be no doubt that the cartridge would be a very effective stopper against a charge by one of the large bears or bison should it be carried in the field.

Last edited:
:) Along that line, I have a couple friends that carry double barrel shotguns for bear defense. Poor man's double rifle at close ranges.

Overkill is a phantom. No such thing. Only limitations are the recoil limitations of my shoulder joint and brain. Also, I have to be able to carry it, and it has to be legal to own.

Very interesting. As a quick aside, are sandhill cranes really the prime rib of the sky? I need to get into birding/sporting clays like I need a hole in the head but if there is tasty meat involved I might be interested.
BINGO! Cranes, at least for me taste very similar to moose. So much so that I remove the breasts and cook them as steaks. Phor's down with this; if you like duck and moose you'll love cranes as they're somewhere between those two delicacies.

It is hard to beat a remmy 870 for function, but with that said, I jammed mine a few months ago when a murderer was on the loose and possibly in the area. As I was strategically placing firearms in readily accessible places, my 870 jammed. I was wanting to leave the action open with a full magazine. I had to remove the barrel to clear the jam. Never happened before in 47 years of use. I have a fairly new mossberg 935 semi auto 3.5 inch, I have it with me for camp defense in bear country, but I have to be honest. The gun only has about 15 rounds total down the tube on geese and I had two cases where the bolt didn't close all the way chambering a new round. Could be a lube issue, but time for some testing. Same thing goes for why I like a wheel gun handgun for backup, aka taurus raging bull 454 loaded with 300 gr nosler partions at around 1700 fps.

Did I mention I also have a Ismash (Russian Made SAGA) With a 20 round 3'' mag :):).

Not good for bears but is scary for home defense. Even though it is a simi auto it appears to be very dependable.

J E CUSTOM

I had a Rem 870 that would fail to feed due to a weakened magazine spring, and only then with heavy payloads 3" magnum shells. Gun was about 35yrs old. The original mag. spring had never been replaced.
Under heavy recoil, the mag spring didn't hold the shells in the magazine flush back against the shell catch. The shells would move forward and because I worked the action fast, by the time the shells came back into place in the magazine under spring force, I'd already closed the bolt on an empty chamber.

Good example of why any self defense weapon must be function tested with the ammo you intend to save your life with. My 870 functioned fine with all lighter recoiling loads. But not with the heavy 1 7/8 and 2oz loads of lead shot. The heavy recoil of the heavy loads caused the magazine spring compression and turned my 870 into a single shot shotgun. Had to rack the action a 2nd time to feed a shell from the magazine to the chamber.
I researched 870 upgrades and reliability issues from some tactical use sites on the internet. My current shotgun has been completely cleaned and fine tuned with replacement of all suspect springs and other parts viewed to be potential weak links to reliable performance. The best I could do. I trust it with my life now.

I think the best defense for me is to stay away from bears and where they hang out!
At 65 there are some things that aren't worth it? Like swimming in the ocean?
There are things there that could eat bears! So Kentucky is good.
Lol...
That reminds me of the saying, "I'm not afraid of the dark... I'm afraid of what's IN the dark!"

Older I get, the more afraid I am of what's in the dark too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.