26 Nosler Wildcats

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
So, my 7mm STW is pushing a 180 Hybrid to 3,000 with only 71gr of IMR 7828 SSC with no pressure signs, and I could go higher...

So the 7mm Nosler is ballistically identical to the 7mm STW...But it's beltless and requires almost 20 more grains of powder for equal number efficiency.

Also, the initial tested BC (according to Berger) for the 7mm 195 VLD is G1 .794, and G7 is .406. Don't know if that helps your QL calc's, just figured I'd try to help.

I wouldn't go so far as to call them exactly equal as the new wildcat is all theory. IMO the external ballistics will be closer to each other than to any other.

If the velocity produced at any given pressure is the "same" then the STW would have more efficient internal ballistics.if it takes greater pressure in the STW than the Nosler well that's part of the puzzle and now we have a pretty cool learning and sharing opportunity.

But first the 338/26 Nosler. I guess we could find a 338/8mm Rem Mag to compare to.:)

Please hurry up PTG:D

I want to use the 338/26 Nosler on my first Elk hunt.

With my 338/26 Nosler reamer ordered and a collection of actions and barrels I feel its time to start a thread devoted to this platform.

I will not be making a real 26 Nosler. It's been done so why bother.

To recap the calibers/chamberings I would like to achieve:

458/26 Nosler
416/26 Nosler
375/26 Nosler
358/26 Nosler
338/26 Nosler
308/26 Nosler
284/26 Nosler
277/26 Nosler

Design philosophy/goals:

• One set of go/no-go gauges.
  • Sizing dies will form a set of brass forming dies or a set of generic form dies can be used.
  • One case length period!
  • Neck length as designed will adapt per caliber just by diameter change only.
  • The longest seating of bullets will fit in a standard LA magazine.
So here is the cell phone picture of most of the caliber/chamberings from the previous post. The 358/26 Nosler is not in the picture becuase the forming steps did not produce one and I don't have a 358 expander.

33718d1397011120-338wm-rechamber-vs-rebarrel-img_20140408_193526.jpg

My friends at McWhorter rifles just built a 28 based on that case. "Nosler 26 Necked up to .284. 3200+ fps with 180 Berger VLD-Hunting bullets" First one shot 1" at 300 yards with 82grs of Retumbo with some room to go up.

My friends at McWhorter rifles just built a 28 based on that case. "Nosler 26 Necked up to .284. 3200+ fps with 180 Berger VLD-Hunting bullets" First one shot 1" at 300 yards with 82grs of Retumbo with some room to go up.

That's the idea.

If you can get any more info it would contribute to the sharing. In example, did he deviate from the 26 Nosler in any way besides caliber?

Can I get the reamer maker and print number and permission to use it or rent or buy the reamer. Did he get a resize reamer made?

I guess, based on interest, I should pursue the 284/26 Nosler before the 308/26 Nosler. OMG that's a lot of inletting. Oh well gotta do it sometime.

Just neck sized the 26 Nosler with a 7saum die.. He has dies coming from Redding. Has reamer for 28 and 30 already. This cartridge will scream with N570 when it is available again.

If your just doing a simple neck up and all other dimensions are staying the same I would talk to Whidden, you can have a set of carbide die reamers made then they can use that one set to build all your different cals and get them in a reasonable time and price.

If your just doing a simple neck up and all other dimensions are staying the same I would talk to Whidden, you can have a set of carbide die reamers made then they can use that one set to build all your different cals and get them in a reasonable time and price.

Yes. You can just take a 7 ultra die and cut it. That's what Tim did today.

Fred, thanks much!
I made an input error in QL.

I missed the over bore setting for the 284, it has to be changed from .5 to .33.

That upped the predicted velocity to 3138, more inline with actual seen by McWorter Custom Rifles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just talked with Tim McWorter very nice guy.

He will be using his reamers so much that I won't be able to rent or buy one. Tim said I could use his reamer prints from JGS.

The dimensions are strait off the 26 Nosler case. As seems popular MCR made a dummy round and sent it to JGS. JGS vs. PTG, no a problem.

I've been happy with PTG products but if I get lost in the shuffle, I'll have to go where I can get reamers.:D

Called PTG for an update, waiting for the update. Could be later today could be tomorrow.

Called Dave Manson Reamers. Some how managed to get Dave. Wow, as nice as Tim.

He has go/no-go gauges in stock so they are on the way along with a couple more of Manson's excellent tuning and crowning tools.

I like Dave. In the next day or so I may order one or more of the calibers from him.

I just talked with Tim McWorter very nice guy.

He will be using his reamers so much that I won't be able to rent or buy one. Tim said I could use his reamer prints from JGS.

The dimensions are strait off the 26 Nosler case. As seems popular MCR made a dummy round and sent it to JGS. JGS vs. PTG, no a problem.

I've been happy with PTG products but if I get lost in the shuffle, I'll have to go where I can get reamers.:D
Maybe they've stepped up their customer service since I talked with whoever it was I talked to over there. But whoever I talked to was an a-hole.

They still won't get any of my money.

Maybe they've stepped up their customer service since I talked with whoever it was I talked to over there. But whoever I talked to was an a-hole.

They still won't get any of my money.
Sorry to here they treated you badly. I'm sure if Tim found out he'd fix it.

I probably will not use them for anything but not because of any action their part. I just make my own.

JfSeaman,

Do you know the wall thickness of the 26 Nosler brass ?

Also have you checked to see if the body of the brass will pass the feed rails on your mauser and the two remingtons? According to what I have read the 26 Nosler is a shortened RUM case. I have not been able to get a RUM case to go past the feed rails of my Rem 700 which was a 300 win mag nor will it pass the feed rails of a Mark X mauser clone. Will you be altering your rifle's?

thanks

Ross

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.